• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Sitcoms - Round Two (Heat 4)

Which Sitcom ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
Secondly today we have My Name is Earl (Napster) vs The Vicar of Dibley (Genial Harry Grout)

I don't know the first one, and can't stand the second .. so its probably a good job i leave the voting to you lot !!!!

I believe Napster is holidaying, so if anyone would care to take up the battle on his behalf i'm sure he'd be very grateful

Earl everytime. It's wonderfully written, brilliant acted and full of absolute comedy gems. Wonderful characters - Randy the dimwitted by kind hearted brother, Crabman and Joy, Catalina the incredibly hot illegal immigrant, Kenny etc...etc.

It's more than a comedy - it's a great way to live your life as well. Do good things, and good things will happen to you!

Vote My Name Is Earl for a better world!

You can take that post Paul, and equally well apply it to VoD - we already know the creative writing force behind it is none other than Richard Curtis, who was also partly responsible for Blackadder and some of the best and well loved British films across the world. The cast list is a plethora of British comedic talent - Dawn French herself as Geraldine, the "babe with a bob cut and a magnificent bosom"; Roger Lloyd Pack as the farmer, Owen, with strange fixations about his animals but with a heart of gold; Gary Waldhorn and James Fleet as father and dim son, David and Hugo Horton; Emma Chambers as the verger, Alice; Trevor Peacock as Jim "nnnnno,nnnnno," Trott and, in the early series, Liz Smith as Letitia Cropley, the "Queen of Cordon Bleurgh".

It's light, and easy to watch, full of visual humour as well as the scripted, and absolutely timeless. Guest stars including Kylie and Johnny Depp have popped up in it and it's consistently been a ratings winner for the Beeb with Christmas specials.

It looks like Kay is backing another loser :'(

Not yet Lee, there are still going to be plenty of voters around that don't like these American comedies and prefer the simpler, straightforward style of VoD. Besides which, I'm sure GHG will have his say a little later.

Not yet Lee, there are still going to be plenty of voters around that don't like these American comedies and prefer the simpler, straightforward style of VoD. Besides which, I'm sure GHG will have his say a little later.

there is nothing better on tv at the moment than Earl.

Come on people. Despite Kay's assertion that Richard Curtis wrote VOD he obviously churned it out on an off day.

MNIE is a supreme comedy tour-de-force! Come on people!

Come on people. Despite Kay's assertion that Richard Curtis wrote VOD he obviously churned it out on an off day.

I imagine the winner of this would be your Quarter-Final opponent of choice Paul ??

I imagine the winner of this would be your Quarter-Final opponent of choice Paul ??

Ah Lee, I'll take on allcomers. ;)

Blacky all the way it's the toppermost of the poppermost - but MNIE is a definite gem and I can't believe it's being beaten by Dawn French and the Vicar of DibbleyBoingyDoodah.

Lot of "off days" there then - only ever 20 episodes and 4 Comic Relief shorts. Oh, that means it's done its bit for good causes too then! ;)

Lot of "off days" there then - only ever 20 episodes and 4 Comic Relief shorts. Oh, that means it's done its bit for good causes too then! ;)

I have a sneaky suspicion that Richard Curtis might be a bit of a Guy Ritchie? In other words, he's done one very decent thing and he gets treated like a God for it.

I mean, every film he's made other than "Four weddings" has been utter tosh in my opinion, no better than any of those terrible American rom-coms we so flippantly deride. Before those, there was the first series of Blackadder that he largely wrote (with Atkinson). Absolutely woeful. It took Elton coming on board to sort that show out in the subsequent 3 series, and whilst Curtis had a co-writing credit I've seen many an interview allude to the Penfold-lookalike himself penning the majority of the scripts. And the VOD again is co-written (so not just his own work) and really isn't a comedy work of genius, just a nice set of bumbling British stereotypes.

I've nothing against the guy as it's obvious he's capable of doing something right from parts of Blackadder and the VOD's high points, but I do think he gets treated like a Godlike genius a bit easily by the British population...

And being pedantic, MNIE is ALL about doing things for good causes! :)

VOD just echoes back to the 1970's when sitcoms were about "eccentric" characters...ho ho ho, stereotypes. It's like The Young Ones never existed!

Last edited:
Back