• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Before we all get too excited (more stats)

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Our record against top half opposition goes...

P4 W0 D0 L4 F5 A11 (eleven!)

I've still not quite worked out whether this is against teams currently in the top half or top half at the time but top half now would mean Orient, Leeds, Tranmere and Brighton (just).

Rather re-enforces the point that whilst the defence looks to have improved, it may equally be th at we are flat-track bullies in this division and struggle against more wily attacks. Saturday should be a good test for this theory.

It's against teams in the top half when we played them.
Therefore I'm guessing that record includes losing to Orient on Day1 (alphabetical table!)

For the record, Carlisle would have an identical record (excluding goals) but for one solitary draw from their four games.

Predictably, with the respective teams' league positions, we're better than anyone against bottom half teams (7:1:0) and Carlisle are second in that chart (6:2:0).

Battle of the bullies on Saturday then - could see a lot of goals.

Good point, this is exactly what I was saying to my mate at the Tranmere game. It may well be because at the start of the season most of the teams you beat will end up being in the bottom half, but whatever the reason, we do appear to have had a run of games against teams towards the bottom, which has helped give us our good run. We've therefore not had that many tests - the last major one was Tranny, and we failed that one. So, Carlisle will be a proper test, let's hope we can rise to it this time and prove our worth...

Interestingly, last season we went down almost certainly because of our dismal record against the poor teams down at the bottom with us.

The more I look around, the more I see we're almost identical to Carlisle. Along with Leeds (7 times), we are the only teams in the division who have won every game in which they have kept a clean sheet (5 times) and we have both scored exactly 10 goals in these games.

Lsat point (promise) is that Carlisle are the best team in the division on first half performance so we'd best be ready from the off.

Last season we were good against the top teams and rather diobolical against the lower teams. Completely oppersite this season then.

Interesting.

but why ?

Last season we were good against the top teams and rather diobolical against the lower teams. Completely oppersite this season then.

Interesting.

but why ?

Some might say because we have no bottle and point to our stuttering form when:

a) we were top of League Two
b) we were top of League One last time
c) when we managed to get our head above water, so to speak, in the Championship last season

We certainly don't seem great at seeing things through.

Surely what this really means is that we haven't had a 0-0 draw? After all, how many teams have lost a game in which they have kept a clean sheet...?

:confused:

Yep.

:D

I should also point out that in my haste to write that, I lied - loadsof teams have 100% records with a clean sheet. Sorry.

Our record against top half opposition goes...

P4 W0 D0 L4 F5 A11 (eleven!)

I've still not quite worked out whether this is against teams currently in the top half or top half at the time but top half now would mean Orient, Leeds, Tranmere and Brighton (just).

Rather re-enforces the point that whilst the defence looks to have improved, it may equally be th at we are flat-track bullies in this division and struggle against more wily attacks. Saturday should be a good test for this theory.

I would not look to much into this, as those games where before we got started, especially Orient, Leeds and Brighton. Lets just see what happens on saturday

I would not look to much into this, as those games where before we got started, especially Orient, Leeds and Brighton. Lets just see what happens on saturday

The flipside argument is that we only got started against bad teams. As you say, Saturday will be a big indicator of what we can expect for the season.

I'm really looking forward to it actually.

I think you'll find that the stats are for the league table at present i.e we've palyed 4 sides that are presently in the top-half and have lost them all, whilst winning 7 out of 8 against sides presently in the bottom half.

But three of those defeats came in the first four games so that stat is slightly skewed if you ask me.

And also because I'd argue that we were the better side in at least two, possibly three, of those games. If McCormack hadn't have been wrongly sent off and had we have been able to deal with a few tame crosses at the end of the Withdene we would have had six hard-earned points more.

And also because I'd argue that we were the better side in at least two, possibly three, of those games. If McCormack hadn't have been wrongly sent off and had we have been able to deal with a few tame crosses at the end of the Withdene we would have had six hard-earned points more.

Very true sir, there's lies, damned lies and statistics!

Interesting.

but why ?

You may only be able to say this when the season is at least 75% old. Stats at this stage of the season do not mean a lot

Back