• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who is more of an SUFC legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Here it is. It's the big one. The final of the Battle of the SUFC Legends. You have 48 hours to vote for who, in your opinion, is more of an SUFC legend. Remember to vote in the third place play-off between Kevin Maher and Chris Powell which will only be open for 24 hours. Let voting commence!

Stan Collymore
1st Group E >> 14-5 David Crown >> 72-52 Freddy Eastwood >> 77-41 Kevin Maher
(What can you say about number11's man Stan? Bought by Colin Murphy in November 1992, he almost single handedly saved us from the drop by his trademark solo goals. If you haven't got the video, The Collymore Collection, then shame on you. There isn't a tap in amongst them. Who can forget the solo goal against Huddersfield at Leeds Road, the double strike against Bristol Rovers that the keeper never even saw or Stanley throwing his boots triumphantly into the crowd on the final day of the season after the match against Luton. Sold to Nottingham Forest for over £2 million and then Liverpool and Villa. After moving briefly to Real Oviedo in Spain after a rather unhappy time at Leicester and Bradford City, Stanley hung his boots up in 2001 at the age of 30. What a waste. Stanley says his happiest moments as a player were at Roots Hall. You can come back anytime Stan. 18 goals in 33 League and Cup games.)

Steve Tilson
1st in Group B with 98 votes >> 46-1 Peter Taylor >> 61-18 Billy Best >> 83-20 Chris Powell
(We all know what Shrimpled's man has done as manager and that could win him this competition alone but he also spent 10 years as a Southend player from '88 to '98 making 239 appearances before returning in 2002 for 2 years as player coach to make 4 more appearances and scored a total 26 goals for the Shrimpers. Tilson began his footballing career with non-league side Witham Town before being signed by then Southend manager David Webb. During the 1990s, Tilson appeared in just under 250 matches and played in the side that won two consecutive promotions in the early part of the decade. Tilson played continually for Southend, except for a loan spell at Brentford, until 1998, when he signed for Canvery Island.)

I know who I will be talking about as a manager legend in 20 years and I know who I will be talking about as a playing legend in 20 years and they aren't the same man.

Tilly is a great manager, done so much already, but as legends go Collymore is a legend for me, would always be the 1st name in an all time 11, gave me more excitement and entertainment in the short time he was a Blues player than the rest of the time I have been supporting the Blues put together. Anyone that votes for Tilly as a legend as a player are sorely misguided and are letting the fact he is a good and successful manager cloud their judgement.

I know who I will be talking about as a manager legend in 20 years and I know who I will be talking about as a playing legend in 20 years and they aren't the same man.

Tilly is a great manager, done so much already, but as legends go Collymore is a legend for me, would always be the 1st name in an all time 11, gave me more excitement and entertainment in the short time he was a Blues player than the rest of the time I have been supporting the Blues put together. Anyone that votes for Tilly as a legend as a player are sorely misguided and are letting the fact he is a good and successful manager cloud their judgement.

Good post & good points apart from the last sentence. People aren't misguided for voting for Tilly, after all he was voted as player of the millennium by probably a bigger cross section of Blues supporters than SZ.

Agree completely with your views about Collymore he was a one off.

Good post & good points apart from the last sentence. People aren't misguided for voting for Tilly, after all he was voted as player of the millennium by probably a bigger cross section of Blues supporters than SZ.

Agree completely with your views about Collymore he was a one off.

Point taken on the last sentence. What I really meant was that peoples hearts may rule their head as Tilly is in our thoughts constantly as a a manager and the natural thing is to vote for what is close to your heart.

Maybe I don't understand this competition as I've not really been following it until this final. But it seems that this is about who overall is a legend. Is there any mention of it having to be a player?

As a player, Tilly was a consistent loyal servant who always gave the best of his abilities, and he was involved in the incredible promotion years under Webb that took us into unchartered territory. He also loyally hung around for a long time while the club was crumbling before being unceremoniously and unfairly dumped by an awful manager when he should have been the last one out of the door. I believe all that was why he was voted Player of the Millennium. IMHO, that award was over the top given the other better players who could have won it. But he was still a very decent player and an even more decent professional and bloke. Does all that not count towards being a legend? Is it purely about playing talent?

Stan's been without doubt the best footballer I've ever seen play for us by a mile. He should have played for England while with us. How many other players have we said that about? But he lasted less than a season. And he didn't always do it for us every game. I remember the week after his unbelievable debut - and he was awful. Most exciting and explosive talent for me, yes, but not the biggest legend.

And if we throw in what Tilly has achieved as a manager, I believe no Southend manager has done better - no matter what the statistics of wins, draws and losses say. He has done this over a considerable period of time rather than just a flash in the pan season. Webb was great but he kept walking out. Tilly has consistently exceeded expectations every season bar the Championship relegation season when he nearly pulled it off.

As a player, Tilly was a legend - if not the greatest legend for pure playing talent. As a manager, Tilly is certainly a legend. I believe the best manager we've had. Overall, he has simply been Mr Southend United for 20 years and has been partly or largely responsible for so much of our successes in that time. I'm trying to look at this objectively and not be swayed because he's our current manager, but I can't believe anyone deserves it more than him.

Just the memory of Stanley Victor Collymore on the ball in a Southend shirt makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. He was the most naturally gifted and exciting player I've ever seen and I may never have the priviledge of seeing his like again.

However Steve Tilson IS Mr Southend United and so he gets my vote.

churnley, davewebbsbrain, GlasgowSUFC, Kestrel, Magnum PI, phsend, Ricey

SHAME ON YOU ALL!

This is based on playing career, hence no Dave Webb, Frankie Banks, Ron Martin etc.... (yes the last one is sarcasm).

Tilly was a good player for us in spells, but also had spells out of favour, not least when Ricky Otto came in and showed us what a left winger was all about. The likes of Maher, Powell, Sansome matched or bettered Tilly on the playing front. Earnest as his performances were he was never a 'great player'.

Therefore, whilst I would have gone for Powell overall, between these two it has to be Stan for the sheer brilliance, the likes of which we are unlikely to see again.

Stan the man..your time is up.
Step aside for Mr Southend United.

Steve Tilson, truly legendary round these parts.

As a player, do you honestly think you will be talking about Tilly in 20 years...of course not. As a manager, yes, he is legendary already, but not as a player.

Will you be talking about Collymore in 20 years time....of course you will, he will be forever talked about as the best player to grace a Southend shirt.

Maybe I don't understand this competition as I've not really been following it until this final. But it seems that this is about who overall is a legend. Is there any mention of it having to be a player?

For the love of god don't start this up again!

Stan the Man was a one off. Pure class, energy, genius even (like alot of geniuses he later proved to be flawed), the thrill of him picking up the ball and bearing down on a defence making them look like rabbits in headlights was second to none.

Tilly spent most of his playing career at the Hall, a local lad born and bred, part of the double promotion winging side, a decent if unspectaular winger who knew how to cross a ball that I'd love to have in the team now. 239 apps in 10 years isn't that many (23.9 per season). Then there's the management stuff.

I don't have any kids, but this is what I imagine it's like being asked to choose between them, something I refuse to do. Abstain

Screw it, Stan it is - there will never be another like him.

I am shocked Tilly is walking this. Can anyone remember much about Tilly's playing career....thought not!

I think a lot of people haven't got the jist of it and are basing a lot on his managerial career rather than playing career.

I think a lot of people haven't got the jist of it and are basing a lot on his managerial career rather than playing career.

The way I took it from the original is that it was people who had played for the shrimpers. That being the case, Tilsons managerial efforts do count as he has been a player. Nothing was mentioned about playing days only.
I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong

The way I took it from the original is that it was people who had played for the shrimpers. That being the case, Tilsons managerial efforts do count as he has been a player. Nothing was mentioned about playing days only.
I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong

Yeah I can understand the confusion. It may have been better to have just opened it up to all connected so the likes of Webby could be included as well. Overall contribution would no doubt see Tilly at the top, but on playing days I think people are being blinkered by what he then went on to do after his playing days.

Its a difficult one as Stan was a one off but was not here for. His brilliance has outshone many with longer careers and Id have him ahead of Tilly for that.

I just loved Tilly as a player - sure there were (many) better players. But for my mind he was a complete 100 per cent guy. Every match he'd give anything for his Blue shirt. If this was a greatest player contest it's Stan every time, but this is about legends. Tilson for me.

Congratulations to...
shrimpled
and
Sir Steve Tilson
The greastest SUFC legend of all time, according to the members of SZ.

Blimey, didn't vote on this - forgot to when I got home yesterday - but am glad Tilly won really. Very fitting.

It's a fix.... King out!

Didn't realise the poll was closing, but my vote for stan wouldn't have changed the landslide. Be nice if sz could present something to tilly? I know it's only a fan poll of a small x-section of fans, but I would think it's probably a fair result that most fans would have voted for.

Back