• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the 80s Films - Stand by Me v Ghost Busters

Stand by Me or Ghostbusters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
Second tie. A masterpiece in the coming-of-age film, against a comedy classic which really delivered on music, quotes, and cool characters.

GB for me, such a big part of my childhood esp with spin off TV cartoon series.
LOVE SbM but GB is more 80's classic for me.

First of all, I have to say that I love Stand By Me. Cracking film. However, I don't love it as much as Ghost Busters.

In Peter Venkman (played by Bill Murray) you have one of the coolest characters ever. The theme tune, despite it now being used by a well known directory enquiries company, is still an 80s classic. Sigourney Weaver was hot hot hot in it and William Atherton brilliantly played his usual role of being a total arsehead. And what 80's kid didn't want the toy replica of their Ghostbusting vehicle?

images

Anyway, here's a quick clip to get us going

[video=youtube;cyRqR56aCKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRqR56aCKc[/video]

I remember going to see GB on its opening show at Southend. Getting to the pictures at 10am for a 2pm viewing, the fight when the doors opened as everybody was trying to get in. Then managed to see it another 2 times the same days.

Ghostbusters Ghostbusters Ghostbusters Ghostbusters Ghostbusters Ghostbusters
(stand by me was good too)

Tough one this as both excellent films, but for me Stand by me is the coming of age films to beat them all and this final line at the end of film says it all :

I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

Stand by Me is a 1986 movie based on the novella The Body by Stephen King. The title comes from a Ben E. King song of the same name. The song plays during the closing credits of the movie. Directed by Rob Reiner and starring Wil Whaton, River Phoenix, Kiefer Sutherland and John Cussack.

Basic plot

Set in 1959, the story is a coming of age for the main characters. The four main characters are Gordie Lachance (the narrator), Chris Chambers, Teddy Duchamp and Vern Tessio. They are all twelve years old. Each of the boys has their own affliction, mental or physical. Gordie is the most complex of the main characters. He is quiet boy with a penchant for telling stories. He struggles for acceptance from his father, after his older brother, Denny, was killed in a road accident.

The boys over-hear older youths talking of a boy (Ray Brower) having been struck by a train and killed. The boys set off on an adventure to locate the body of the dead boy. The film concentrates on the journey the boys take, with the encounters they face, and the interaction between the characters.

Success

Stand By Me premiered in 1986 to rave reviews. The film enjoyed great word-of-mouth support. Since its release, Stand By Me has become a major cult classic. It consistently scores highly on movie review and ratings, especially internet votes.

Interesting Questions, Facts, and Information Stand By Me .

What did Vern say that if he had to live off one food for the rest of his life what would it be?

Cherry Pez.

What happened to Teddy's ear?

His dad burnt it.

Where is the place that the boys are walking to?

Back Harlow Road.

Why are the boys going to this place?

To find a missing kid.

What happened to Gordie's brother?

He died.

Who is Chris' brother?

Eyeball.

Where do three of the four boys tell their parents they will be when they go on their trip?

Camping at Vern's house.

At the end of the movie, how does it say Chris dies?

Trying to break up a fight in a diner and got stabbed.

What are the boys doing in the tree house?

Playing cards.

What was the last name of the kid in Gordie's story that he told around the campfire?

Hogan. Vern: 'Like Charlie Hogan's brother, if he had one!'

Stand By Me is a fine, fine film. Trouble is Ghostbusters pretty much defines the decade. And isn't SBM set in the 1950's anyhow :unsure:

Back