• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Chancellors

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Did anyone watch this last night?

There is something instantly dislikable about George Osborne who did himself and the Conservatives no favours by being so rude/dismissive to Vince Cable.

I wasn't able to watch it last night, but I read in the papers yesterday morning that there would be online voting throughout and a 'winner' would be declared. Anyone know who?

Cable scored 36%, Darling and Osborne 32% each.

Cable seemed to have the support of the audience, but as Osborne pointed out at the end, his party is not going to win the election....

Cable scored 36%, Darling and Osborne 32% each.

Cable seemed to have the support of the audience, but as Osborne pointed out at the end, his party is not going to win the election....

Cable does however have visions of being Chancellor in a hung Parliament. I'd say he has two chances of that and no has left town.

Having never taken much interest in George Osborne I never knew he was also an ex-Bullingdon club member. Is this the UK version of Skull and Bones?

Last edited:
You say that but he is the one those newspaper (like we can trust them ) that people vote Vince Cable and say wistfully if only he wasn't with the Lib Dem's

That's because the Lib Dems won't win a majority. It's possible that they may hold sway in a hung Parliament, but no Government or PM will give up one of the 3 great offices of state to a member of another party.

And before anyone says it war time coalition governments are an entirely different thing.

That's because the Lib Dems won't win a majority. It's possible that they may hold sway in a hung Parliament, but no Government or PM will give up one of the 3 great offices of state to a member of another party.

And before anyone says it war time coalition governments are an entirely different thing.

We are at war.

It is a matter for regret that Cable - the only proper economist out of the three of them (he was formerly Chief Economist at Shell and has a PhD in Economics from Glasgow) - is unlikely ever to be chancellor. He looked the best out of the three of them last night because he's the only one who actually knows what he's talking about.

What single credential does either George Osborne (son of a baronet, and career politician) or Alistair Darling (former Trotskyist, solicitor and privately educated (ha!) career politician) have to be running our country's economy?

Frankly, I'd have been disappointed if Cable hadn't shown himself to be more knowledgeable about economics than the man standing either side of him.

Osborne came out of it OK. He had most to lose, but he held his ground, and managed to make Darling look an idiot( not tricky I know), over the Death tax.

I was quite suprised Cameron let Osbourne out to play, thought he might turn up in his stead.

It is a matter for regret that Cable - the only proper economist out of the three of them (he was formerly Chief Economist at Shell and has a PhD in Economics from Glasgow) - is unlikely ever to be chancellor. He looked the best out of the three of them last night because he's the only one who actually knows what he's talking about.

What single credential does either George Osborne (son of a baronet, and career politician) or Alistair Darling (former Trotskyist, solicitor and privately educated (ha!) career politician) have to be running our country's economy?

Frankly, I'd have been disappointed if Cable hadn't shown himself to be more knowledgeable about economics than the man standing either side of him.

But doesn't it grate the more when you see good politicians of all hues , that we still have to vote for the parties and figurehead leaders :(

Back