• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Been to Dagenham today!!!

Leyton Wingate were not part of it

The other team you may be thinking of was Redbridge Forest, who were the team Dagenham joined up with to make D&R.

Redbridge Forest were Leytonstone , Ilford and Walthamstow Avenue

Indeed. As I said earlier:

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1157644&postcount=17

If you would like the potted history of Leyton FC, Wingate FC, Leyton Wingate FC, Walthamstow Pennant FC, Leyton Pennant FC and, of course, Waltham Forest FC that can be arranged but there's a lot of it and it goes back a long way.

Certainly sir, personally if I was a Daggers fan I would be a bit worried about scoring 6 in the first leg, they are bound to mess it up at Wembley.
It doesn't make us tinnier but it does make us in a lower league!

Good luck to them, they are living the dream, it probably won't last long.

Rotherham will be the ones to go up though!

Think you might be right on the Rothers theory,hope so, we need some local games next season.

Top post.

Tilly and the scouts really need to pull their finger out and quick, to identify some decent quality in the non league scene. It is there, you just need to move hell and earth to find it.

Just for once I would like to see us bloody organised and have a semi-decent squad ready to report for training on day 1. It is no good players coming in at the end of July or start of August. They need a good 4-6 weeks at least to gel and get to know their new team mates.

Here's hoping some money is available and the scouts do their job properly. 5 or 6 players signed up by the start of July would be ideal. Although I don't think we have a chance in hell of that happening....
Cant we just buy the whole Daggers team and hope they do it again next season for us. Seriously though I feel a real conflict of emotions with their current good fortunes. One half of me would love them to do well at wembley and if I was to go I wouldn't have a problem cheering them on...but the other half wants them to stay down so we at least have one local derby to look forward to next season other than the Gills.

Cant we just buy the whole Daggers team and hope they do it again next season for us. Seriously though I feel a real conflict of emotions with their current good fortunes. One half of me would love them to do well at wembley and if I was to go I wouldn't have a problem cheering them on...but the other half wants them to stay down so we at least have one local derby to look forward to next season other than the Gills.

Erm no actually because we have no money, and if dagenham go up this season then we are not just in the bottom league but the bottom team in essex.

Its a sorry state but thats the way it is.

If we haven't identified them by now it's too late. Where are Tilly and the scouts going to go to run the rule over these players after the end of a season? Don't expect us to have the full squad together much before 10 days before the start of the season, and that's assuming we are planning for a full squad at all. Loanees won't materialise / be confirmed until the end of August (clubs other than Southend don't release loan players until their squads are settled), by which time we could be floundering in the initial stages of the season with inexperienced players under tremendous pressure to bounce straight back up.

Regretfully, i fear this quote will turn out to be factual.

If we haven't identified them by now it's too late. Where are Tilly and the scouts going to go to run the rule over these players after the end of a season? Don't expect us to have the full squad together much before 10 days before the start of the season, and that's assuming we are planning for a full squad at all. Loanees won't materialise / be confirmed until the end of August (clubs other than Southend don't release loan players until their squads are settled), by which time we could be floundering in the initial stages of the season with inexperienced players under tremendous pressure to bounce straight back up.

I agree that non-league is probably the best place to look for now; players who are used to professional wages / arrangements won't be attracted by our recent track record. Non-league players who are less experienced of a league / professional club setup may be more willing to give us a go.

In general I'm sure we'll be safe; I'm not daring to hope for any more than that.

Spot on. I predict a summer of empty promises and predictable near misses in the transfer market. If we had a decent budget and a good name in the market, I'd fancy us to do quite well next season.

All this talk about mixing physicality with technique is well and good but somewhat difficult if you don't have the players in terms of numbers or ability. I think we will struggle next year in what is a very tough league against teams with relatively settled squads; a marked contrast to our situation. This, coupled with the fact that we'll be a relatively big team in the division and therefore a big draw also leads me to fear that our abysmal away record will continue long into the season.

Some of the optimism in terms of potential signings and our status in general is a farce I'm afraid...

Back