• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/311213-barry-corr-portsmouth-1266398.aspx

My New Years message to Barry Corr is get around the six yard box more. That's where most of his goals have come from. He is taking one for the team at the moment by helping out in midfield and defence. That's great and noble, but we have never had so many great runners in the midfield, so let them get on with that, and you can concentrate on your job Barry, and the goals will follow.

I think playing the lone striker makes it difficult for him. He spends most of his time with his back to goal. I'd much prefer to see us play a more traditional 442

4-5-1 works well for us away from home, I would personally prefer to see a 4-4-2 at home which would help Corr with his opportunities in and around the box.

4-5-1 works well for us away from home, I would personally prefer to see a 4-4-2 at home which would help Corr with his opportunities in and around the box.

I think you are probably right. 451 lends to counter attacking which is best for away games.

I echo this, which was also the case under Sturrock. I guess Browns idea is that away we play a more defensive 4 5 1, which is easy to convert to an attacking 4 3 3 at home. But it doesn't always produce results at home.

My guess is that managers find it difficult to get a team playing two different formations changing week in week out.

If we was to change to 4 4 2 at home, it would manage Eastwoods situation better, letting him play as the second striker at home, then bringing in another midfielder when we go away (leaving Freddy on the bench to rest/come on as impact sub).

I echo this, which was also the case under Sturrock. I guess Browns idea is that away we play a more defensive 4 5 1, which is easy to convert to an attacking 4 3 3 at home. But it doesn't always produce results at home.

My guess is that managers find it difficult to get a team playing two different formations changing week in week out.

If we was to change to 4 4 2 at home, it would manage Eastwoods situation better, letting him play as the second striker at home, then bringing in another midfielder when we go away (leaving Freddy on the bench to rest/come on as impact sub).

I’ve always been a supporter of playing 4-4-2, everyone who plays football knows how to play in a 4-4-2. I have always been sceptical of trying these other formations in the lower leagues due to the limitations of the players. This team has changed my opinion on that somewhat though, I think our most complete performance was the home game against Fleetwood this season (from the games I have seen anyway), we were in control, kept good possession and switched effortlessly between 4-5-1 and 4-3-3. We have great energy in this side and that is why the formation works for us, I’d be reluctant to abandon it at home just yet.

I’ve always been a supporter of playing 4-4-2, everyone who plays football knows how to play in a 4-4-2. I have always been sceptical of trying these other formations in the lower leagues due to the limitations of the players. This team has changed my opinion on that somewhat though, I think our most complete performance was the home game against Fleetwood this season (from the games I have seen anyway), we were in control, kept good possession and switched effortlessly between 4-5-1 and 4-3-3. We have great energy in this side and that is why the formation works for us, I’d be reluctant to abandon it at home just yet.

Yes I see what you are saying and I agree league 2 players generally should stick to 4 4 2. Sturrock managed to mould a team to play the way we do, and to be honest it is a pretty good set up for this league.
The difference between Sturrocks team and Browns team is mostly the style. More short play than direct (although the last few games I have seen we have resulted to being more direct probably due to conditions). So maybe we should stick with it for now.

Anyway back on topic with Corr, he definitely needs to be getting in the box more and let the midfielders do more of the work!

We're like England - we haven't got 2 in the middle of the park who are strong enough to hold it all together so 4-4-2 doesn't work. We'll get overrun.
4-1-3-2 would be better. How's about Leonard or Laird sitting, and Hurst, Atkinson, Timlin cracking on. We've got the players in this area - it's just a question of how best to use them.

My message to Barry is " Have a great New Years day with a brace of goals, and enjoy your games; thanks for all the good work!":clap:

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/311213-barry-corr-portsmouth-1266398.aspx

My New Years message to Barry Corr is get around the six yard box more. That's where most of his goals have come from. He is taking one for the team at the moment by helping out in midfield and defence. That's great and noble, but we have never had so many great runners in the midfield, so let them get on with that, and you can concentrate on your job Barry, and the goals will follow.

There's little point in him standing around the six yard box when the ball is being passed sideways on the halfway line.

That message needs to be directed to his team-mates in midfield, along with the message to get the ball in the 6 yard box more.

Corr's done a brilliant job this season in just remembering who his team-mates are, so infrequently do they visit his postcode. He's won pretty much every winnable ball in the penalty box from open play when he's been on the pitch this season. The tragedy is that we don't exploit this by putting more players and more balls into the box.

Back