• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bed Advice

pickledseal

cowboy
Just buying my first bed - always lived somewhere which provided one (either rented places or my parents!) - and now find myself in this great expansive market!

Ideally can't spend much more than £300 all up, and going for pine framed jobby.

Any things I should check? Look out for?

Thinking for value it may have to be ebay but a bit aprehensive about not trying out mattress!

Any help or advice, as always, very gratefully received!

My advice would be that the mattress is far more important than the bed and so you should not be afraid to spend more on that than the bed frame itself.

Just buying my first bed - always lived somewhere which provided one (either rented places or my parents!) - and now find myself in this great expansive market!

Ideally can't spend much more than £300 all up, and going for pine framed jobby.

Any things I should check? Look out for?

Thinking for value it may have to be ebay but a bit aprehensive about not trying out mattress!

Any help or advice, as always, very gratefully received!

I have a Pine Double Bed (frame only) for sale, PM sent.

Ikea is your friend, should be able to get a decent wooden frame and foam mattress for under 300quid. go up there and test some mattresses out (within reason!)

careful not to get a mattress which is too soft. might seem comfortable at first but can cause back problems in the long run. i've got a plank of wood under my mattress to firm it up.

One word of warning about Ikea mattresses - they are all "Ikea-sized", i.e. in random dimensions made only by Ikea; so standard-sized sheets, duvets etc. don't fit them, and you end up having to get your bed linen from Ikea too.

:) Thanks guys

Actually went to Ikea and wasn't too impressed actually. Maybe I want my furniture to be a bit more simplisitc and traditional than what they offer! The one 'cheap' bed looked like it wouldn't survive me sitting on it!

I'm ready for a little banging and self assembly thanks scott ;)

One word of warning about Ikea mattresses - they are all "Ikea-sized", i.e. in random dimensions made only by Ikea; so standard-sized sheets, duvets etc. don't fit them, and you end up having to get your bed linen from Ikea too.

Yeah, I echo that...

In my place at the moment we've all got these Ikea sized Mattresses. They're not Double, they're not King and they're not Queen... You have to wrestle with the damn thing to get a Queen sized sheet on it.

good point.

careful not to get a mattress which is too soft. might seem comfortable at first but can cause back problems in the long run. i've got a plank of wood under my mattress to firm it up.

That's true. My back aches most mornings now when I get up! I'm blaming the mattress not the position I sleep in!

I bought a new bed recently, and the problem I've had with the mattress is that it's too hard. I foolishly went for the hardest type, an orthopaedic bed grade 1, thinking that it would be good for my back. But I actually find that much like Vange Shrimper I also get back aches when I wake up. I'm actually seriously considering flogging the mattress on ebay and buying a new one.

So, I think the best advice I can give you is don't buy a mattress that's too soft or too hard. Do try them out in the shop. I did, but only lying on my back. I do tend to sleep on my side, and this now often gives me an achy shoulder when I do this on my hard mattress. I felt too silly turning on to my side in the shop, but I won't any more!

So make sure you adopt all of your nighttime positions when in the shop to choose the most comfortable mattress and don't worry about the funny looks you'll get - you might find that other people start doing the same!

And I have to disagree with Uxbridge - I bought my bed (and a new mattress for the spare room) at Dreams, and was very happy with them. They had a good choice and the staff were helpful and friendly. I bought the beds at the end of December but told the guy in the shop I wanted them delivered in February. He said that was no problem. At the beginning of January, I got a phone message from the warehouse saying they were ready and would be delivered the following week. I just phoned them up the next day and arranged the exact delivery date in February I wanted and that's when the beds came.

I shall definitely go back to Dreams for the next mattress. I just hope the sale that they had on in December and have since been advertising every week as "about to end" will still be on when I decide to go down there in a couple of months' time. I'm sure it will be.

We've got one of those memory foam matteress' (not the memory foam topper). For us, it's been very good.

Notice Tempur are doing a 60 day trial http://www.tempur.co.uk/

Plenty of places on the web are doing it cheaper than named brands (such as Sealey and Tempur). Pricketts of Leigh do them.

Back