• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the SUFC Players of the 00's: Adam Barrett vs Kevin Maher

Who is the best SUFC player of the 00's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tough one. Maher undoubtedly the more talented player, but Barrett was a far bigger hit with the fans. Barrett actually got away with a lot of defensive incompetence thanks to his fist-pumping and popping in to the box to score many an important goal, whilst Maher spent much of the early part of the decade cruising through games.

If the criteria is who was the better player as opposed to who struck more of a chord with the Roots Hall faithful, then Maher it is.

Hmm, tough call for me, both were loyal to Southend, and both have served as captains. I wish'd I could vote for both, but I think Barrett just about gets my vote.

One rarely made mistakes and was the backbone of the second most successful spell in my lifetime but despised by many fans. The other was Adam Barrett. The complete opposite yet seems to have 20 votes. BIZARRE

God a really tough choice.

Barrett.
+ Southend born & bred. 6 years at Southend. Committed. Scored a few for CB.
- Error prone. Lack of pace esp last couple years.

Maher.
+ King Kev. 10 yrs @ SUFC. Captain (Barrett only got armaband after Kev left). Ran the midfield.
- Poor start to SUFC career. Didn't score many.

Maher shades it for me.

Maher for me epitomises everything a smart player should be, strong, passionate, skillful, talented, visionary and a leader. Agree with DWB's comment on the sideways ball, it created spaced and allowed the ball to progress as opposed to a hopeful ball into the crowded centre of the park or towards statuesque strikers. I'm another who just got him. As for Barrett's goals, whose heavily criticised corners constantly found Barretts head to create a weighty assist's tally.

The only probably Maher had here was that so many players were just not on his wavelength. Captain Fantastic!!!

Maher as captain - Two promotions inc the play off final win, Two LDV final appearances, Beat Man U and reached the last 8 of the Carling Cup.

Barrett as captain - Two relegations, Drew with Chelsea.

Back