• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Barnsley FC vs Southend United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the ninth away game of the 2018/19 season and the 18th League One away game since Chris Powell’s return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our ninth away match is against Barnsley FC.

SkyBet League One.jpg
image.pngVS.pngSUFC.jpg

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at The Oakwell, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow.

Chris Powell's 9th Southend United League One Away Team of the 2018/19 season and will be wearing our new Light Blue away kit.

DrFUanTWkAAavvv.jpg

The Oakwell is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 3rd November, it looks like we are going to have an overcast afternoon with a Southerly fresh wind, at least it does not look like it is going to rain.

DrFFSNwWkAMampO.jpg

DrFKltkX0AE6NuZ.jpg

The weather forecast for day at The Oakwell

BarnslryvSUFC Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current away record after 17 games

Won 7
Drawn 4
Lost 7
Goals scored 16
Goals conceded 21

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18) Southend United
22nd (2017/18) Barnsley (Relegated from the Championship)

League Positions Current Season

4th (2018/19 Season) Barnsley
11th (2018/19 Season) Southend United

Recent League Positions Change

BarnsleyvSUFCPositions.png

Previous five Meetings

Barnsley 0-2 Southend United (L1 12/03/16 Att. 9,903)
Southend United 2-1 Barnsley (L1 17/10/15 Att. 6,572)
Southend United 0-1 Barnsley (FAC4 25/01/08 Att. 7,212)
Southend United 1-3 Barnsley (Champ 14/04/07 Att. 10,089)
Barnsley 0-2 Southend United (FAC3r 16/01/07 Att. 4,944)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 17
Draws: 15
Barnsley: 13

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views

Barnsley

Andreas Winkler (Assistant Head Coach) talks to Barnsley OS before the game

Winkler: "It will be another tough game."

Andreas Winkler believes it was essential for Barnsley to return to winning ways against Bristol Rovers last weekend.

The Reds responded to back-to-back defeats through Alex Mowatt’s sensational first half strike and further tightened their grip on a top six spot.

“It was very important to get the three points,” insisted Winkler. “The way that we won was very dirty or ugly, but it doesn’t matter; it’s all about the result and how we fought back as a team.”

One player, in particular, who has stood out in recent games is Cameron McGeehan, as he has stepped in magnificently to fill the void left by Kenny Dougall.

With the Australian midfielder now potentially out until the New Year with an injury suffered at Shrewsbury Town, McGeehan will be looking to cement his place in the starting line-up and his performance against the Pirates will certainly have done him no harm.

“Cameron played brilliantly when Kenny was with Australia [for the Luton Town game], so he was very close to being in the starting line-up,” continued Winkler. “Now he’s in the team and is doing his job very well, and you can see he is much more confident than before.”

Southend United travel to Oakwell on Saturday on the back of a heavy 3-0 defeat against Sunderland at the Stadium of light last week.

The Shrimpers are without a number of key players for this Sky Bet League One clash, most significantly, perhaps, Tom Hopper, who had bagged seven goals this season before damaging his cruciate ligament against Walsall last Tuesday.

Chris Powell is also missing Ben Coker and Harry Lennon after the pair suffered serious injuries against the Black Cats and the Saddlers, respectively, while Sam Barratt and Lewis Gard are also side-lined.

However, Winkler is anticipating a stern test for Barnsley on Saturday and will be taking nothing for granted as his side look to maintain their unbeaten home record this campaign.

“They have a direct style of football, but they also have lots of possession so, in some ways, they remind me of our style,” said the Reds’ Assistant Head Coach. “They’ve either won or lost nearly all of their games this season – I think they’ve only had two draws. I think they’re much better than their position in the table shows and it will be a tough game.”

Full text can be found here:-

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2018/november/andreas-press-southend/

Southend United

Chris Powell talks to the Southend United OS before the game

Powell: “We’re going to get on with it."

Chris Powell says Southend are entering a “critical time” following the recent injury news to hit the squad.

Tom Hopper and Ben Coker were ruled out for the remainder of the season at the start of the week with cruciate knee ligament injuries, and Harry Lennon the week before found out he would be out until the New Year with a fractured leg.
Sam Barratt and Lewis Gard are also sidelined with ACL injuries, and the mounting problems caused the Blues boss to cut a frustrated figure at Thursday’s press conference.

“It’s a very critical time for us,” said Powell. “In many ways I’m not one to bleat about this too often but this has really hit us hard.

“I’ve got to make everyone aware that we’re missing some key players, mainstays that have earned the right to be in the team on a regular basis.

“You just can’t legislate for what’s happened to us.

“Listen, we’re going to get on with it, without a doubt. That’s why you have a squad and players to come in if people get knocks or suspended, but this is a long time now for them with regards to recuperation and recovery.

“I just can’t believe it. You normally get a serious injury once a season at best. I’ve gone through seasons where you haven’t had a major one for two or three seasons.

“But for us to get four serious knee injuries and one broken leg is tough to take.

“I’m desperately sad for those players in particular. I know they’ll get on with it and they’re all different characters, but they’ll be stronger for it.

“Sitting here now it’s really tough to take.”

Blues travel to South Yorkshire this weekend to face Daniel Stendel’s Barnsley side.

The Tykes are fourth in the standings and ended a two-game losing streak by beating Bristol Rovers last weekend.

“Like most teams in the division, they’ve had their ups and downs even though we’re not too many points away from them, and we think our season has been up, down, up, down,” Powell added.

“They lost at Charlton and Shrewsbury but bounced back last week against Bristol Rovers.

“They’ve got a certain style and way of playing and some decent players, like a lot of League One sides.

“We need to pick ourselves up after last week’s game at Sunderland where for the first half an hour, or the first half as a whole, we were well in the game.

“The game changing moment was the Dru Yearwood incident and then they score a wonderful, outstanding strike with the second goal. Then you’re chasing the game.

“We’re now having to prepare for this game, and it’s a busy period coming up, so
we’ve got to deal with Barnsley and their threats and go from there.”

Full text can be found here:-

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2018/november/chris-powell-barnsley-preview/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Ah, it's the return of our old mate - Kiefer Moore.

Up against Taylor Moore, no less.

Woodrow there, on the bench, alongside George Moncur, I see.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell has made two changes to his starting line-up for this afternoon's clash at Barnsley.

More...

Nice touch from iFollow to treat us to a shot of the cameraman cleaning his lens with a gloved hand as soon as I switched on!

Back