• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
December is a busy time of year over here in England. There's Christmas shopping to be done, Christmas decorations to be arranged, Christmas trees to be purchased. In short, there's a whole lot of Christmas going on. Most of us spend these early weeks of the month constructing an enormous 'to-do' list and then trying to clear every possible task from it before 'the season to be merry' arrives in earnest. With England now out of the European Championships, FA supremo, Brian Barwick's 'to-do' list can't be very long at all. In fact, I'd wager that above 'cancel Christmas cards to Croatia' and below 'ask Terry Venables about those expense claims' is just one entry. 'Find England manager.'

Now, you would think that this would be a fairly simple task, wouldn't you? At the moment it seems to be a three way race between a former Newcastle striker who has never managed a football team in his life, an Italian who has, but who can't speak a word of English and a confident young Portuguese who can speak six languages and has an unbroken track record of glorious success. Seriously, how long does it take to sort this out?

It would be nice to head into the New Year with all this sorted out, but Barwick seems to have other ideas. He's hit upon the plan of surveying some of the key figures in football to find out what they think. I'd love to think that this just means a few phonecalls to former football managers and then an answer at the end of the week, but with the FA's reputation for procrastination, I very much doubt it. If you want to find out what football personalities think, pick up a newspaper, it's all in there. Don't waste everybody's time by spending two months on leisurely lunches and 'consultation'.

Why does he need to ask for help anyway? He was appointed to lead the Football Association, not to organise focus groups and arrange lengthy periods of consultation. Barwick is in a privileged position and it's about time he paid his way by making the decisions that he was employed to make.

Picking the new England boss should be really, really simple. Just pick a football manager who has proved that he is good at managing footballers. Last time round it should have been Guus Hiddink, last seen leading Russia to Euro 2008 in our place, or Martin O'Neill, currently turning Aston Villa from relegation fodder to European challengers. It should not have been Steve McClaren who had spent the previous season having torn-up Middlesbrough season tickets hurled at him from close range.

This time round there is only one candidate ticking all the boxes. Jose Mourinho can speak English, he knows the English and he knows the English players. He's a proven winner and he has the mentality to succeed. He's even been dropping hints in the English press that he wants the job. Short of waving his hands in the air and screaming, "Pick me! Pick me!" there's not a lot else he can do.

Barwick has insisted that there is no deadline for his decision and that the important thing to do is to ensure that England have, "a world class manager," but that just highlights how little he understands the modern game. If England don't grab Mourinho now, someone else will. Barwick will be sat there munching vol-au-vonts with Graham Taylor while Juan Laporta or Silvio Berlusconi will be handing a contract and a biro to Mourinho instead.

Barwick can start making amends for his mistakes right now and ensure a Merry Christmas for every English football fan. All he has to do is pick up the phone.

Well put once again Slipper, Barwick will be slaughtered if Jose goes somewhere else. Surely he must realise this.

Couldn't agree more, great post.

Perhaps the problem has been Barwick all along. A few people at the FA, Barwick included, should have fallen on their swords in the wake of the recent qualification **** up. They seem to have gotten away with it? After all, that was a horrfic decision to appoint McLaren.

We could always wait until after the Euro's and then go for Hiddink

The BBC is reporting that Mourinho is in talks with the FA.

I may not like him, but please sign sir!!!!

R1 news were saying although this is true, they've heard that Mourinho is believed to have said he favours a move to one of the bigger Spanish clubs, so it looks possibly that he's just using the FA to force Laporta's hand to work his way into Barca!

SSN were running stories this morning claiming the FA had denied talking to anyone. They said they didn't want a farce like the last manager search but it seems they won't get their wish this time around... :p

And the Sun says Brooking has clashed with Barwick as Sir trev wants an englishman, namely Alan Curbishley.

Fantastic post, and totally spot on, it really should not be as hard as he is making out, just get him signed on the dotted line!!

SSN were running stories this morning claiming the FA had denied talking to anyone. They said they didn't want a farce like the last manager search but it seems they won't get their wish this time around... :p

The FA and farce surely not? :rolleyes:

Agreed. A clot of the first order.;)

Was it your public school background that forced you to self-censor clot? You could, of course, have used, scoundrel or blackguard.

Scoundrel is far too generous a description of Barwick. He is, at best, a buffoon. But I prefer the percussiveness of "c**t".

:finger:

Last edited:
Scoundrel is far too generous a description of Barwick. He is, at best, a buffoon. But I prefer the percussiveness of "c**t".

:finger:

Tut Tut using that word in an open forum........You should be ashamed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The umlauts totally change the pronounciation though! It will now be pronounced the way that John Motson would say cu*t

That reminds me of the single funniest clip ever played by Newman & Baddiel - Motty commentating on an England v. Germany game:

"Germany on the ball........... Kuntz..."

Brilliant.

:hilarious:

That reminds me of the single funniest clip ever played by Newman & Baddiel - Motty commentating on an England v. Germany game:

"Germany on the ball........... Kuntz..."

Brilliant.

:hilarious:

I think it was just after he had equalised, and Motson was saying his usual "you should never write off the Germans............Kuntz"

Back