• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnsley 1 Southend United 0

Evening Echo

The News
KIEFFER Moore’s late header saw Southend United slip to a heartbreaking 1-0 defeat at Barnsley this afternoon.

More...

The Big Dady posted the following right at the end of the Match Thread:

'£750,000 Kieffer Moore scores his 8th goal of the season.

Can we compete with that sort of spending power?'

From what i can make out we did for the vast majority of the game...

Paid the price for negative tactics IMO. Played really well and had the better of the first half by getting in their faces, pressing and looking to attack. Then in the second half they come out, either on Chris Powell’s orders, or by their own accord, doing none of us those things and just sitting back and timewasting playing for a 0-0. A risky tactic relying on conceding no goals for a point when you can’t defend from set pieces. Bunn looked threatening and was our best winger so don’t understand why he was subbed off for Kightly who hasn’t done anything all season whilst McLaughlin who has was sat on the bench. Also don’t understand why Oxley kept targetting Cox instead of Dieng with goal kicks, he isn’t a target man and never will be so stop giving him the service of one.

On a more positive note, apart from a couple of dodgy moments, Hendrie seemed comfortable at left back and played well linking up with Bunn down the left. Looked more like the player we had on loan than the one we’ve had since his return.

Looking forward to hearing from brave souls at the game about the early missed chances and late goal.
Missed early chances; late goals conceded - it's clearly in the players' subconscious.

Chris Powell said:
“I sound a bit like a broken record. Some of our approach play is top League One standard but we need to take them chances. I can’t keep saying it.”

“The players are heartbroken. It’s tough to take but we’ve got two cup games and we need to use those as a springboard. We can’t dwell on what’s happened before. The players know I will back them. We’ll bounce back.”

:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Paid the price for negative tactics IMO. Played really well and had the better of the first half by getting in their faces, pressing and looking to attack. Then in the second half they come out, either on Chris Powell’s orders, or by their own accord, doing none of us those things and just sitting back and timewasting playing for a 0-0. A risky tactic relying on conceding no goals for a point when you can’t defend from set pieces. Bunn looked threatening and was our best winger so don’t understand why he was subbed off for Kightly who hasn’t done anything all season whilst McLaughlin who has was sat on the bench. Also don’t understand why Oxley kept targetting Cox instead of Dieng with goal kicks, he isn’t a target man and never will be so stop giving him the service of one.

On a more positive note, apart from a couple of dodgy moments, Hendrie seemed comfortable at left back and played well linking up with Bunn down the left. Looked more like the player we had on loan than the one we’ve had since his return.

To be honest, I don't think we played negative tactics, SCP played with the best (depleted) hand he had been dealt, and imo we were as equal as they were in terms of attacking and defending for the majority of the match, i think he got it about right considering.

Neither team had each other in their back pocket so to speak.

Just really unlucky, that we concede late again.

Is this something to do with Oxley not commanding his area. Conceding like this is happening too often.

To be honest, I don't think we played negative tactics, SCP played with the best (depleted) hand he had been dealt, and imo we were as equal as they were in terms of attacking and defending for the majority of the match, i think he got it about right considering.

Neither team had each other in their back pocket so to speak.

Just really unlucky, that we concede late again.
How depleted the squad is, is irrelevant. The tactics in the first half were spot on and we would have gone in 2 or 3-0 up with more clinical finishing. The tactics clearly changed in the second half to be more defensive and settle for a point instead of the 3 we went out trying to earn in the first half. We were nowhere near equal to them in the second half and I’m not sure how you can say we were, were you at the game?

The goal wasn’t unlucky, it had been coming for the past half an hour, they hit the post, hit the bar, missed one on ones and came close on numerous occasions. I think Chris Powell is doing a great job, especially in the circumstances we are in at the moment so I don’t want to be too critical, but playing for a point was unneccessary when we had played so well in the first half and only served to invite them on to us and the winning goal was inevitable.

I got back from the game about half an hour ago and to be fair I reckon everyone was a 6, everyone did the job they were asked to do nothing more nothing less.

As for Dieng and Cox up front I'm not sure that is what happened, sure Dieng tried to push up but the two of them seemed to be trying to be in the exact same place for the first 20 minutes or so then Dieng slowly drifted into midfield.

one major annoyance is that every kick Oxley took was a long one, at no point did he try and play out which may well have proven a lot more successful and may be something to work on in training.

another bugbear was that too often we seemed to win the ball in a crowd of players and have a bit of space only to pass the ball back into the same crowd of players and lose it.

The home fans complained loudly about timewasting and they may have a point it seemed to take an age for us to take throw ins and goal kicks which doesn't necessarily play to our strengths.

as for the score, I'd say it was about fair, the goal was coming and we seemed to be clinging on rather than pushing forward for a large part of the second half, I'm pretty sure if Theo had come on to play with Cox rather than replacing him we might have given them something to think about, especially as Dru seemed to be favouring his groin at times in the second half.

Only seen them a few times this season and on each occasion we've been 'nearly but not quite'. Today was no different - we nearly came away with a decent point from the 4th placed side - but not quite. If we'd had Hopper in the side I think we'd have won this - for me he's the only injury we have where there isn't adequate cover in the squad. My gut instinct when the goal went in was that the keeper should have done better, but their 19 was causing us increasing problems in the air as the game went on and to be fair the ball in made it hard for him to miss - I've seen the best keepers in the game get ambushed like that so I'm not being too hard on Oxley. Also don't know what's going on with McCoulsky - maybe he doesn't pull his weight in training and doesn't deserve a game, but giving him 2 minutes at the end of each game isn't doing him or us any favours.

Oxley - 7
Moore - 8 - best game I've seen him play. been suspicious of him until now.
White - 7 - distribution let him down on occasions but dependable as ever.
Turner - 7 - reads the game well
Hendrie - 7 - we didn't miss Coker today as this lad stepped up. Hope he can keep it up.
Demetriou - 8 - was our best player first half.
Mantom - 6 - Seemed to sit in front of the back 4 in the first half, then swapped with Dieng for the second.
Yearwood - 7 - the pick of the midfield 3.
Dieng - 6 - started well, but faded.
Cox - 7 - doing Hopper's job, can't fault his effort.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell was left ‘heartbroken’ following the Shrimpers’ 1-0 defeat at Barnsley.

More...

The last 2 games were always going to be very tough but we did at times match or even play the better football. We now have a run of games 6 at home before Xmas including 2 cup games where hopefully we can gain some momentum and start to take more of our chances. We are still top half and only 5 points of play offs so all still to play for. Keep the faith !!

The last 2 games were always going to be very tough but we did at times match or even play the better football. We now have a run of games 6 at home before Xmas including 2 cup games where hopefully we can gain some momentum and start to take more of our chances. We are still top half and only 5 points of play offs so all still to play for. Keep the faith !!

I'm keeping it! But Hopper's a miss as our attacking play was built around him and we don't have a replacement. Powell needs to change tactics to reflect that we don't have him any more and to utilise what we do have. Playing Cox with his back to goal isn't going to work in the long run.

A game of two halves because of the strong wind blowing into the away stand. We made good use of it in the first half, they made better use of it in the second half.

Unfortunately, we didn't learn from the earlier corner that Barnsley had where the wind caught the ball and swept it on to the bar.

For the goal, again the wind seemed to sweep the ball towards our net, catching out our defenders and Oxley. I thought the ball might have gone in anyway even if no one had touched it.

This was my game of the season, so can;

I liked the look of Dieng in the first half but as others had said, he faded.

Cox was on a hiding to nothing, upfront on his own, but he didn't stop running.

Bunn and Kightly were disappointing. They are supposed to wingers but I can't remember either of them beating their man today.

I'm keeping it! But Hopper's a miss as our attacking play was built around him and we don't have a replacement. Powell needs to change tactics to reflect that we don't have him any more and to utilise what we do have. Playing Cox with his back to goal isn't going to work in the long run.

Yeah hopper is the biggest miss out of them all. It is time to play 2 up top with cox being one but in the whole. We need to go wth 2 wingers and get balls in the box , time for Theo and mccoulsky to show that they can do it at this level.

Ok... So here is my iFollow view of today's games

First half... Apart from the one clear chance that Moore had in the first half that Oxley came off of his line to thwaught I believe we coped with their front 2 well. We bossed the midfield with many Barnsley passes going astray and the midfield created some great counter attacking moves that could have led to a more positive scoreline.

HT - happy with a clean sheet and overall performance.

Second half - Barnsley were never going to have as poor of a second performance as they did in the first. Not sure what people who said we had negative tactics in the second half were watching. Moore was more of a nuisance and their substitutions livened them up where as our initial ones more about consolidation. I still felt that our midfield were more solid than theirs. The home fans were not happy overall with the performance that their Top 4 side were delivering. I was however happy with what we're had delivered. They were always going to be a threat at corners due to Moore. His goal scoring abilities iare not new to us. He was our undoing yet again. But considering the formation options and personnel that CP had available today we went toe to toe with a Top 4 team and got knocked out in the final round.

To summarize this performance on the back of a Sunderland performance where we showed that we can be a match for some of the favorurites in this division gives me faith that earlier performances that led to defeats are now behind us... Luton away was one of those.

Sounds as if performances against Sunderland and Barnsley had similarities.
1st halves, we had the better of it...
2nd halves. opposition came into it more.
Substitutions, relegated championship teams have greater quality in depth, and bring on better quality subs,( so they should with their financial clout) we bring on anyone who can walk. ( slightly unfair to our squad)

Back