• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the SUFC Players of the 00's: Mark Gower vs Shaun Goater

Who is the best SUFC player of the 00's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Mark Gower (Museshrimper)

players_28558.jpg

VERSUS

0,,10327~2713585,00.jpg

Shaun Goater (Napster)

Please ONLY vote for your favourite, or who you regard to be the best player of the group.
Museshrimper and Napster please feel free to post messages of why people should vote for your player.
This poll will close in 24 hours.​

Goater for me. He was only here one season but made a big impact. If you look at his career, he played at a much higher level and was an international.

The Goat for me aswell, not only for what he gave to the cause in his final season but I also think he helped Freddy's development alot in that year.

One was a striker who scored 11 goals for us, the other was a midfielder who scored 41 and set-up countless more.

The voice of reason. Love the Goat and what a season, but Mark Gower was sorely missed when he left.

Agree with that completely.

Goater was fantastic for us, and is rightly a legend for his footballing career, but Gower did an awful lot more.

Gower has never really been replaced since his departure. Hopefully a combination of Zaboub and Hall can finally replace the quality that Gower had out wide left. He scored goals, created chances, and was a joy to watch.

Gower easily.

The Goat did well for us but nostalgia seems to be wiping over the way he was slated for part of the season....

Gower easily.

The Goat did well for us but nostalgia seems to be wiping over the way he was slated for part of the season....

A big part of the season. The threads are still here.

Had we not gone up that year, and his final couple of games not been such major celebrations, I don't think his season here would be looked back on with anything like as much fondness.

It's with a heavy heart that I'm voting against the Goat.

The Goat is a legend. Gower is a Southend Legend.

Gower is a true Southend legend. Not least for that goal vs Northampton that won me over £200 (and a few colleagues a lot more).

Gower a better player but Goater contributed so much to our promotion push, just with his presence at the club- so I go for the Goat.

Little story which I have posted before but happy to repeat:

I met a bloke from Leeds who is a big Man City fan and works there on match days doing corporate stuff.
One particular day the Goat was signing autographs after a game and it started to rain. My bloke was looking after Goaters wife and said “ill go and get him in and out of the rain”. She said something along the lines of , no leave him, he’s happy to sign autographs as long as people are waiting, He always remembers the days at Rotherham when no one wanted his autograph”

Who can ever forget him leaving the field after being subbed on his last Roots hall appearance. What a great moment. What a gent and what a legend.

One was a striker who scored 11 goals for us, the other was a midfielder who scored 41 and set-up countless more.

Sold - Gower. How many midfielders can claim an average of 10 goals a season with countless assists. Goat was magic, but so was Gower, and for longer. Sorry Goat.

Back