• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Bobbys

Which Bobby is the National Treasure?

• Total voters

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
SBH's thread which listed Bobby Moore as a legend but not Bobby Charlton got me thinking.

My understanding was that in the 1960s or 1970s if you said you were English to a foreigner, the foreigner would reply "aah, Bobby Charlton!"

How come Moore has replaced him as the iconic English footballer?

It can't be his role in Escape to Victory as it didn't do much for Kevin O'Callaghan's career.

Whilst Moore might have, like a bracelet in a Bogota jewellers, lifted the World Cup, Charlton was still, I understand, revered the world over in the 1970s. Is Moore's fame national, whilst Charlton's international?

Is it because Charlton was forever linked with the evil empire of Man U, whilst Moore played for a tin-pot club before seeing his career out with Fulham, and was therefore seen as an international and not a club footballer?

Is it because Moore is no longer of this world, whilst Charlton is now an old man? Is it because Bobby Moore didn't have a mad brother?

When did Bobby Moore overtake Bobby Charlton in people's affections to become the primary footballing national treasure?

I never liked Bobby Moore* or that fat pikey who throws arrows....Bobby Charlton is a fantastic ambassador for football the world over and was a great player.

*Did you know Wet Spam won the World Cup BTW.

England won the World Cup in 1966 with three world class players.

Banks, Bobby Charlton & Moore.

In this instance I'll forgive Moore his scum ham affiliations. Moore quite simply is the best defender I have ever seen. Considering he was one footed, slow and couldn't head a ball, the way he read a game was second to none, and he could time his tackles to perfection. "That tackle by Moore" in the 1970 World Cup.

Back