• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
I doubt anyone on here went to Barnsley for the Cup replay in 1938, in which case we have played at Barnsley 19 times in the League since 1959-60 plus another cup replay in 2007. So have you been to Barnsley before? any memories.

I was a late starter my first visit wasn't till 1992 and have been five times in all:

15th February 1992 Barnsley 1-0 Southend United
Our first season in Division Two, although 5th in the table Dave Webb had announced the fall out and that he wouldn't be with the club the following season.

17th April 1993 Barnsley 3-1 Southend United
The Barry Fry period, Stan Collymore scored our goal, we were struggling in 19th place but of course avoided relegation on the last day of the season.

23rd October 1993 Barnsley 1-3 Southend United
Still Fry and reaching our best, Ricky Otto two fabulous goals and one from Bretty Angel if anyone could put the clip up of these goals it would be treat for us all.

8th October 1994 Barnsley 0-0 Southend United
Whelan in charge now and a bore draw with us in 16th place.

17th April 2006 Barnsley 2-2 Southend United
Steve Tilson now in charge and we were top of Division One (and would be champions of course) Goals from Mark Gower and Freddy Eastwood. It was Easter Monday the crowd was over 10,000. and that included nearly 2,000 shrimpers if my memory serves me well?

Originally we were on an open terrace, but then while they were building the new away end we were on the old stand to the right which was very confined, a bit like Peterborough this year. Finally the new stand was opened with capacity for 6,000 away fans if required.

I think I went to all five by train, I remember one of them (not sure which one) there were quite a few of us and the police put us in one carriage. They warned us that previously they had trouble with Barnsley fans throwing bricks at the train as it went under a bridge near Barnsley. They asked us to keep colours away from the window and if their should be any problems to get under the tables to get away from flying glass. As we got near Barnsley a Policeman entered the carriage yelling get under the tables which we all did. However we didn't hear any broken glass just the police wetting themselves in fits of laughter. Wouldn't be allowed now,

The 2006 was a bit of a mission what with it being Easter Monday. Travelled up with Spaceman Spiff and it was three different trains from London.

The last train we got (perhaps Sheffield to Barnsley?) was a proper little local train that looked like it had been in use since the 1940s, running right past people's back gardens.

Couldn't get in to the leisure centre (!) for pre-match beers but a good friend is a Banrsley fan so got us in to a locals pub for a couple post match.

And that Freddy goal... :Worthy:

That 1-3 win in Oct 1993 was memorable not least for the Otto goal from way out on the left. Spoke to him later about it and he described it as " a crossy cum shoty". I remember that Barnsley came right back into it but we held on for a fabulous win. Would be fabulous to repeat that on Saturday.

Did Barnsley in 2006 on the coach - think if we won we were promoted. My eldest's first ever game, and she was so bored she ended up speaking to Ldnfatso all match.

Did one of my first ever away games at Barnsley in 1979. I was still at school, but allowed to join 12 other Shrimpers on the train there. We were sat in the main stand with the non-playing Southend players and I was sat next to Terry Gray. What a nice bloke!

My memories of the game are sketchy, but think Allan Clarke, the ex-Leeds great, scored first for Barnsley, which turned out to be his last ever goal. We ended winning 2-1 with the winner coming from Derrick Parker.

The locals were their usual friendly selves, but managed to sneak onto the train without being caught. The Barnsley team poster I bought for a friend, probably saved us!!

That 1-3 win in Oct 1993 was memorable not least for the Otto goal from way out on the left. Spoke to him later about it and he described it as " a crossy cum shoty". I remember that Barnsley came right back into it but we held on for a fabulous win. Would be fabulous to repeat that on Saturday.

Hopefully this link will work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WZpGGLwRIw

I doubt anyone on here went to Barnsley for the Cup replay in 1938, in which case we have played at Barnsley 19 times in the League since 1959-60 plus another cup replay in 2007. So have you been to Barnsley before? any memories.

First visit in 1966/67. Steve Ingle's finest (only?) hour in a Southend shirt scoring both goals in a 2-1 win. He only scored one more goal before moving on to Wrexham. Signed to replace the wonderful Eddie Firmani - didn't come close.

Went the following year too, with a point from a 1-1 draw. John Baber scoring.

Was there for the 1993 and 2006 games mentioned. I remember the 1993 game for the wonder of seeing Otto at his best and standing on what seemed like a bank. And then 2006 Eastwood scored a goal after bambozalling (is there such a word?) the Barnsley defence with quick feet.

Also remember a replay F.A. Cup game - memorable for a Maher thunderbolt from outside the box. I think the game was a draw at Roots Hall with a very late goal from Barnsley that was knocked in by a player's hand. Was that the game where a certain Ronald Martin paid for coaches to the replay such was the sense of injustice?

Was there for the 1993 and 2006 games mentioned. I remember the 1993 game for the wonder of seeing Otto at his best and standing on what seemed like a bank. And then 2006 Eastwood scored a goal after bambozalling (is there such a word?) the Barnsley defence with quick feet.

Also remember a replay F.A. Cup game - memorable for a Maher thunderbolt from outside the box. I think the game was a draw at Roots Hall with a very late goal from Barnsley that was knocked in by a player's hand. Was that the game where a certain Ronald Martin paid for coaches to the replay such was the sense of injustice?

.... almost

First visit in 1966/67. Steve Ingle's finest (only?) hour in a Southend shirt scoring both goals in a 2-1 win. He only scored one more goal before moving on to Wrexham. Signed to replace the wonderful Eddie Firmani - didn't come close.

Was at the same two matches as you Mick and have not been back since. Can't remember anything about the matches, well it is nearly 50 years ago apart from that big slag heap behind the goal which is now the away end. I think we went by coach for the first game but the following year I think we travelled by the luxurious "Bonzmobile"?(I will never forget those fig biscuits).

Went to that 1967-68 match on Supporters Club coach.Recall at the start of the journey home,the driver pulling up to let some get out to chase some Barnsley fans down the street (not me I 'Ve always been a pacifist).

8th October 1994 Barnsley 0-0 Southend United
Whelan in charge now and a bore draw with us in 16th place.

Went to this one.

We had beaten Sunderland away (again!) the week before, but this was an altogether less enjoyable match.

Remember it being pretty lifeless, although I vaguely remember someone hitting the bar.

Was a really warm day and it would have been nice to be out on the open terrace, but instead we were bizarrely given the entire old stand along the side and were crammed into the corner, with the rest of it being empty.

Those who haven't been before, the main stand on the other side is huge and quite impressive.

Thanks DoDTS for the link. Happy memories indeed. What would Ty B give for a cross like that from Gary Poole for our first goal? No wonder Fat Barry was able to convince Karen Brady that Ricky O was a striker!

Last edited:
Was a really warm day and it would have been nice to be out on the open terrace, but instead we were bizarrely given the entire old stand along the side and were crammed into the corner, with the rest of it being empty.

Those who haven't been before, the main stand on the other side is huge and quite impressive.

Yes - partly reminds me of Swindon Town (and Oldham in the past) where the camera shows the impressive main stand opposite from ........ a less than impressive stand.

Yes - partly reminds me of Swindon Town (and Oldham in the past) where the camera shows the impressive main stand opposite from ........ a less than impressive stand.

Yep, exactly that.

I think It's covered on all four sides now and is pretty impressive there.

Been to Barnsley at least a couple of times - stood behind Alison Moyet on one occasion (don't think we impressed her much with our singing) and I seem to remember on another occasion I got so bored with the game I decided to watch the cricket game going on in the field behind the away end!

Back