• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Sitcoms - Round One (Heat 11)

Which Sitcom ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
We begin week 2 of BotS with a whimper ...

Seinfeld (Mad Cyril) vs Phoenix Nights (JoshC)

Last edited:
Hardly a whimper Lee! Seinfeld is probably the most successful US sitcom EVER and Phoenix Nights is absolutely superb!

If the BBC hadn't farted around with Seinfeld and stuck it on at prime time rather than the early hours of the morning, it would walk this. However I don't suppose a lot of people would have seen the shenanigans of Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer et al.

I don't think i need to tell you i haven't :nope:

Is it another spell in the dungeon boss ?? :'(

Lol!

To think, the BBC made My Family and the Vicar Of Twibbley Doobley when they could of stuck this on at 8.30 on a Friday night and it would have been in the final (against Bladder, natch :D )

2 Series of Phoenix nights (as good as it is) and one very ropey spin off cannot compete against 9 series of genius.

Lol!

To think, the BBC made My Family and the Vicar Of Twibbley Doobley when they could of stuck this on at 8.30 on a Friday night and it would have been in the final (against Bladder, natch :D )

2 Series of Phoenix nights (as good as it is) and one very ropey spin off cannot compete against 9 series of genius.

Leave it Paul!

Is it just me that thinks gently tweaking the foibles of Lancashire folk just isn't funny and certainly not enough to base a whole career on?

Last edited:
Seinfeld for me, all the way!

I would have chosen this Sit-com initially, but the selection was, I thought, for British only.

Fantastic characters, great stories (bar a couple of flaky episodes). Superb!

Shame though because Phoenix Nights is damn good too. Bit of a heavywwight, although niche, clash this.

Have never watched Seinfield as I just do not get American comedy -

I do on the other hand like Peter Kay so has got to be Phoenix nights for me although, I thought the spin off Max & Paddy was better

Seinfeld is probably the biggest sit-com of all time. Phoenix Nights was good for what it was but should surely be destroyed by a true comedic behemoth.

This is the most difficult choice so far, unforunately as much i love Phoenix Nights Seinfeld is actually better.

If Phoenix Nights wins this I will boycott the rest of the competition in protest! Intelligent, superbly scripted comedy vs a bunch of Northerners playing on the same old Northern stereotypes every episode. God I can't stand Peter Kay.

If Phoenix Nights wins this I will boycott the rest of the competition in protest! Intelligent, superbly scripted comedy vs a bunch of Northerners playing on the same old Northern stereotypes every episode. God I can't stand Peter Kay.

I can't stand the way he's been flogging the same stand up act now for 5 years admittedly, but I love Phoenix Nights. Its one of those rare comedies that's gotten better the more I watch it. So many little jokes he plants in the first episodes rear their heads again near the finale of series 2. Its not my favourite show ever, but I'm ashamed to admit I've only ever watched Seinfeld once or twice (I just didn't really 'get' American shows as a rule until quite recently?). I'll obstain from voting unless it gets close, as it'd be unfair to vote for one without ever test driving the other...

We begin week 2 of BotS with a whimper ...

Seinfeld (Mad Cyril) vs Phoenix Nights (joshc)

A whimper? Are you having a laugh? This is a massive one!

I really love Phoenix Nights. A cracking show and I'm not bagging it in the slightest but it really ought to be murdered here.

For Seinfeld is truly the king of sitcoms. Totally revolutionary in that it was essentially – and famously – the ‘show about nothing’. Not just that, but it was based around four characters who are basically pretty mean and unkind people, which was a first for sitcoms.

Widely regarded to be one of the finest sitcoms ever – and voted as such by TV Guide in the USA - it was nominated for and won a litany of awards throughout the 1990s. Not just for the writing and directing, but for the acting as well, with Michael Richards’ depiction of Kramer being particularly praiseworthy.

Some of the episodes were truly groundbreaking. ‘The Contest’ was entirely about masturbation (the contest in the title being which of the shows main characters could last the longest with masturbating) yet was written in a way that was acceptable to be shown on network TV in the early 1990s. That alone is probably worthy of it winning this competition. ‘The Betrayal’ was another classic, with all scenes shown in reverse order. The final episode was watched by some 76m people in the USA.

One lucky sod is going to win the first three seasons in the raffle this Saturday. A truly fantastic prize.

Or, more succinctly, as Kenny Bania would put it:

"It's the best Jerry! The best!"

bania.jpg

Abstaining. never really seen enough of Seinfeld to judge it, and even though i enjoyed Phoenix Nights, it's been completely overkilled. And Peter Kay just annoys me, "Ee I'm a cheeky northern chappy, just how many stereotypes can i conform to?" F**k Off. Infact i may have just talked myself into voting Seinfeld. I'll just go watch some clips.

Back