• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Batman

I'm off to see it again on Tuesday. I've raved about the potential of this flick ever since I saw the first trailer, and whilst in some ways I don't want to hype it up any more for fear of people not having their expectations met, personally it blew mine out of the water. Nolan and his brother have nailed a look and script all of their own.

Sure it had some flaws and maybe there was a bit too much going on in one film, but as a film based on a graphic novel it ruled. Hell, even as just a standalone summer blockbuster, it reminded me of the heady heights of the 70's / 80's (French Connection, Alien, Scarface, etc). Word of mouth has been great too, so I can see it ending up being the 3rd or 4th highest grossing flick ever...

I had problems with it. Perhaps I expected too much after all the praise, but it just went on too long. The whole "going to Hong Kong" storyline was just pointless and was the whole Lui character seemed superfluous. Can't fault Ledger's take on The Joker however, but I still think Batman Begins was better.

6/10

I had problems with it. Perhaps I expected too much after all the praise, but it just went on too long. The whole "going to Hong Kong" storyline was just pointless and was the whole Lui character seemed superfluous. Can't fault Ledger's take on The Joker however, but I still think Batman Begins was better.

6/10

Yeah I didn't see the worth of the Hong Kong part. But it took me many repeat watches to fully start loving Begins too, and I liked this one more on first watch.

oh man i agree, good flicks, but for the whole big screen experience, batman is frankly the tits

Sorry Matty mate, but I didn't grab me at all and I'm a lover of Batman: Year One, Arkham Asylum and The Dark Knight Returns, ie non Adam West Batman!

Last edited:
Not overly impressed by this one.
1) The 'comic strip' elements were missing completley, and the 'dark knight' was a little 'tto dark'

2) Why such strong violent scenes for a 12a? After all, these films are supposed to appeal to kids too? As for the knive scenes.....a little too much, me thinks. Especially when the joker talks about how stabbing someone is much more fun than shooting someone!

3) Too long

4) It felt a little like a Bond film, too many fancy gadgets.

But hey, that's just my opinion!!!

Batman Begins, remains the one for me!

Not overly impressed by this one.
1) The 'comic strip' elements were missing completley, and the 'dark knight' was a little 'to dark'

Again I direct the honourable gentleman to Frank Miller Batman: Year One and the fact that Bob Kane always wrote Batman as a troubled hero.

The hideous incarnation of Adam West's 60's Batman and the two films after Burton finished his take on it should be eradicated from history.

I still think the animated "Mask of the Phantasm" is the best ever Batman film made...

I much prefer the original story behind how the Joker came to be.
How he struggled as a 'stand up comedian', then took part in the bank heist and missed the tragedy of his wife's death whilst giving birth to their baby, the mix up with Batman trying to save him from falling into the toxic waist ect.

Much better than 'My father said I never smiled enough so he cut me'!

I much prefer the original story behind how the Joker came to be.
How he struggled as a 'stand up comedian', then took part in the bank heist and missed the tragedy of his wife's death whilst giving birth to their baby, the mix up with Batman trying to save him from falling into the toxic waist ect.

Spot on, I thought that was a great interpretation. The Joker made Batman, Batman made the Joker - absolute genius.

I liked that about the Ledger Joker. The fact they gave at least 3 different stories of why he got those scars, and answered none of them. All of them increasingly creepy and harsh.

I think showing a characters 'origin' flashback halfway through a story often takes you out of the experience. And they'd said he was already on the scene in Begins too, so for continuity's sake it was the right thing to do I felt...

Spot on, I thought that was a great interpretation. The Joker made Batman, Batman made the Joker - absolute genius.

Ledger's "You complete me" line for me said more about The Joker than anything in the Burton movies. The Joker isn't interested in money, or status, or women. Just fighting and ****ing with Batman...

Maybe I need to watch 'Batman Begins' again on dvd, then take another trip to the cinema to fully appreciate this movie.

Back