• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Barrett on the brink of being announced....?

The New Den is probably the away ground I hate the most, cold & sterile place totally devoid of atmosphere. Roots Hall maybe falling apart but I wouldn’t swap the atmosphere in a packed West Stand for Millwalls ground any day...

I would not say that, travelling Shrimpers created a good atmosphere on Sunday 22nd August 1993 which was the first ever League game played at The New Den.

The attendance was 10,273 and Southend won the game 1-4 with Lee, Otto, Mooney, and Ansah scoring for us, and Kerr scoring for Millwall.

:LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter:

I would not say that, travelling Shrimpers created a good atmosphere on Sunday 22nd August 1993 which was the first ever League game played at The New Den.

The attendance was 10,273 and Southend won the game 1-4 with Lee, Otto, Mooney, and Ansah scoring for us, and Kerr scoring for Millwall.

:LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter::LoyalSupporter:
I was there,remember it well:LoyalSupporter:

It will be Harris, I've no doubt about that. Harris has always said he would love to manager Southend and a bigger Southend fan you won't find

Adam Barrett was the bigger out of the two, he watched from being a young lad, and would watch us even when with other clubs. I think it showed how much he loved the club in his performances as well. The trouble is they both left with a sour taste. Adam fell out with Phil Brown over Adam not being picked when the team and centre backs were having a nightmare, and who had him training with the yoofs, I am told.

Surely a basic reading of the many threads advocating a move for Barrett would show you that it has almost nothing to do with nostalgia. You’re pretty certain about it and the way it will pan out though.

By definition at this point in time it is everything about nostalgia and blind hope - he has no track record as a manager and his apparent love of the club leaves him no more qualified to be a success as any other recently qualified coach - in fact one might argue the track record of ex-players managing their old clubs is so poor it might be concluded it is actually a handicap.

Well well well, someone’s throwing their toys out of the pram. You seem pretty certain about what’s going to happen if/when AB gets appointed. Please do tell us more.

Not at all. Just dont think there is one piece of evidence that suggests to me that AB is the answer at the moment. It's people talking with their heart rather than their head. Have explained why on a separate post.

I feel Neil Harries wants to the Southend United FC Manager

Remember he is one of OUR own IMHO

This is HIS once in a life time

If we delay the appointment until next week and Barrett looks after Millwall on Saturday, then he can say he's got management experience...

Bonkers. Theres a movie in all this saga somewhere...

Or at the least a 3 part netflix special

Id go with dustin hoffman to play ron and jason statham to play barrett

Bonkers. Theres a movie in all this saga somewhere...

Or at the least a 3 part netflix special

Id go with dustin hoffman to play ron and jason statham to play barrett
If Ron gets it wrong again Titanic springs to mind.

There could possibly be some creativity being used to utilise Larsson, with his contacts across Europe he could probably earn the majority of his cash by sourcing players. Cuts out agents fees and would probably save us wages.

I'm told that has been tried in recent years. The result is you can only sign players no one else wants. Like Mantom, Hyam and Dieng for example.
I feel Neil Harries wants to the Southend United FC Manager

Remember he is one of OUR own IMHO

This is HIS once in a life time

It will be our 4th manager (5th if you include Mayer and Duncan) in 6 months.

Harris still has Championship stock. Unless he is thinking of semi-retirement.....Why would he come here?

If we delay the appointment until next week and Barrett looks after Millwall on Saturday, then he can say he's got management experience...

What happens if Millwall lose 6-0 then???

Don’t always get it right , even the greatest manager ever signed Djemba Djemba !

Never said managers always do, but I was responding to a post that suggested ST has a decent eye for signings, so I was just pointing out that wasn't always the case!!

@rigsby You're a man in the know, any thoughts on whether Harris would work for Ron ? Hasn't there been some bad blood in the past ?

@rigsby You're a man in the know, any thoughts on whether Harris would work for Ron ? Hasn't there been some bad blood in the past ?

I don't know anything about bad blood between Harris and Ron.....Nor would I ask.

My thoughts would be never mind Ron......Why would Harris leave a financially struggling club who's fans moan about everything as they have no grasp of football reality. To come to........I think you get the point.

I don't know anything about bad blood between Harris and Ron.....Nor would I ask.

My thoughts would be never mind Ron......Why would Harris leave a financially struggling club who's fans moan about everything as they have no grasp of football reality. To come to........I think you get the point.
Yeah but some people aren't comfortable moving away, family etc. Depends on his level of ambition I suppose. I would think Harris could get a better paid job but that's not the be all and end all for some people.

Back