• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question be honest who else needs to go?

And is Ron against Duncan selling players before they've played a match for us? It's no secret Ron has cash flow issues every so often, whose to say Ron isn't telling Duncan that we need to sell some kids to make ends meet?
Whether he is or is not it stinks at both ends and from what I heard from various sources we are not just talking small kick backs either, for me I think just just incentivises to ship them out ASAP and lords knows we have missed out on some decent players because of this.
For me I would like Duncan gone, clear the decks

Last edited by a moderator:
Per haps our Director of Football if still part of the set up should be welcomed to the next club Zoom meeting to put things straight especially if the alleged implications on here are that there is any form of inappropriate bung

Not that long ago Ricky was everyone's hero

Id like to know the precise nature of the role within our club

Who actually determined the signings of Coulson, Dunne, Ogogo, Atkinson. Was it Phils idea and plan through his old mates notebook and was blindly sanctioned by Ron or others?

How was all that allowed to happen? Was there no challenging the plan to pack us with shall we say kindly experienced players, believing that would seriously work, You only need do half a days research on this league to work out it never would !

Yup I suspect Stan will want Tilly in a head of recruitment role to replace anton Robinson. Maybe part time and combine with his role at Heybridge.
That might be tricky if he needs to go and watch a player and he's also got a heybridge match on. Not sure the 2 roles are compatible

And is Ron against Duncan selling players before they've played a match for us? It's no secret Ron has cash flow issues every so often, whose to say Ron isn't telling Duncan that we need to sell some kids to make ends meet?
Could also be the case that the player wants to move as well. I'd imagine given the choice of Southend academy or a premiership academy, most would be off.

From what people have said - and not sure any of this is confirmed - but seems the problem is selling of players before they are ready. Just rushing them through and touting them to clubs, rather than developing them for us to play in the first team - after a number of appearances would be worth more than the couple of 10ks and Duncan’s kickback.

Was quite striking last night to hear Glenn Speller talk about this quite candidly. Go back and listen if you can - but was surprising to hear a presenter on the radio give such a personal opinion. He cited the way Colchester have brought through players like Szmodics to make a good number of first team appearances and then sold on, so Col U got both benefits rather than just hocked off asap to a prem club to stick in their academy.

We've managed to sell a fair amount of youth players to Premier League clubs and Championship clubs. Are you saying that Duncan has been offering them out and trying to sell them instead of trying to keep them at the club? (Genuine question as I'm sure we all want to know the truth).

If a Premier League club has been scouting our under 14s or whatever and they decide they want to sign a player, then there isn't much we can do. However, if we are inviting them down and sending them reports (like an agent would do), then that is a different story.

Where can you listen to what Glenn Speller said?

According to the OS (ironically not the most reliable), Ricky Duncan is down as Academy Manager and Director of Football for the first team. Also, I thought that in the DoF role he was responsible for meeting with players and agent to discuss deals and no necessarily the one to scout and select transfer targets (probably the job of our Head of Recruitment). Based on our signings, most seem to be ex-Phil Brown players. Would be interesting to ask who was responsible for scouting and selecting the signings we made and who we missed out on.

Ricky Duncan needs to be relieved of his duties in the DOF role. Nothing against the guy, but I don't think he understands the modern game or footballer. I think he has unwittingly stepped into the firing line with other senior figures at the club, but I did think it was a bizarre appointment at the time.

I want the same as Stan, that being the guts of the club ripped out. There is nothing good about this club right now.... nothing... Not one member of this club is doing a good job, and what's more, everything is utterly rotten and stinks. Keep the players who show promise, sack or release all the "senior players" who have contributed along the way.

Whatever happens, please get rid of Demetriou!

I agree that Ricky and Anton need to go. Beyond that I wouldn’t get rid of anyone. That’s entirely down to the manager to decide once he arrives (assuming it’s not a she) and decides what he wants. Some of the players are on long term deals and frankly any spare cash this year should be spring bringing in new rather than paying off deals.

We have a decent youth system being run by good people. To bring Duncan back into that would be disruptive and wrong to those people. Duncan has had his time He took on the DOF role and has failed miserably needs to go along with A Robinson and the scouting staff and be replaced by a new team.. Seriously there must be some decent talent playing in the lower leagues is Essex,and our scouts are yet to identify any.
I’m sure there are, but you need the ideal type of scouts to bring them in. My lad played all his youth football in north Essex and I don’t remember many if any professional clubs coming to games and I actually wrote to Colchester when he moved to the area, having been on Port Vale’s books.

We've managed to sell a fair amount of youth players to Premier League clubs and Championship clubs. Are you saying that Duncan has been offering them out and trying to sell them instead of trying to keep them at the club? (Genuine question as I'm sure we all want to know the truth).

If a Premier League club has been scouting our under 14s or whatever and they decide they want to sign a player, then there isn't much we can do. However, if we are inviting them down and sending them reports (like an agent would do), then that is a different story.

Where can you listen to what Glenn Speller said?

According to the OS (ironically not the most reliable), Ricky Duncan is down as Academy Manager and Director of Football for the first team. Also, I thought that in the DoF role he was responsible for meeting with players and agent to discuss deals and no necessarily the one to scout and select transfer targets (probably the job of our Head of Recruitment). Based on our signings, most seem to be ex-Phil Brown players. Would be interesting to ask who was responsible for scouting and selecting the signings we made and who we missed out on.
That has been what has been intermated on here AND what Speller was dancing around too - which made it quite so surprising to hear him bring it up.

Utter bull.
They aren't good Kay, and have been senior pro's as we've crashed down the league, arguably under White's captainship.

Whatever you think of their historic ability and past commitment to SUFC, they both absolutely should have gone in the summer and nothing either have done this season has changed my mind anyways - especially Demi who has been awful. White is injured more than not which again, is pretty standard.

Sorry, i know you are big fans (of White in particular) but we shouldnt have stood on sentiment.

I'd chuck Duncan back into his youth role alone, which no connection for anything to with the first team or big decisions in the club.

I know they are not performing this season but The Bluebelles should be retired for good and replaced with half time careers talks by scientists and human rights lawyers aimed at young people.
Fair point, they could hold seminars on the pitch.
The bloke that needs to go is the maintainer of the car park, what a mess, and as for the organiser of the market, heck it is non existent.

I think in an ideal world you could add Duncan and Robinson to the list with Brown and Fagan. And I’d also ship a lot of the players out who just haven’t shown they’re good enough.

But the chances of us paying up contracts 10 games into a season is pretty slim. I think the new manager is stuck with this squad, with maybe the option of adding two or three. Just hope we haven’t handed out silly contracts again.

Back