• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Been flashed by a speed camera?

It is an outdated law on speed limits,the braking distances have changed dramatically.I am sorry to hear of someone you know being hurt badly by someone driving too fast,were they crossing the road?Would their injuries been any less if they were travelling at 33 miles per hour rather than 36? If they were travelling at 60 mph i could see your point.

Apparently yes. Even small increases apparently make a huge difference to the amount of damage you can do:

Rospa

Between 30 and 40mph, the risk of a pedestrian being fatally injured when hit by a car increases significantly. A pedestrian who is hit at 40mph is between three-and-a-half to five-and-a-half times more likely to be killed than a pedestrian who is hit at 30mph.

The reason is that kinetic energy is proportional to speed squared.

Double the speed and you quadruple the kinetic energy.

Indeed you do...although I had forgotten that. Haven't done physics since A Level.

I would like to see steering with one knee while putting your seatbelt on and trying to find 5 live on the radio introduced as part of the test.

My dad would fail that. He doesn't bother keeping a knee on the driving wheel.

Do you think it should be rolled out as part of the driving test FBM?

It certainly increases awareness of the dangers but as most people pass their test when they are 17 or 18I dont think it will have much effect.

unfortunatley i hear you can get lumbered with the same kind of idiots on Jury Duty as well

The police up here seem to be operating a very common sense approach. There are hundreds of miles of fast roads across the uninhabited bits on which they could reap a good harvest of speeding drivers, but they concentrate instead on areas with pedestrians (e.g. viewpoints) and in and around the towns, which I really can't argue with.

Back