• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Barnsley FC vs Southend United

I think if you look at my original picture in post #98, it looks like our defender (demi?) and their number 20 are on the goal line, and Oxley looks slightly ahead of them, so i would say he did come forward for it, but only probably by a matter of about a yard or two.

Nothing dramatic about my post, maybe it's you getting over dramatic?..... i just said, i "fear" it's going to be bad luck for us, as we put in a brilliant hard earned effort, and should have walked away with at least a point, but sadly, left empty handed.

BTW....Where did I compare us with Bradford and Wimbledon??... & compare us to relegation fodder?... I don't know where you got that from?....your words not mine.

Yes, we are leaking goals, and have goal scoring issues, (with which you clearly agree) and will probably struggle to the results we deserve on the back of that game.

However, we've got some easier games coming up next (on paper), against Blackpool, Wimbledon, and Scunthorpe, so hopefully we can snatch a few points there.
Because you posted so close to full time I didn't realise that by 'the worst' you were referring just to the last few minutes of that match rather than the season as a whole. Since I thought you were talking about the whole season the worst to me implied you were talking about ending up in a relegation fight. Apologies for misinterpreting your words.

Last edited:
I feel exactly the same. Very tough time to be a Blues fan right now and it’s different to last season when a change of manager could be a light at the end of the tunnel. Powell’s pretty blameless in this and it could be a long season.
But then again we go and beat Blackpool at home in the next lge game we are back in the top 10!! Its ok we will be fine

But then again we go and beat Blackpool at home in the next lge game we are back in the top 10!! Its ok we will be fine

Yep. Absolutely possible and sorry if people think I’m being overly negative. I think you could tell by Chris Powell’s body language in his pre-match interview on Thursday that he sees these injuries as a pretty big problem himself.

I agree that we could go and beat Blackpool. My concern is what happens if we get on a bit of a poor run. I felt like we were lacking up front even before Hopper got injured. Simon Cox and Theo Robinson had both chipped in with a few goals but it was Hopper who either of those played off of. We don’t look anywhere near as potent without him.

I honestly think we’ll get by and cope without Ben Coker and Harry Lennon, but Hopper is going to be a big miss.

League One squads need targetmen style strikers because of the direct nature of some games or parts of games. We need to be able to mix up our tactics so that in some games we play pretty passing football which gets us all out of our seats, and in others we get a scrappy 1-0 with it going in off someone’s backside.

I think Chris Powell agrees with this too otherwise why else would he be experimenting with Tim Dieng further forward?

I do think at some point he’ll try changing our style of play to get the most out of Theo Robinson and McCoulsky, or at least I hope for that.

In January hopefully we’ll bring someone in to help out but I am expecting it to be a bit of a struggle til then.

Hopper has scored 7 goals and contributed 6 assists, that is, he has been involved in more than half the goals we have scored this season. Without his contribution we would never have got to even a midtable position. As we have no one on the books capable of filling his boots we have to evolve a different way of playing. The last two games with a rejigged formation resulted in no goals and no points, albeit against top six sides. Apart from one game, our midfielders have not contributed any goals and unless we can make better use of Robinson and McCoulsky, it is difficult to see where the goals are going to come from. These situations are a test of managerial and coaching abilities so Powell really has to show his mettle over the coming weeks.

he's done well, but if someone had played his minutes, who's to say they wouldn't have had say 5 goals and 4 assists? its disingenuous to just wipe all his stats off the slate as he would have been replaced.

he's done well, but if someone had played his minutes, who's to say they wouldn't have had say 5 goals and 4 assists? its disingenuous to just wipe all his stats off the slate as he would have been replaced.
As the last two games have shown, he hasn't been replaced!

As the last two games have shown, he hasn't been replaced!
That's a pretty small sample size, especially considering we played two of the best sides in the league and likely set up to be more defensive as a result. We managed to score 2 goals after he got taken off against Walsall, which suggests we aren't going to completely dry up without him.

Back