• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of the SUFC Players of the 00's: The Final

Who is the best SUFC player of the 00's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Freddy Eastwood (davewebbsbrain)

_42288820_eastwood_pa416.jpg

VERSUS

players_28558.jpg

Mark Gower (Museshrimper)

Please ONLY vote for your favourite, or who you regard to be the best player of the tournament.
Davewebbsbrain and Museshrimper please feel free to post messages of why people should vote for your player.
This poll will close in 24 hours.​

Wow, very tough final and the one that's truly deserved IMHO. Have to think about this.

This is a tough one. Eastwood is the best player I've ever seen in a Southend shirt but Gower beats Eastwood in longevity and service. But I'm going to have to go for Eastwood. We wouldn't have got those 2 promotions without him and he gave us so many happy memories.

Gower didnt have a song. Nor did he name his kid Mark Jnr. Nor did his missus get charged with shoplifting. Nor die he score against Man U, or a hat-trick on his debut.

Such a tough one. Freddy is obviously the easy pick. I've gone for Gower though. For five years he was at the heart of every decent attacking move we made. For five years (including the Eastwood years) every time a Southend player had the ball he'd look for where Mark Gower was. When Gower was playing poorly it looked so much worse than when others played poorly simply because of how much of the ball he took. Other players hide on the pitch when things aren't going well.

Eastwood will walk away with this, and I'd certainly never doubt Freddy's abilities. For me though, Gower was something else.

Easy for me. Eastwood. Had the challanger been Maher it would have been tougher

Very tough final, both players deserve to be there, but for me, it has to be Eastwood. His goals in his first 2-3 seasons was what got us our back-to-back promotion success. Gower was a quality player imo, and was very loyal and had a very long spell at the club. Gower has scored some fantastic, memorable goals for the club, but imo, Eastwood has scored more memorable goals, including one which will never be forgotten, his game-winning free-kick against Man Utd. That is why he gets my vote.

Big fan of Gower but Eastwood is one of those players who we only get to see once in a blue moon.

He had so much quality and we wont get to see that sort of player anytime soon unless we get very very lucky.

like others said if it was Maher in the final with Eastwood it would have been tougher but its Eastwood for me although Gower in his day was immense for us

Gower had some great games and I loved the way he cut in from the left so many times and scored cracking goals but I voted Freddy for a reason.

He had me on the edge of my seat so many times with his runs, his shots, his goals. His hat-trick on his debut had me and the rest of Roots Hall purring and bar Stanley Collymore, the most exciting player I have seen play for Southend United.

Thanks for all your votes

I was a massive fan of Gower and he more than played his part in our climb up the leagues, but Freddy Eastwood is the second best player I've seen in a blue shirt. Eastwood a clear winner for me.

I have to say I grew up in the 80's and spent some fantastic evenings on the North Bank watching Crown banging them in, and then into the Angel years, and up to Mr Collymore's time with us. I was then old enough to be allowed to London on my own to watch Arsenal and was up there, then moved up there watching Alan Smith, Merson, Wrighty, Campbell and Bergkamp. By the time Arsenal got Anelka, then Henry and became really good, I'd got married, started producing children and moved back to Essex and returned to the Hall with the kids where Mr Bramble was the main striker then through all the others we tried until King Freddy arrived!!! And I have to say, all the great names I have seen playing for or against Southend or Arsenal, Freddy Eastwood is the most natural goalscorer I have ever seen play. Ok, he didn't have the touch or class of a pedigree international like Bergkamp, but I genuinely believe he was a better player than Ian Wright. Unfortunately for me it always seemed to me it depended on what side of the bed he got out of, otherwise surely West Ham would have kept him and he would have made more of a name for himself with his Championship clubs.

But, for me every time he pulled on that blue shirt he tried his hardest and played out of his skin. And he seemed to have a genuine affection for the Southend fans.

Plus for single handedly winning us the League 2 play off (Who else would look out of the corner of their right eye for the Express Train that was Duncan Jupp) the 2 goals away at Swansea getting us promotion the following season, The well documented Man Utd free kick ............... and the fact that he inspired my youngest son's name then for me it has to be Arise Sir Freddy!!!

Back