• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Hopefully most of you are familiar with the format, but equally I hope that some of our more recent members join in the fun.

Idea is you nominate your favourite player who played for the club before 1980. If someone has already taken your favourite, you go for your second favourite and so on. One nomination per person, each player can only be nominated once and no player who played for SUFC during the 1980-81 season or after is eligible (my decision is final, once the draw is made, there will be no-one disqualified on a technicality, so if you want to protest about someone get in early).

Then each day (or whenever I get around to it), I put a poll up between two players. You all wax lyrically about how good each of the players were (maybe throw in a few modern comparisons for those too young to have seen them), come up with a few anecdotes about them and enjoy a good nostalgia trip whilst educating the youngsters like myself about Southend's history and whoever gets the most votes goes into the next round.

In the case of a tie, I get the casting ballot, which I'll base on who put the most persuasive case forward.

Why 1980? Two reasons. First, these types of votes normally get dominated by the more recent players. Secondly, 1980-81 was our first piece of major silverware (Col Ewe fans, this is what you get when you win something worthwhile eg 2005-06 League One title).

So nominations please.

Please copy and paste this list and add on your nomination in the following format

1. Billy Best (canveyshrimper)
2. Sammy McCrory (Uncle Leo)
3. Jimmy Evans (Napster)
4. Bill Garner (Gt Yarmouth Shrimper)

Please copy and paste this list and add on your nomination in the following format

3. Jimmy Evans (Napster)
5 Peter Taylor (Firestorm)

3. Jimmy Evans (Napster)
5 Peter Taylor (Firestorm)
6. Derek Woodley (shallowshrimper)
7.Dave Cusack (MTS)