• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the SUFC Players of the 00's: Adam Barrett vs Kevin Maher

Who is the best SUFC player of the 00's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Adam Barrett (Ayrshire Blue)

VERSUS

KevinMaher_561698.jpg

Kevin Maher (manor15)

Please ONLY vote for your favourite, or who you regard to be the best player of the group.
Ayrshire Blue please feel free to post messages of why people should vote for your player.
This poll will close in 24 hours.​

Kevin Maher
_42458859_maher_getty300.jpg

King Kev began his career with Tottenham Hotspur before he moved to Southend United on a free transfer on 23 January 1998. He quickly broke into the first team, making 18 appearances for the first-team that season. During the 1998–99 season, Maher scored his first career goal in a 1–1 draw with Rochdale. Over the next 10 years Maher was a virtual ever-present for Southend, rising to be team captain and subsequently club captain. During this time he made more than 400 appearances for the club, and captained Southend to promotion twice, from League Two to the Championship, in successive seasons including a fine display in the League 2 play-off final. Maher also captained his side to a famous victory over Manchester United in arguably the clubs most successful spell from when he lead the Blues out at the first ever cup final until the famous victory over Manchester United. A fantastic passer of the ball, Maher gained many assists, as well as scoring a few, most memorably a double against QPR in a 5-0 victory, although he was predominantly a defensive central midfielder who sat back and broke up the play well, particularly being so committed. However, in the 07-08 season he had to look elsewhere for first team football and joined Oldham after a loan spell at Gillingham, where he spent the 2009-10 season, but he still makes the effort to come and see the Blues play whenever possible, memorably sitting with fans to see the Blues lose to c*l ewe this season.​

Kevin Maher was at the club between 1998 and 2008, earning a testimonial in the process, as he captained the side through the best part of their history, especially between 2003 and 2008 when he captained the side to League 2 Play-Off victory, the League 1 Championship, a win over Manchester United and some of the most memorable moments in the clubs history. The fans favourite scored 22 goals for the Shrimpers in over 400 appearances.​

Sam has obviously had a bit of spare time on his hands this afternoon with his write up, I'll post up my own a little later but for now I'll leave you with ....

Adam Barrett. Southend United born and bred. He's one of us.

Adam-Barrett-Southend-United-Chelsea-FA-Cup-T_1780639.jpg

It's always gonna be Maher for me. A fantastic servant for The Blues and I could always see his thinking on the sideways balls. You gotta create space before pumping the ball forwards. I totally got King Kev. I hope he doesn't get into the final against my choice, that will be hard.

Maher for me.

Such an underrated player for us, and some of the abuse he was still getting in the final months of his career was disgusting.

I wasn't around for his early years, but since I've watched him I've been a massive fan. Until we brought in Macca on loan back in League Two when Maher was suspended, if Maher didn't play, or play badly, we tended to lose more than we lost. Maher was a big part of the Tilson era, and all our play was built around his ability to pick a pass. If you read the first LDV programme one of the players (possibly Drewenaldo) said our game plan was to play it through Maher.

Barrett has done a lot of good for this Club, but that was off the back of Captain Kev's work beforehand.

Barrett's effort and commitment was always 100% forget the past season with the off the field troubles and try to remember the good times.

When he was scoring goals for fun and defending like his life depended on it.

He wore our badge and the armband with great pride.

Possibly the 2 greatest legends to ever where the shirt.

I can't vote, I just don't know what to do with myself I feel like a cat trying to eat a mouse but I'm stuck to the floor with super glue.

errmmm? Did that make sense?

Going to have to be Barrett love Kevin Maher, but Barrett was superb. Always had time for anyone and everyone and never forget Col Ewe away 2 seasons ago when he went over and taunted the Col Ewe barside end :) :D

Maher - Nothing Special

What we missed last season was a midfielder capable of passing the ball to another Southend player.

Maher rarely gave the ball away and was great at bringing wide players into the game. Very underrated.

I voted for Barrett :)

Back