• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the Sitcoms - Round Two (Heat 7)

Which Sitcom ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
Definately a case of after the Lords Mayor Show for me today, as we follow Fawlty Towers et al with 2 piles of crap, 1 show i've never seen and an enjoyable, if slightly far fetched, time travelling yarn

Phoenix Nights (Josh C) vs The Orifice .. sorry, Office (Fatshrimp)

:zzzzz::zzzzz:

I don't understand some people. For me this is possibly the toughest battle - both of these two wee all over some of the crud that's been in this battle. The Office was an absolute work of pure genius - despite Gervais hanging onto this form of awkward comedy for the rest of his career, The Office is one of the top 5 sitcoms of all time.

The characters of David Brent, Gareth, the romance between Tim & Dawn. It hasn't dated and is still painfully funny every time I watch it.

However Phoenix Nights is also a great character driven piece, sadly missed. Max & Paddy wasn't a patch on it so.......The Office all the way.

Phoenix-Nights-Peter-Kay.jpg

No words needed

I love The Office, but Phenix nights really cracks me up... Shame we didn't' have Max and Paddy's road to nowhere!!

I don't understand some people. For me this is possibly the toughest battle - both of these two wee all over some of the crud that's been in this battle.

With MK 100% here. Two absolute crackers and, along with Porridge vs Fawlty, the only one in this round that has given me something to think about. I'll come back to this a bit later...

Not much I can do or say, but Phoenix Nights is brilliant. I get my AS level results today and I'm sur ethey'll be bad so please give me one small victory today...

it's all about Phoenix Nights! I assume this is against the UK Office, which has been completely outdone by the superb american version

Phoenix Nights. Found it funny the first time round, although it didn't stand up to repeat viewings. Which easily beats the Office, Ricky Gervais' rampaging ego & mid-life crisis put onto screen, comedies are meant to be funny not to make me cringe. I quite like him as a standup but i cannot abide his writing. I'd rather scoop out my eyeballs with a rusty teaspoon than watch the Office, it would be more funny too.

I like both of these a lot but am very surprised its quite as close. I guess The Office is a more polarising choice, but I suspected it to win easily here. Though PNights does have the Peter Kay factor I s'pose...

As for the American version of The Office; can someone explain to me whats so good about it? Given it a go on a few occasions now, and STILL NOT GETTING IT. Hit me with some youtube folks...

Phoenix Nights. Found it funny the first time round, although it didn't stand up to repeat viewings. Which easily beats the Office, Ricky Gervais' rampaging ego & mid-life crisis put onto screen, comedies are meant to be funny not to make me cringe. I quite like him as a standup but i cannot abide his writing. I'd rather scoop out my eyeballs with a rusty teaspoon than watch the Office, it would be more funny too.

that's pretty much my take on it except I think Gervais is a crap standup and doesn't make me laugh at all...oh and he wrote the worst Simpsons episode there is :thump:

Disagree with you about Phoenix Nights not being able to stand up to repeat viewing. It is superbly well written and every time I watch it I seem to discover new jokes subtly hidden away. I'm not a fan of either Gervais or Kay's stand-up, but these were two excellent series although Phoenix Nights edges it for me.

Back