• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bart for Darryl

After a seasons worth of Darryl vs Bart debates I fully expect to start another one off but this board is here to give your opinion and that is what I am going to do.
I would honestly play Bart Griemink for this game. Don't get me wrong Darryl is on form and has been fantastic all year however I think that tactically it would be far better to play Bart. Every time I see Lincoln they pepper the goal with various crosses and I feel that Bart will deal with Lincoln's main attacking threat much better.
Peoples thoughts?

P.S. If it was to go to penos I would bring Darryl on.

I can see where you are coming from, Chelsea did a similair thing leaving Cech in goal in the League Cup at Manchester United instead of using Cudicini, who had played in the previous rounds.

Thing is though, arguably Darryl has taken us to the final over the course of the two semi final legs and how demorialising would it be to drop him for the best game of the season with a goalkeeper who has been missing for a very long time and has only played one reserve team match since his return.

If I were Tilly I'd stick with the same side that won on saturday. If it aint broke don't fix it and all that rubbish.

Dropping Darryl would be the worst managerial decision possible. Dropping an in form keeper for someone who hasn't played a first class game for months, and a keeper who also looks a bit prone to mistakes at that. What sort of message would that send to Darryl and the rest of the team. i understand why you would consider it with Lincolns style of play. But its ridiculous to contemplate it.
Maybe drop Barrett too cause Edwards is taller? No? thought not. Darryl fully deserves his chance to play at the Milstad again as does every other shrimper who started Saturday. Tilly has an easy choice as far as picking his team is concerned, I feel maybe though Gray will play as his pace could exploit the wide spaces in Cardiff on the bigger pitch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ May 23 2005,22:24)]Chelsea did a similair thing leaving Cech in goal in the League Cup at Manchester United instead of using Cudicini, who had played in the previous rounds.
Wasn't Cudicini suspended after being sent off against Newcastle?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ May 23 2005,22:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ May 23 2005,22:24)]Chelsea did a similair thing leaving Cech in goal in the League Cup at Manchester United instead of using Cudicini, who had played in the previous rounds.
Correct I thought that! Didn't wanna say just in case that wasn't the case.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ May 23 2005,22:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ May 23 2005,22:33)]
[b said:
Correct I thought that! Didn't wanna say just in case that wasn't the case.....
No I don't think he was, he was suspended for the League Cup Final because of the sending off in the FA Cup Vs Newcastle. The League Cup semi final was played before the FA Cup match.

Mourinho came out and said after the game that he'd play in the final despite not playing in the semi final.

what a doggy lino u are!
tounge.gif

I hinted at this on Saturday night, but I think it was lost in all the euporhia of getting through to the final.

A taller GK would be ideal against the Lincoln Towers but in the cold light of day, as Thenewblue says, it wouldn't be the correct decision. Flavs is getting towards the top of his game & is looking very sharp as the semis proved. We know he has his weaknesses but then again, what GK at our level of football or indeed 2 divisions higher doesn't?

I'd also like to think Freddy & whoever else can run rings around their tall defenders a la the Macc goal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ May 23 2005,22:15)]After a seasons worth of Darryl vs Bart debates I fully expect to start another one off but this board is here to give your opinion and that is what I am going to do.
I would honestly play Bart Griemink for this game. Don't get me wrong Darryl is on form and has been fantastic all year however I think that tactically it would be far better to play Bart. Every time I see Lincoln they pepper the goal with various crosses and I feel that Bart will deal with Lincoln's main attacking threat much better.
Peoples thoughts?

Would definitely play Griemink as I would always play our strongest team.

Flahavan has always been a liability waiting to happen at corners and crosses and no amount of spectacular saves will mask that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 23 2005,23:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ May 23 2005,22:15)]After a seasons worth of Darryl vs Bart debates I fully expect to start another one off but this board is here to give your opinion and that is what I am going to do.
Peoples thoughts?

Flahavan has always been a liability waiting to happen at corners and crosses and no amount of spectacular saves will mask that.
Griemink hasn't done anything to suggest he's our 'strongest' team. If anything Darryl is number 1 for the foreseeable future and just cause Bart comes for crosses doesn't make him better than Darryl. Where you at the Macclesfield home game?
Christ! Hate it when people just judge Darryl on one asset. Their both reliable number 1's but Darryl is number 1 atm.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I know you said it wasn't a joke but the title made me laugh when I saw it. I had nightmares this one would resurface. Never thought it would happen when Darryl's been playing WELL though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ May 23 2005,23:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 23 2005,23:42)]
[b said:
Peoples thoughts?

Griemink hasn't done anything to suggest he's our 'strongest' team. If anything Darryl is number 1 for the foreseeable future and just cause Bart comes for crosses doesn't make him better than Darryl. Where you at the Macclesfield home game?
Christ! Hate it when people just judge Darryl on one asset. Their both reliable number 1's but Darryl is number 1 atm.
Actually, they're not both number ones, Darryl is no 13!

I have to admit the idea of playing Bart did cross my mind for the same reason. And before anyone has a go, I am, and always have been, a big fan of Daryll. However, I dismissed the idea. For me it comes down to two things. Firstly, Daryll is playing very well at the moment, and secondly, Bart may be taller but simply hasn't played enough games to be anywhere near match sharp at the moment.

Also, I would rather have a 'keeper that comes for the odd cross when he is sure he can get it, like Daryll, than one that comes for everything and drops the ball even once or twice. At least that way the defence know what to expect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ May 24 2005,09:49)]I have to admit the idea of playing Bart did cross my mind for the same reason. And before anyone has a go, I am, and always have been, a big fan of Daryll. However, I dismissed the idea. For me it comes down to two things. Firstly, Daryll is playing very well at the moment, and secondly, Bart may be taller but simply hasn't played enough games to be anywhere near match sharp at the moment.
Could'nt agree more.

You have to trust that Tilly and Brush know, just as we do, exactly what we're in for on Saturday and are working hard with the players to, not only counter it, but be effective against it.

I'm sure Flahavan is working on crosses as we speak.

SBH

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ May 24 2005,10:31)]You have to trust that Tilly and Brush know, just as we do, exactly what we're in for on Saturday and are working hard with the players to, not only counter it, but be effective against it.

I'm sure Flahavan is working on crosses as we speak.

SBH
yep they sure do !!! i've just got back from the training ground and Spinner and Legend are running around with lightweight stepladders as well as trying rugby style line-out lifts to deal with Lincoln Towers.

they won't be any crosses coming over, coz they won't be getting past the full backs! besides Adamski and spinner should be taking care of these more than darryl. one thing we will need is seamless communication between flavs and the back 4 to deal with any crosses against the globetrotters

[b said:
Quote[/b] (doucebag @ May 24 2005,12:18)]one thing we will need is seamless communication between flavs and the back 4 to deal with any crosses against the globetrotters
Brunton Park for our first game of the season then?

Back