• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Barrow AFC v Southend United, Saturday 1st May, 15.00

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 61 69.3%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 62 70.5%
  • John White

Votes: 48 54.5%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 45 51.1%
  • James Olayinka

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 41 46.6%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 54 61.4%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Erin Kinali

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 6 6.8%

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Win

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 22 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 14.09.03.png

For most of this season, if you had told me that we wouldn't have been relegated by the beginning of May I'd have said you were mad.

Let's face it, we've been so far adrift that to still be in with an (albeit a wildly optimistic) outside chance of escaping the drop to the National League after the end of April with only two games left to play seems remarkable.

However, it is only an outside chance and if we don't win on Saturday we're definitely down, such is the margin in goal difference between us and Saturday's opponent's (who technically on paper we can still overtake), unless Scunthorpe lose on Saturday then our last game of the season against Newport will be a dead rubber as well as being our last game in the Football League.... at least for now anyway.

So, all we need is a nine goal swing in the last two games between us and Scunthorpe - if they lose both their last two games by a single goal then we need to keep clean sheets and score 7 goals. Given we've scored 7 goals in the last SIXTEEN games, that might be something of a tall order!

So what team will Phil Brown, who says we can still stay up, put out to vanquish Barrow on Saturday and it least (possibly) prolong the agony until the last game of the season?

I really hope PB in his news conference says Rush is my Freddie Eastwood a bit like Bowie said Mick Ronson was his Jeff Beck. We then thrash Barrow and Newport. Job done.

We can do this, we can do this, we can do this!! We can, but we won't. Not because we won't beat Barrow, which we will, but because Bradford are hopeless and the Iron won't lose to them.

thin we will win this one 10- 0 ,then defeat newport and fgr 8-0 each and escape relegation, And pigs do fly you ask Pink Floyd.

I'd say play all our strikers in a bid to score as many as possible to gain the goal difference but in all honesty even with them all on the pitch we still wouldn't be able to score...

We must win this game by as many goals as we can in order to keep any hope of staying up alive. Therefore I think Phil is going to need to be positive with both the starting XI and substitutions.

I'm not sure Dieng will be fit enough to start, and Ferguson went off last Saturday with a knock too.

Quite what Hackett-Fairchild has done to warrant start after start, I don't know and why Akinola is not getting even on the bench seems a bit strange too.

Anyway, for what it's worth I'd go:

Oxley

Bwomono White Hobson Hart

Cordner

Egbri Taylor Akinola

Acquah Holmes

Subs: Seaden, Clifford, Halford, Hackett-Fairchild, Olayinka, Walsh, Rush

I know I'll get slated for suggesting Acquah up front, but I just think he's more mobile than Halford and frankly we don't have many options.

Yes, I know Rush scored last week when he came on as a sub, but I think that might be his best use at the moment - a 70th minute impact sub for the tiring Holmes. Same goes for Louis Walsh, and to an extent Olayinka.

We must win this game by as many goals as we can in order to keep any hope of staying up alive. Therefore I think Phil is going to need to be positive with both the starting XI and substitutions.

I'm not sure Dieng will be fit enough to start, and Ferguson went off last Saturday with a knock too.

Quite what Hackett-Fairchild has done to warrant start after start, I don't know and why Akinola is not getting even on the bench seems a bit strange too.

Anyway, for what it's worth I'd go:

Oxley

Bwomono White Hobson Hart

Cordner

Egbri Taylor Akinola

Acquah Holmes

Subs: Seaden, Clifford, Halford, Hackett-Fairchild, Olayinka, Walsh, Rush

I know I'll get slated for suggesting Acquah up front, but I just think he's more mobile than Halford and frankly we don't have many options.

Yes, I know Rush scored last week when he came on as a sub, but I think that might be his best use at the moment - a 70th minute impact sub for the tiring Holmes. Same goes for Louis Walsh, and to an extent Olayinka.

Id go the other way tbh, seen that line up draw too often, its more or less a dead rubber so nowt to lose.

Oxley
Elvis, hobson, codner, hart

Egbri, Taylor, Olayinka, Walsh

Rush, holmes

I like Cordner and think he can add some steel to the midfield ( a bit like Kiernan did at times ).
Not sure why Akinola is not in favour - I assume fall out with PB ?
Same for ANG ?? ( anyone know ? )
The use ( or lack of ) of Olayinka is an odd one - if he's unfit then I understand , but why have him on the bench then if you're going to bring on anyone but a guy who has been one of our most creative players ?

Anyway , assuming Dieng ,Macca and Demi are either injured or suspended , my team would be

Oxley

Bwomono White Hobson Clifford

Egbri , Cordner , Taylor , Olayinka ,

Akinola , Rush

Subs: Seaden, Hart, Halford, Hackett-Fairchild, Holmes, Walsh, Acquah

Back