• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BBC ESSEX…….great team, appreciated!

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
With the lack of Ifollow coverage in this League (why BT get involved I don’t know)….got to be said what a good job BBC Essex do and much appreciated.
Glen Speller has got to be the best anchorman around and would never know from his impartial presenting who he supports, always enthusiastic either Southend or Col U.
Nick Alliker always does an excellent job alongside Clarkey and Pennyfather who both sound like they would make great managers? The one I don’t like is Ned Kelly for the other lot who drones on and on but don’t have to put up with him for long.
All in all, great job led from the front by Speller, keep it up as very good and would be much missed wether working for a home match or too far or inconvenient to travel for an away game?

Guess with the reduction in funding and ultimate scrapping of the licence fee the commentary will be in jeopardy at some point. I can't imagine it is commercially viable otherwise.
Well here's another positive thread turned negative very quickly ?

Guess with the reduction in funding and ultimate scrapping of the licence fee the commentary will be in jeopardy at some point. I can't imagine it is commercially viable otherwise.
Would be an absolute injustice if programmes like they produce were culled, rather than the cack you get such as Football Focus which has progressively gone down the pan over the last few years.
Speller, Alliker, Clark and Pennyfather know their stuff (regardless of their allegiances), unlike the no-marks on the TV (no names but we all know who they are), who are more interested in footballers’ hair styles, favourite music and other such irrelevances.

Well speaking from Melbourne listening to BBC Essex is fantastic. The commentators are brilliant and the outside effects are equally fantastic. Brilliant.
I have relied on the BBC commentary for the entire time that the club/EFL have provided the opportunity for us Exiles to still have a "Matchday Experience"

My Saturday/midweek and occasional Friday night ritual has been well received by myself. In addition the value for money that despite our demise over the last couple of season has been unquestionable.

Keep it going BBC Essex Sport

UTB!

I have relied on the BBC commentary for the entire time that the club/EFL have provided the opportunity for us Exiles to still have a "Matchday Experience"

My Saturday/midweek and occasional Friday night ritual has been well received by myself. In addition the value for money that despite our demise over the last couple of season has been unquestionable.

Keep it going BBC Essex Sport

UTB!
Could it be an opportunity for the club to look into the feesability of having its own radio station, I think Portsmouth have one for match days?

I think we'll be safe. The BBC will still rake in about 1.5 Billion Pounds a year it was reported this week, even without Licence fees. They can also now introduce other ways of income. They just need to run it properly from now, instead of paying Millions to their top presenters and the top people at the BBC.

I love BBC Essex, especially for the away games. The commentary is great whoever is doing it. And Paul C and Glenn P are brilliant. The only bad commentator's voice I can't stand is Ned Kelly, and he thankfully commentates on Col. U. We are blessed to get this excellent service for our football team. Long gone are the days with no commentary, when with no internet, and no local radio station, no mobiles to ask anyone there at the away ground, we struggled to get the result if the game was mid week, as sometimes they put results up after the news, but sometimes they didn't. I also highly recommend Glenn Pennyfather's local football show on Thursdays. Covering mostly Southend and that other lot, but also smaller clubs in this part of Essex. It's a great listen, and he asks the right questions of guests on the phone, or whatever link. He has fans phoning in as well.

I think we'll be safe. The BBC will still rake in about 1.5 Billion Pounds a year it was reported this week, even without Licence fees. They can also now introduce other ways of income. They just need to run it properly from now, instead of paying Millions to their top presenters and the top people at the BBC.
It's selling their content around the world that rakes in the millions and billions. Cricket has suffered dramatically over the past 16 years since it stopped being broadcast on terrestrial TV (even TMS now can't afford to outbid Talksport on some overseas tours).
If the BBC can cut back on internal bureaucracy and renegotiate high wages packets they probably will, but cuts to local radio won't be too far behind.

I’ve got to say I find Nick Alliker a bit repetitive and his commentary style is a lacking in originality. But I do still love the way he’s so clearly a massive Blues fan and can’t help it bias what he tells the listeners.

Glenn Speller is excellent though as is Paul Clark. I think I prefer these two in tandem but Alliker obviously commentates with Clark more often.

Hear hear, being an exile they are a massive part of the matchday experience for me. a few times last year i had to listen to away commentary, was abysmal.

I think I gained a new appreciation for how good BBC Essex' commentary is when forced to listen to some of the away commentaries on iFollow. There were a few exceptions, but mostly these were terrible . I know they weren't all local radio, but even some that were, were much poorer than BBC Essex

I like that they obviously care a lot about the team, but keep it broadly balanced and respectful of the opposition too (Forest Green might learn a thing or two from this!) and their all round knowledge of both the club and lower league football in general is excellent (or well-researched at least). It is possible to be both biased and somewhat objective at the same time. Clarky in particular likes to "say it how it is"!

Local radio will probably be one of the first on the chopping block, awful lot of retrenchment went on several years ago, lot of campaigning went into saving what we've got. Out of peak hours the local stations carry regionalised or national programmes, presenters had shows lengthened so not so many needed, news staff and news collection at local level massively reduced.
Equally applies to regional television, about 14 months ago crew came down from Norwich to do an interview their next stop was Lowestoft... When I asked them if another crew wouldn't cover that they laughed and said that, basically, they were the Eastern Region crew.

That is pretty common across all local media, ask Chris Philips how many staff on the sports section of the Echo these days...

All very good as long as Victoria Polley stays as anchor. Every single time she does reports it is …. …. Back of the net…. back of the net… Back of the net… does me in.

Back