• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BBC - Ben Coker

Hi All,

First time poster, but am on Shrimperzone every day and have been for many years......

Important I start with some background. I am the Exec Producer of Football at the BBC, so look after the likes of Match of the Day.

Most importantly though I am a big Southend fan, went to my first game in the early 70s, have been to every big game since (Including the Ian Benjamin promotion game at Bury!) and have 3 season tickets in the South Upper and will be at Scunthorpe on 12th!

I’ve been working with Ben for the last couple of months and as you may have seen on Twitter the 1st episode of our mini series is on the BBC Sport website this morning. The plan is to release future episodes in the coming weeks and months as things develop and get it on to Football Focus at some point.

I should add that Ben, Chris Powell & the Club have been great. The access we’ve got is rarely seen these days and this has really helped to showcase the life of a League 1 professional and the support his club provides.

Therefore please feel free to spread the word, all publicity is good publicity!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47335571

One final request. It is possible we will be filming at the Barnsley game on Sat and we would like to get fans views on Ben’s situation. I know it’s been widely discussed on these pages, so I am looking to see whether I can reflect that in the next episode of Ben’s story - given the limited resources should the Club offer him a new deal or not?

Nothing is confirmed yet, but if anybody is interested please message me or send an email to phil.bigwood@bbc.co.uk.

Thanks all & UTB!

Phil Bigwood

Very good first episode, and it certainly came across that OUR club can be supportive, professional and welcoming.
The small piece on Ben being the only diabetic player was good to include.

Very good first episode, and it certainly came across that OUR club can be supportive, professional and welcoming.

Thanks for the comment. I’m Type 1 diabetic myself, have been for over 40 years, so Ben’s story is close to my heart in more ways than one.

Just watched it on the BBC Sport page. Very good, and have been following Ben's updates on Youtube as well.

Great that you should post on SZ Phil. It's a roller coaster being a Shrimpers fan, isn't it?

Excellent video from Ben.

A good watch and I believe the club should offer Ben a new 1 year deal with an option for another. Most importantly let him know that's our plan now so that he can concentrate on his recovery and not have to worry about potentially being unemployed and injured. I know this isn't the norm to do that and offer injured players contracts but Ben's a long serving player and was one of the 1st through the door when he had no players so I think its time to show some faith in him in return. Its clear that he's a great player and I'd hate to see him lining up against us just for the sake of a few more months to get fit etc. I understand his wages may temporarily need to go down until he's fit again but I'm sure something can be figured out.

Really nice video which helps us all to get a small insight into what happens behind the scenes. I would love it if Ben could get back to his former self as he will be a first choice full back for us. It was heart warming to see Chris Powell being so supportive and Ben Clarkson working very closely on his recovery. I am hopeful that the club will offer him a one year contract.

For sure an innovative contract ought to be possible to reflect the gamble by our club and Ben on how his comeback works out. Game time, clauses etc.

For sure an innovative contract ought to be possible to reflect the gamble by our club and Ben on how his comeback works out. Game time, clauses etc.

I agree with this, give him some kind of rolling monthly contract, can keep rehabbing with the club then just see how it goes.

I agree with this, give him some kind of rolling monthly contract, can keep rehabbing with the club then just see how it goes.
Only issue with that is that he has refused further contract before injury so what would stop him having 6 or more months in recovery, a couple of good months then leaving for free mid season?

A lot could depend on why he turned down the previous contract offer. If it was a problem with the term that could be sorted but if he said no because he wants to move then he won't get one.

With a second long layoff with injury in 2 seasons, Ben is possibly more likely to stay with us if a new contract offer is available. We are in good shape to be serious promotion contenders next season, so there is an incentive.

Other clubs may have been interested and willing to offer serious money without the ACL injury, but realistically how many Championship (or other wannabe league 1 clubs) will come in for a 29 year old diabetic player with a record of serious injury?

Excellent video and great to get some exposure for Ben and our club at League One level. Ben is one our longest serving and most consistent players over the last 6 years and I would like to see the club offer something for his loyalty.

Football is a harsh business and when Ben was fit him and his advisors obviously felt that the deal that was put on the table could be bettered, either by the club or elsewhere. That was a gamble that has backfired and is the harsh realities of football, especially in the lower leagues.

That’s said Ben seems like a lovely guy and great to see the club and Chris Powell are being as supportive as possible..and hope some sort of arrangement can be worked out on a month by month basis as he recovers.

Great video Phil and enjoy the Barnsley game!

Great video. Like others have said Ben and the club in general come across really well which is nice to see. I would like to see him offered a short term deal with possible extension clause when he proves his fitness.

First, you are to be congratulated Phil for the conception of this video. Apart from those involved in professional sport, the public/fans generally do not see what is involved when an athlete suffers a long-term career threatening injury like Ben’s. This video gives us a glimpse of all aspects and it is therefore refreshingly educational.

After watching this I have nothing but the utmost respect for Ben in what he is going through and, similarly, for others who have suffered and are still suffering long term injuries like Rob Kiernan, Tom Hopper, Sam Barratt, Lewis Gard……………… the list is far too long this season to name everybody. I have to say though that Ben’s personality shines through and he must be missed by the rest of the squad in the dressing room on match days, in addition to his contribution out on the pitch. His determination is undeniable and I sincerely hope the club can come to an arrangement with him such that in the fullness of time he regains full fitness and we all see him in a Shrimpers shirt again. Good luck Ben and I look forward to seeing the next instalment of your come back.

By the way, Sergio is a bit of a star as well.

A lot could depend on why he turned down the previous contract offer. If it was a problem with the term that could be sorted but if he said no because he wants to move then he won't get one.

He wanted to move, expected to move and behaved like an obnoxious w***er at the end of season dinner.

Please get rid.

Genuine and insightful, Ben should be offered at least a 1 year contract, ethically, it's the right thing for the club to do based on his service over the past couple of seasons with us.

Back