• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle Of The SUFC Legends - Semi Finals - Chris Powell vs Steve Tilson

Who is more of an SUFC legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Vote for who is more of an SUFC legend in your opinion, poll closes in 48 hours.

Chris Powell
1st in Group C with 102 votes >> 35-2 Peter Butler >> 26-6 Alan Moody
(Supported by blues r best the attacking left back is a legend. End of really. But is he the greatest? He spent 6 years at Roots Hall in the 90's and made 248 appearances, finding the net 3 times. In six years at the club Powell made 288 first team appearances. In November 2004 a BBC poll of Southend United supporters voted Powell their all-time cult hero. One fan described him as "A very skilled, left-footed defender, who could quite possibly be considered one of the nicest men in football, a true gent." In January 1996 Powell moved to Derby County for a fee of £750,000.)

Steve Tilson
1st in Group B with 98 votes >> 46-1 Peter Taylor >> 61-18 Billy Best
(We all know what Shrimpled's man has done as manager and that could win him this competition alone but he also spent 10 years as a Southend player from '88 to '98 making 239 appearances before returning in 2002 for 2 years as player coach to make 4 more appearances and scored a total 26 goals for the Shrimpers. Tilson began his footballing career with non-league side Witham Town before being signed by then Southend manager David Webb. During the 1990s, Tilson appeared in just under 250 matches and played in the side that won two consecutive promotions in the early part of the decade. Tilson played continually for Southend, except for a loan spell at Brentford, until 1998, when he signed for Canvery Island.)

Tough one. Should be the final for me. Tilly edged it though - He is southend through & through, whereas Chrissy has a few other favourite teams and turned down the chance to come back a few years ago.

Woah, like choosing between your own children....

However it is just a fun poll on a a forum so I will make a choice and not wimp out.

It's Tilly for me. If it was just for what they achieved with us as a player then Sir Chrissy Powell would shade it. However when you take into account what Tilson has achieved and continues to achieve as manager then that swings it. Steve Tilson is Mr Southend United and long may that continue. I think if we look back in 50 years time we could view him as quite possibly the pivotal individual in our history.

Woah, like choosing between your own children....

However it is just a fun poll on a a forum so I will make a choice and not wimp out.

It's Tilly for me. If it was just for what they achieved with us as a player then Sir Chrissy Powell would shade it. However when you take into account what Tilson has achieved and continues to achieve as manager then that swings it. Steve Tilson is Mr Southend United and long may that continue. I think if we look back in 50 years time we could view him as quite possibly the pivotal individual in our history.

very well put, Im still wimping out though

This should have been the final.
Sack the person who made this draw!

I loved Chrissie Powell and is a Southend Legend however, Tilly is an even bigger Southend man (and had a lovely bum).
Guess you can safely say where I have voted ;)

This competition is about players not managers.

Both were legends as players, Tilly played here most of his career, the Lord Chris Powell spent less time here but was pure class, and went on to play for England.

So Sir Chris Powell for me.

So tough but I cant see anyone other than Tilly winning this. Powell was fantastic over a number of years but once he left that was it. Tilly was good as a player and great as a manager.

If Webb, Trigg or Smith ever played for us then they would have been eligible. If you are talking about SUFC legends then I don't think you can just seperate Tilly's playing career with us from his managerial one.

Don't get me wrong, if there's a big comeback from Chrissy Powell and he goes on to win the whole competition then I still feel he will be a very worthy winner.

If Webb, Trigg or Smith ever played for us then they would have been eligible. If you are talking about SUFC legends then I don't think you can just seperate Tilly's playing career with us from his managerial one.

Agreed its a hard call Lib .. its looking like a Stanley vs Tilly final

On the pitch its Stan, no question .. but if you were to ask me who is a bigger SUFC legend then Tilly wins

Clarification please manor/Drastic

Having been too young to have witnessed Powell play for us, I had to opt for Tilson because of the job his done as a manager (I was also too young to have missed Tilson playing).

What Tilson has done for this Club is incredible. Back to back promotions, back-to-back LDV finals, beating Man Utd, drawing at Stamford Bridge, holding Spurs at WHL until the death, play-offs the season after being relegated and then narrowly missing out on them against last season.

Legend is a word that is often overused, but it was invented for people like Sir Steve Tilson.

If it's legend as a player, then Chrissy 'Wiggle it, just a little bit' Powell wins for me I am afraid. People will need to bear that in mind come the final.

Should this poll not be re-started on the correct basis?

I personally voted for Chrissy Powell because as a player he was tecnically far better than Tilly IMO & a complete legend in his own right with us & at every club he's ever been to.

Webby for me is the legend as manager because he was the 1st to have taken us to Div 2 (old money) & he kept us there comfortably. I truly believe that if he'd not resigned we'd have been in the play offs & then who knows what would've happened.

Personally that tips the balance over Tilly, simply by being 1st & under Tilly we were never going to win Div 2, whereas under Webby who knows??

Back