• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Sitcoms - Round Two (Heat 3)

Which Sitcom ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
After yesterdays rather one sided affairs we have a couple PAUSE FOR POXY FIRE ALARM - STANDING OUTSIDE IN THE P!SSING RAIN FOR HALF AN HOUR !!!!!! - a couple of closely matched shows today

First up I'm Alan Partridge (seany t) vs Steptoe and Son (canveyshrimper)

Both favourites of mine, and both just about scraped through the first round ... lets see who is going through to the Quarter-Finals

Last edited:
Just to let you all know that the draw for the Quarter-Finals will be taking place on Saturday morning live from Lords, the home of cricket and will be done by BLUEBLOOD Junior and SUFCLiam ... with monitoring by SUFCEssex and stickyboy (well thats how i am trying to plan it anyway)

I will post it up as soon as i am able

Just to let you all know that the draw for the Quarter-Finals will be taking place on Saturday morning live from Lords, the home of cricket and will be done by BLUEBLOOD Junior and SUFCLiam ... with monitoring by SUFCEssex and stickyboy (well thats how i am trying to plan it anyway)

I will post it up as soon as i am able

You'll have to remind me when we all agreed this as i must have missed it.

Will it be put up on the big screen and does that mean you'll be carrying a bag with all the names in it and we have to dress in suits like trevor brooking. I was only going for a beer and to see essex win now i have the added pressure of monitoring a qt.final SZ battle of the sitcoms draw.

Vote for a classic of British sitcom, vote Steptoe & Son, you know it makes sense.

Harry, you're not doing Only Fools here you know! Steptoe for me though, didn't vote for it last time but Steve Coogan is right up there with Ricky Gervais in my book, simply irritating.

Well "I'm Alan Partridge" is my choice, so I guess I ought to give any of you fence sitters a reason to vote for it.

"I'm Alan Partridge" was a comedy that came out in the last 125 years. It featured a new approach to television involving a premise, some characters and something which we now call 'jokes'. Some people found the central character annoying, which was kind of the central idea, so they are by inadvertently hating it actual the shows biggest fans. It was deemed a 'cult' show, meaning that it will likely get knocked out of this competition by a vastly more accepted programme that'll in turn get to the semi-finals and then get exposed for being, in actual fact, a bit rubbish. If you don't vote for it to win, then "Only fools and horses" or "Blackadder" will. And no-one wants that.

Well, other than about 57% of you I suspect...

For proof of why Alan Partridge is amazing, look here:

"If I squeeze it, a jet of molten Bramley apple is going to squirt out. Could go your way. Could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBotwBfwGCQ

"You're a mentalist!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV8tciBFpCI

"Dan!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Na6z03tW4

"You never 'ad a cuppo beans?!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7EPVQXUM8

You'll have to remind me when we all agreed this as i must have missed it. We didn't agree to it .. it just occurred to me this morning that it'd be a bit different##

Will it be put up on the big screen Good idea .. i'll see if i can sort it
and does that mean you'll be carrying a bag with all the names in it there'll only be 8 and we have to dress in suits like trevor brooking. If you want to dress like a c*ckney c*nt go ahead, i fear there'll be many adorning W*** H** colours there on Saturday :madman: I was only going for a beer and to see essex win with you on that one !!!! now i have the added pressure of monitoring a qt.final SZ battle of the sitcoms draw.things must be done on the straight and narrow you know

## = first round drawn from my lounge, second round at the SZ BBQ, Quarters from Lords .. just need a venue for the Semi draw and we're home and hosed

## = first round drawn from my lounge, second round at the SZ BBQ, Quarters from Lords .. just need a venue for the Semi draw and we're home and hosed

so your looking at wembley or the olympic stadium beijing, maybe that young diver kid can draw the semi.

Unfortunately I can't access youtube from work, and as far as I can see there aren't a lot of classic clips of the Steptoes on there.

This IMO was a classic sitcom, brilliantly written and beautifully acted by the two main stars Harry H Corbett & Wilfrid Brambell, More so considering that a lot of the episodes were two handers with only the two main characters featuring.

The forever aspiring Harold always trying to get out of the drudgery of his life as a rag and bone man, and wanting to enjoy the finer things in life, and be above his lowly station.

harry-corbett.jpg

steptoeandson_4_396x222.jpg

He was always held back by his "dirty old man" of a father who would always prick his pompousness, and invariably thwart any plans that Harold had to reach his aspirations.

s3.jpg

albert_steptoe_home.jpg

Albert was afraid of losing his son and be left on his own in his old age.

It was alleged that both actors hated each other which may also have been a reason why their on screen chemistry worked so well.

Both actors had sad private lives, Harry H Corbett was forever typecast as Harold Steptoe while Wilfrid Brambell was alleged to have a prediliction for young boys.

Written by Galton & Simpson amongst our finest script writers whose credits also include Hancock's Half Hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Galton

Having viewed some episodes recently, although it looks a bit dated the comedy is still as fresh today as it was over 40 years ago.

Vote Steptoe to keep a classic sitcom in the draw.

Thanks Harry.

Both absolute classics - very tough call.

Some of the Steptoe episodes were a bit weak, but the acidity of Albert and the pathos of Harold were magnificent at their peak. The 'Steptoe and Son' film where Harold marries Zeta the stripper is genius. As the organist starts to play 'Here Comes the Bride', Albert turns to his son and says 'I'm surprised she's not taking her clothes off'. Amazing.

Partridge was more consistently brilliant but it's easier to be consistent when you only make two series. That said, few programmes have contributed so many phrases to popular culture ('mentalist', 'back of the net', 'kiss my face' etc), so the lack of quantity is not a significant issue when you look at the quality. My vote is cast.

Needles to say, Alan has the last laugh.

Unfortunately I can't access youtube from work, and as far as I can see there aren't a lot of classic clips of the Steptoes on there.

This IMO was a classic sitcom, brilliantly written and beautifully acted by the two main stars Harry H Corbett & Wilfrid Brambell, More so considering that a lot of the episodes were two handers with only the two main characters featuring.

The forever aspiring Harold always trying to get out of the drudgery of his life as a rag and bone man, and wanting to enjoy the finer things in life, and be above his lowly station.

harry-corbett.jpg

steptoeandson_4_396x222.jpg

He was always held back by his "dirty old man" of a father who would always prick his pompousness, and invariably thwart any plans that Harold had to reach his aspirations.

s3.jpg

albert_steptoe_home.jpg

Albert was afraid of losing his son and be left on his own in his old age.

It was alleged that both actors hated each other which may also have been a reason why their on screen chemistry worked so well.

Both actors had sad private lives, Harry H Corbett was forever typecast as Harold Steptoe while Wilfrid Brambell was alleged to have a prediliction for young boys.

Written by Galton & Simpson amongst our finest script writers whose credits also include Hancock's Half Hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Galton

Having viewed some episodes recently, although it looks a bit dated the comedy is still as fresh today as it was over 40 years ago.

Vote Steptoe to keep a classic sitcom in the draw.

Thanks Harry.

Quick clear up

Harry H was not upset by being type cast , as he was still a stage actor and very well respected

They actually got on very well (as both their familys dispelled they rumour a little while back after the docu drama on BBC3)

Wilfred Bramble was an old fruit as (as they said in the old days ) however given his age most people he went after were "boys" to him (no Stonewall in those days ;) Plus an old aquantance of mine knew him back in the day (he and a few drinking buddies drank in the same pub ) and they were never aware of any scandal and knew im fairly well (this was also an east end boozer )

Steptoe over Patridge for me.

Harry, you're not doing Only Fools here you know! Steptoe for me though, didn't vote for it last time but Steve Coogan is right up there with Ricky Gervais in my book, simply irritating.

I'm going to do well to win this won Kay so all fair tactics should be employed. Have to agree abot the combined effects of Coogan & Gervais.:)

Back