• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Battle of....US vs UK sitcoms

Hahahaha....

• Total voters
I love UK comedy - from Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, The Young Ones through to Phoenix Nights to Peep Show and beyond BUT even now I can't look past such absolute gems from the USA like Cheers, Frasier, Curb YE, Seinfeld, Parks & Rec, Arrested Development and a whole host of other shows I've not mentioned.

Of course each country has its duds but for me, has to be the Americans.

I have voted UK as current US stuff (friends etc) is all a bit weak and formaic; in the past MASH etc has set a bench mark and touched issues with stories.
For last 20+ years the UK has kept evolving and, as on other threads, my favorite is The Detectorists. It is hard to beat some of the Black Adders or Python stuff.

US

The best US comedy ****es all over the best UK comedy.

Seinfeld and the first few series of The Simpsons are just untouchable. Then we have The Larry Sanders Show, South Park, King Of The Hill, Daria, Beavis and Butthead etc. etc.

I have voted UK as current US stuff (friends etc) is all a bit weak and formaic; in the past MASH etc has set a bench mark and touched issues with stories.
For last 20+ years the UK has kept evolving and, as on other threads, my favorite is The Detectorists. It is hard to beat some of the Black Adders or Python stuff.

Python was VERY hit and miss.

US

The best US comedy passes all over the best UK comedy.

Seinfeld and the first few series of The Simpsons are just untouchable. Then we have The Larry Sanders Show, South Park, King Of The Hill, Daria, Bravissimo and Butthead etc. etc.

Someone made a boob.....

The US just nicks it for me but there are some wonderful shows from both sides of the pond. My personal top 5 for each country (not necessarily in order)...

US
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
30 Rock
Frasier
Parks And Recreation

UK
Blackadder
Phoenix Nights
Only Fools and Horses
I'm Alan Partridge
The Office

And I'm not even counting The Simpsons. Is it a sitcom? Not sure. Are the first ten or so seasons some of the best telly ever made? Yes.

You've probably got that impression from the heavily advertised American 'comedy' shows Channel 4 likes to buy, they only buy the most generic shows possible because they aren't a big risk (although Brooklyn Nine Nine is decent). If you have Netflix then Arrested Development, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Master of None and Community (once you get past the average first few episodes) give a better idea of what US sitcoms can be, yet most people in the UK have never heard of those shows.

I think the sense of humour between the UK and USA is quite different. Everyone Loves Raymond, Frasier, The Big Bang Theory, King of Queens. Older US comedies like Mork and Mindy, Soap, Bewitched, 3rd Rock from the Sun are all very different in UK Comedy shows.

Fraiser in particular isn't direct humour, more word play and indirect humour that you need to let sink in.

Both countries have produced some amazing comedy. My personal top 5 sitcoms of all time

1. The Office
2. Father Ted
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm
4. Blackadder
5. Fawtly Towers

Fraiser in particular isn't direct humour, more word play and indirect humour that you need to let sink in.

You're joking right? Half of it is almost farce in its direction. Check out the Ski Lodge for example or The Matchmaker, or the Botched Language of the Cranes or Daphne's Room etc etc.

You're joking right? Half of it is almost farce in its direction. Check out the Ski Lodge for example or The Matchmaker, or the Botched Language of the Cranes or Daphne's Room etc etc.

Frasier is very witty in parts but the farce bits really irritate me.

I guess that's why I hate Fawlty Towers.

Last edited:
Fraserburgh is very witty in parts but the farce bits really irritate me.

I guess that's why I hate Fawlty Towers.

Yeah I can see that. Another thing I noticed was that whenever Kelsey Grammer directed an episode, he casted very attractive co-stars to act with.

:smile:

Back