• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question be honest who else needs to go?

They aren't good Kay, and have been senior pro's as we've crashed down the league, arguably under White's captainship.

Whatever you think of their historic ability and past commitment to SUFC, they both absolutely should have gone in the summer and nothing either have done this season has changed my mind anyways - especially Demi who has been awful. White is injured more than not which again, is pretty standard.

Sorry, i know you are big fans (of White in particular) but we shouldnt have stood on sentiment.
This is a very different message than 'not fit to wear the shirt' though, which I think is the point that OBL objected to. Both have been long serving and at one time successful members of the club and have proven they are committed, a trait that is often lauded on this site.

If they were here as back up or being brought off the bench to shore things up I still think they have something to offer the club. 1st of all, we need replacements that perform better than them, and those we d not currently have.

We should be aiming for stability and consolidation. We are quite lucky in that few of our present squad are contracted to beyond the end of this season. However, we cannot afford any wholesale releases as not only we would have to pay these players off but we would also need to spend to replace them.
The priority of the new manager must be to find enough from the present squad to be able to avoid relegation. Last week, Phil was not given the chance to add to the squad, and, hopefully, this means the new man will have the means to make two or three early signings.
That, and the players we already possess should be sufficient for us to avoid relegation.
Stability means no immediate wholesale cleanouts and replacements.
Consolidation is avoiding relegation, and, seeing the new manager going into the close season still secure in his post with the time and budget to begin rebuilding the team in his image, Hopefully, by then, some of the players now with us will have staked a solid claim to be included in the new manager's plans.
What we have to avoid is that come Easter we find we are looking for yet another manager.

From what people have said - and not sure any of this is confirmed - but seems the problem is selling of players before they are ready. Just rushing them through and touting them to clubs, rather than developing them for us to play in the first team - after a number of appearances would be worth more than the couple of 10ks and Duncan’s kickback.

Was quite striking last night to hear Glenn Speller talk about this quite candidly. Go back and listen if you can - but was surprising to hear a presenter on the radio give such a personal opinion. He cited the way Colchester have brought through players like Szmodics to make a good number of first team appearances and then sold on, so Col U got both benefits rather than just hocked off asap to a prem club to stick in their academy.
Wouldn’t it also be more lucrative for Duncan if he waited for them to play for our first team and we got a bigger fee for them?

Wouldn’t it also be more lucrative for Duncan if he waited for them to play for our first team and we got a bigger fee for them?
Absolutely, but also a longer wait for any potential payout though - and/or the risk of the player not actually making it and falling by the wayside.

Anyways, I know literally ZERO about this, just regurgitating information others have posted! Sounds feasible though.

Maybe we should buck the trend and start offering contracts that are more like real world contracts?

Ie, if your crap at your job you get sacked, no paying off the rest of your contract....

I think in an ideal world you could add Duncan and Robinson to the list with Brown and Fagan. And I’d also ship a lot of the players out who just haven’t shown they’re good enough.

But the chances of us paying up contracts 10 games into a season is pretty slim. I think the new manager is stuck with this squad, with maybe the option of adding two or three. Just hope we haven’t handed out silly contracts again.
I agree thats a problem now thanks to Brown and the recruitment team. We could cut poor old Atko loose as only on a 5 month contract and nearly half way through it, which would throw up a spot and a bit of cash

I assume we are continuing to support ANG financially given the problems mentioned, although Im never sure how insurance works in certain circumstances, and personally would like to see Akinola retained in the squad, which would almost feel like an addition, given he had been frozen out by Phil

Then we have to think more carefully about Dennis, Kargbo and Kimpioka around our planning for what sort of team we are going to be

If we were able to bring in a few more peeky blinders then the trouble is we would have a number of older matures sitting in the stands, effectively this year making our squad smaller unless a better chance for the likes of Phillips, Gard, Rush and Kinola

I’m sure there are, but you need the ideal type of scouts to bring them in. My lad played all his youth football in north Essex and I don’t remember many if any professional clubs coming to games and I actually wrote to Colchester when he moved to the area, having been on Port Vale’s books.

Sorry, I failed to mention that he’s scored one more goal than Southend in total this season, from one less game.

I’m sure there are, but you need the ideal type of scouts to bring them in. My lad played all his youth football in north Essex and I don’t remember many if any professional clubs coming to games and I actually wrote to Colchester when he moved to the area, having been on Port Vale’s books.
No father should ever have to do that

This is a very different message than 'not fit to wear the shirt' though, which I think is the point that OBL objected to. Both have been long serving and at one time successful members of the club and have proven they are committed, a trait that is often lauded on this site.

If they were here as back up or being brought off the bench to shore things up I still think they have something to offer the club. 1st of all, we need replacements that perform better than them, and those we d not currently have.
That is highly debatable in the case of Mr D!!

Is it possible that Ron also gets a kick back so Ricky is merely doing his bidding ? Genuine question.
But if Ron does get a kickback he will have to re-invest in the club anyway as we are losing money.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Demitriou isn't great (mainly because his legs have gone) but that's something that could be said of most of the squad.
Huge exaggeration, from Saturday outfielders Ralph, Hobson, Sayers, Ferguson, Bridge, loanees, Murphy, Dalby, Eggers all looked to have plenty of legs. Dunne was never fast but made the full, 119? minutes ?
Demi is not as he was, age and injury have taken a toll, he tries, BUT him,Atko, JW and Josh C ought only to be emergency cover.

Ricky Duncan has come in for criticism and has been suggested should also be sacked along with Robinson. Robinson I can understand as frankly generally recruitment has been poor.Not sure if Ron would agree with the sacking of Duncan but I guess it could fall under Tom's remit.
Usually when the manager is sacked Duncan is put in a caretaker role but we haven't had that announcement this time

Ricky Duncan has come in for criticism and has been suggested should also be sacked along with Robinson. Robinson I can understand as frankly generally recruitment has been poor.Not sure if Ron would agree with the sacking of Duncan but I guess it could fall under Tom's remit.
Usually when the manager is sacked Duncan is put in a caretaker role but we haven't had that announcement this time

Gone.

For me Brown and Fagan has to be just the start

Anton Robinson
Ricky Duncan
Jason Demetriou
John White
Josh Coulson
Will Atkinson
Hamzad Kargbo
Matt Dennis
Joe Dunne
Terrill Egbri

I would be looking at replacing all of these
Probably 90% of the fans groups aswell?? seem to get more every week.

That is highly debatable in the case of Mr D!!
I was honestly a little surprised that RB wasnt an area that was strengthened in the summer (Or at least talked about more)

I havent seen too much of Howard to give much of opinion n him but successive managers havent given him much of a look in so I can only assume he isnt yet ready to properly challenge JD.

Who else is at the club currently that should be challenging for a RB position?

Back