• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the lyricists

I've never heard of Trap, hence it's not a movement. It needs to break into the mainstream like punk, disco or hip hop.

I've never heard of Trap, hence it's not a movement. It needs to break into the mainstream like punk, disco or hip hop.

If you are talking Youth Movement , that's different, Britpop wasn't either.

I am probably wrong, but the last real youth movements , I think wereGoth and the Skater Boys grunge thing, and that was 18 years ago. There seems little disparity in the "styles" these days , certainly in the youth. There are still traces in other age groups

If you are talking Youth Movement , that's different, Britpop wasn't either.

I am probably wrong, but the last real youth movements , I think wereGoth and the Skater Boys grunge thing, and that was 18 years ago. There seems little disparity in the "styles" these days , certainly in the youth. There are still traces in other age groups

I'd say when popular music crosses into the mainstream and those at the forefront are public names it becomes a movement. Johnny Rotten/Kurt Cobain/Liam & Noel Gallagher. There has been noone since the brothers from Burnage that has created such headlines.

I'd say when popular music crosses into the mainstream and those at the forefront are public names it becomes a movement. Johnny Rotten/Kurt Cobain/Liam & Noel Gallagher. There has been noone since the brothers from Burnage that has created such headlines.

Fair enough, although I feel that a movement is more than just the music and the headlines around it, it is also a style, a look, a way of life , albeit temporarily
, for those involved
It covers a spread of bands , spawning new bands with a similar sound , and then as the mainstream pick up on the movement , the marketeers latch on, the age profile drops , copy cat crap bands come along , its gets tacky , gimmicky and then the early adopters grow up/ get fed up with the kids and it all collapses . See Mod x2 , punk, Skins x 2 ,Soulboys Casuals, etc etc

Does anyone over 40 seriously like rap or hip-hop? :Unsure:
You’re kidding me... I’ve been into Hip Hop since 1985; and I’m definitely over 40... late 80s / early 90s hip hop were the best years for me. Nothing comes close.

Check any of the artists in my post above, can’t say I can convince you that you’ll like them, but there are some classic albums out there that you’ve never heard before.

FWIW; I listen to many different music genres... Jazz to Techno, Acid House to Dub reggae, but I always gravitate back to my Hip Hop Roots. ?

I'm 48 so was exactly the right age for rap classics like 'It takes a nation of millions' in 1988.
Incredible album, but so were Yo! Bum Rush the show and Fear of a black planet.

Welcome to the terrordome is probably my fave P.E. track, that or Rebel without a pause

P.E. and the Beasties are just up there, nothing comes close

While I accept your point, it just means for me there's less music out there that I feel tempted to listen to or buy.That's a win,win situation for me.BTW check out Mickey Jupp's Modern Music on this point.:Winking:

Or SOMEPLACE WHERE ITS MONDAY

You sum up my feelings entirely and would have stood up for Michael if you had not beaten me to

Hence going for JJ Cale instead

My first pint, a little underage was in the Esplanade and no sooner had the tallest of us got the four pints back to a secluded table a certain musician piped up with a Blues riff and I was hookeed!!!

You’re kidding me... I’ve been into Hip Hop since 1985; and I’m definitely over 40... late 80s / early 90s hip hop were the best years for me. Nothing comes close.

Check any of the artists in my post above, can’t say I can convince you that you’ll like them, but there are some classic albums out there that you’ve never heard before.

FWIW; I listen to many different music genres... Jazz to Techno, Acid House to Dub reggae, but I always gravitate back to my Hip Hop Roots. ?

I think we always gravitate back to the music we heard first as teenagers.In my case that was the Beatles/Stones etc. back in the early 60's.I listen to a lot of music too.Blues,jazz,country,folk and pop mostly.Even some classical from time to time.

Last edited:
Or SOMEPLACE WHERE ITS MONDAY

You sum up my feelings entirely and would have stood up for Michael if you had not beaten me to

Hence going for JJ Cale instead

My first pint, a little underage was in the Esplanade and no sooner had the tallest of us got the four pints back to a secluded table a certain musician piped up with a Blues riff and I was hookeed!!!

I owe you an aoplogy for not voting for JJ Clale.Must have been hung over or something.Always was a huge fan.

Someplace where it's Monday is a good shout.Off Long Distance Romancer right?

Did you listen Mike Allen on Capital back then? I really miss those days.

QF draw:

The Gibb Brothers v Bob Dylan
Morrissey v Ian Dury
Kate Bush v Joe Jackson
John Lennon v Billy Bragg

Starts Monday.

Did you listen Mike Allen on Capital back then? I really miss those days.
Sure did! And Dave Pearce and Roger Johnson (RJ Scratch) on the wheels of steel.

Claim to fame is having a couple of beers and a smoke with RJ after a gig he did at the Hadleigh Suite BITD

I think we always gravitate back to the music we heard first as teenagers.In my case that was the Beatles/Stones etc. back in the early 60's.I listen to a lot of music too.Blues,jazz,country,folk and pop mostly.Even some classical from time to time.
Talking of the Beatles, my 14 yo son is a big fan and likes Bowie too. He’s spending all his pocket money on old vinyl and reissues. I’ve just dug my old Technics 1210s out of the loft. Incredibly they work perfectly despite being 30 years old and being in the loft for the last 12 years.

Last edited:
Talking of the Beatles, my 14 yo son is a big fan and likes Bowie too. He’s spending all his pocket money on old vinyl and reissues. I’ve just dug my old Technics 1210s our if the loft. Incredibly they work perfectly despite being 30 years old and being in the loft for the last 12 years

The modern equivalent of my old (blue) Dansette player,I suppose.

Sure did! And Dave Pearce and Roger Johnson (RJ Scratch) on the wheels of steel.

Claim to fame is having a couple of beers and a smoke with RJ after a gig he did at the Hadleigh Suite BITD

Good nights they were at The Hadleigh Suite :Cool:

Back