• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimp Curry

Youth Team
Anyone else think its awful? Very little description of what is going on, you never know where the ball is or which team has it and every now and then you get goals from nothing due to the lack of any descriptive build up.I'm my opinion the main problem is that they spend far to long talking about the players rather than the game itself.Have been doing a fair bit of driving lately so been listening to games on BBC local stations and every one of them is far superior to ours.

I agree so so But

We are talking about a local radio Station with a small Budget here and I for one am thankful that they cover ALL Southend games home and away the game THATS is important no flashy build up etc

Also Paul Clark in-depth knowledge of the game is next to none... Also the Blokes a Southend United legend and I love listening

Thank you BBC ESSEX I say ... f8c0k of HEART FM big-time .. no sports news at all... stick your martin gay show where the sun does not shine

Byeeeeee

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX !!

Have to agree with WS here.

Although it drove me to borderline depression last night. I am glad they do it. If they didn't you can bet a lot of money that no other local station would bother to do so.

Of course it could be a lot better. But for those that cannot make many away games, it is the best way to keep in touch with the going's on.

Sorry Shrimp Curry, have to agree with the other responses here.

I don't want just a commentary on the football itself - I really appreciate the local knowledge and passion that Nik Alliker, Chris Phillips etc have, and agree about the comments regarding Paul Clark. I've always though there should have been some sort of position for him at Roots Hall somewhere.

Have to agree with the majority here, it's great just Allikers half time chats either to the station or others in the press box

On the whole its fine but i know they have a Col Ewe fan (not the Geordie) whose name escapes me but is awful, without researching is it Ben Fryer or Glenn Speller ?? .. and someone called Bavidge or the like, who usually does a non league game but is sometimes lumbered on us, he describes the game like reading the phone book

Nick Alliker is fine and Paul Clark and Chris Phillips are excellent summarisers to me

I think it's Speller that's the Col U fan. Whenever I hear Mark Babbage I expect him to start reeling off a list of the latest trains he's spotted....

Who was the guy commentating yesterday alongside Nik Alliker, because it deffinately wasn't Chris Phillips? He nearly made me slit my own throat?

It'll do for a league 2 side.. i'll be listening in on Saturday

mattytheshrimper said:
Who was the guy commentating yesterday alongside Nik Alliker, because it deffinately wasn't Chris Phillips? He nearly made me slit my own throat?
SUFC Legend Paul Clark...

Jeez you need to learn your SUFC history boy :stunned:

Oh and hopefully he's doing it Saturday if you want to make good on your threat

On the whole its fine but i know they have a Col Ewe fan (not the Geordie) whose name escapes me but is awful, without researching is it Ben Fryer or Glenn Speller ?? .. and someone called Bavidge or the like, who usually does a non league game but is sometimes lumbered on us, he describes the game like reading the phone book

Nick Alliker is fine and Paul Clark and Chris Phillips are excellent summarisers to me

Yep, good to have Alliker back and alongside Clark and Phillips is fine. Couldn't take much more of the bloke who stood in for him, it wasn't the excellent Glenn Speller, think it was Ben Fryer!

Yep, good to have Alliker back and alongside Clark and Phillips is fine. Couldn't take much more of the bloke who stood in for him, it wasn't the excellent Glenn Speller, think it was Ben Fryer!

ah wiggy you nearly got me agreeing with you then, until this little gem sneaked in :raspberry:

Jeez you need to learn your SUFC history boy :stunned:

Oh and hopefully he's doing it Saturday if you want to make good on your threat

Opps. How could i tell it was him by his voice? I have said elsewhere I only managed to catch the 2nd half commentary so I didn't hear any names mentioned.

He did come across really moody though I thought.

Opps. How could i tell it was him by his voice? I have said elsewhere I only managed to catch the 2nd half commentary so I didn't hear any names mentioned.

He did come across really moody though I thought.

Hmm.. ok so maybe i'll let you off as the game was so dreadfully dull he probably wanted to slit his own throat :smile:

Paul Clark is just so good at analyzing the game - always adds so much more to the commentary

ah wiggy you nearly got me agreeing with you then, until this little gem sneaked in :raspberry:
Very professional Glen Speller. Think he is a Col u fan, so what, if anything you'd think he is more interested in us!

Don't get me wrong I think there are some aspects that are good its just the actual descriptive commentary that I think is really poor, you never really know what's going on and all of a sudden there is a goal when the last you knew the ball was out for a throw on down the other end of the pitch!

If the game's **** they can't exactly make it any better can they. Agree with most, I value and enjoy the bbc essex commentary, I've also liked Adrian Clarke's contributions this season.

Back