• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnsley 1 Southend United 0

Yep, spot on Dave.

That's why I wasn't talking about Moore.

Think YB was the one who mentioned him.
I guess you are talking about McClousky specifically then. If you were to send him back to Bristol City, which youth striker would you replace him with?

Wabo or Ba I think.

I also felt the same last season when Harrison was getting game time.

Wabo or Ba I think.

I also felt the same last season when Harrison was getting game time.

Problem with Harrison is he was played wide rather than up front most of the time so we didn't get to see him in his correct position. I'd prefer Ba over Wabo but although Hutchison isn't a striker, he clearly knows where the net is and I'd like to see him in the role Dieng seems to be played in at the moment

Yep worth a try, Dave.

Having seen both Ba (away at MK Dons) and Wabo (Home to Fleetwood) I feel it's worth at least trying them for 20 mins here and there than loaning them out.

or Ba ,WABO OR ANY OFF THE YOUTH STRIKERS WHO ARE SCORING GOALS FOR FUN AT PRESENT,Its a dilemma to which SCP has to find an answer and soon before playoffs become out of reach,

No need to shout! I think saying they're scoring goals for fun in the U23's is pushing it, Wabo perhaps, but I can't recall Ba scoring too many this season.

FWIW I've only seen Ba and Wabo in their cameo appearances last season and in a couple of pre season games. Whilst they've both shown glimpses of ability I'm not convinced either's ready to start.

As others have said it's a huge step up to league 1, I'd love to see more youth team players do a Dru, but sadly most won't make it as pros. Personally I would like to see Wabo and Ba get some more minutes from the bench, and I'd start both in the next league trophy game.

Last edited:
was this offside;
lines.jpg

By youth I meant they had not appeared for their parent club at 1st Team level so only have youth experience there.

Hope that clarifies it a little better.

I was also thinking more the likes of Harrison, Amos, King and so on as well as McCoulsky

But McCoulsky’s the same age as Moore (21, turning 22 later this season). Both have appeared for the Bristol City first team, both have been loaned out several times; both were out on loan at League Two last season (McCoulsky at Newport; Moore at Cheltenham).

It seems a spurious distinction to call one a youth player but the other not.

McCoulsky wasn’t even part of the Bristol City youth system as he joined them from Dulwich Hamlet, where he’d been playing men’s football.

McCoulsky hasn't started a match for Bristol City.

My point is that these guys have no more experience at League One level than our own players.

Shoot FFS. If we had players who did that rather than two too many passes/try to walk the ball into the net Barnsley would have had a real problem at half time. As it was we were 0-0 and less effective second half. We seemed to settle for a point at 75 mins and really slowed down. That proved fatal. Moore was unmarked/ challenged as he ran in and rose to head. One or two are totally to blame for that. We looked a good L1 side at times and matched Barnsley. The possession stats lie because they almost always played the ball out slowly from their keeper without creating much from it. Both teams gave the ball away uneccessarily too often. we should be celebrating at least a point from an entertaining match.

ON loan Southend United defender Taylor Moore felt defeat was harsh on the Shrimpers at Barnsley on Saturday.

More...

Had only just recovered from the shock of paying full young adult admission price (£18) for my 9 year old grandson (yes, I know, I should have read the small print about this iniquity) when some attractive interplay found Bunn a few yards out but he screwed his shot wide under pressure. Blues fans had risen in anticipation in front of me and slumped back down, cursing our poor finishing yet again. We continued to play some good stuff but did not threaten a goal, a Cox long shot straight at the keeper being an example. Barnsley were not up to much, but Moore needed watching of course. Our midfield was bossing it but when in good positions were too often misplacing passes or getting caught in possession.

With the wind, the home side were always going to be more of a threat and so it proved, hitting the bar twice, the second chance being one where you could almost see the net bulging. But the chance was missed and Coxy put us one up with a clinical finish to a delicious through ball from Dru. Or had he? No said the lino, although the later evidence suggests that the goal should have stood. But Barnsley also had a goal ruled out for offside, whether fairly or not I don't know.

Kites replace Bunn and we wondered why, because once again, for me at least, it showed that he has nothing to offer now. Theo lost the ball with his first touch and then came the winner when the ball was curled in from a corner and very close to the line, their Moore climbed higher than our defenders and game over. Heartbreaking really, we had defended very well and must mention some outstanding blocks by the returning John White.

We were the equal of highly placed Barnsley, whose fans were plainly disgruntled until the face-saving header. As were drove away in solid traffic I felt such a deep frustration that for the umpteenth time in my 62 years of watching Blues, we had once again conceded at the death.

CP has been dealt a very bad hand with injuries. He has players on the books who have long and expensive contracts which must run down before he can call the squad one of his own choosing. It is going to be tough for him and us. Let's keep the faith. He deserves that at least.

Why do so many of you claim we deliberately sit back or are instructed to do so by CP and PB before him.

Home sides often up their game as do the crowd in the second half. If you need any proof just remind yourself we have only scored 1 goal in the first 45 at RH this season. I’m sure the 8 visiting managers haven’t all decided to sit back second half.

Back