• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Behind Closed Doors Refwatch Morecambe (H)

Mick

Life President
Rarely, if ever, have we hosted a team in such a poor vein of form; last two matches – scored none, conceded 12 and both at home.

Rarely, if ever, have we hosted a team we have such a poor record against in all time head to head League matches. One point from 30 on offer and that only occurred thanks to a late own goal after they’d been reduced to 10 men in 2011.

Just to please our younger fans we are being sent Fireman Sam.

The referee for this match will be one of the new first year referees and therefore paying his first visit to Roots Hall as a referee and refereeing his first Southend match.

It will be Sam Allison, fire-fighter and former Chippenham and Frome non-league player from Chippenham. He is the only black referee to have made the League list for decades, but that probably says more about the system and the ageing assessors. The last black referee to officiate at the Hall was Uriah Rennie – that went rather well that night !

He is also the cousin of former Jamaica midfielder Fitzroy Simpson, who had spells at Swindon Town, Manchester City and Portsmouth.

He finished his last season in non-league early – just like everyone else - and his 15 matches produced 49 yellow cards and two reds. This season his two games at League level, at Exeter and Port Vale, saw just 3 yellows.

Assisting Sam Allison will be Matthew Lee from Chichester and Geoffrey Russell from Rushden. Completing the team will be Fourth Official Stephen Brown from Ashford (Kent).

oh no .... another route into RH blocked .

I was planning on turning up with a whistle on prominent display -

mind you - some lino flags and an arrogant wave might do it

Strange ... you and the EFL website reckon Sam Allison is in charge. The SUFC website says Charles Breakspear. Now, who's my money on I wonder?

Strange ... you and the EFL website reckon Sam Allison is in charge. The SUFC website says Charles Breakspear. Now, who's my money on I wonder?

I wouldn't be so sure.

Breakspear, unusually, didn't have an appointment on the original list and would therefore be a most likely replacement if Allison wasn't available for some reason.

Buy one, get one free.

A second refwatch due to the change from the original appointment.

Saturday’s man in charge will be the familiar figure of Charles Breakspear from Walton-on-Thames, a shaven headed clone whose game, in my opinion, rarely rises above adequate.

He has refereed fifteen Southend matches previously and in the first two he sent off an opposing player. Sadly we only got a defeat and a draw (and subsequent penalty shoot-out defeat) to show for our numerical advantages. The next thirteen we did somewhat better picking up six wins and four draws and a good number of cards !

He is in his eighth season as a League referee and, for me, he falls into the "lucky to still be there" category. He has had a high card count throughout his League career and last season he was the leader in the red card stakes with 12 from his first 24 games. He finished with 140 yellows and 12 reds from 32 matches. After his first two matches of this season he had already matched Sam Allison's total reds for all of last season

Those previous matches were, firstly, our 3-1 home defeat to Morecambe in 2013/14. Their sub got a red just 7 minutes after coming on and there was a yellow apiece (Timlin for us) and in 2014/15 he presided over the JPT match at Wimbledon where unusually all four cards (3 yellows and a red) went to the home team.

His next Southend match was his unconvincing performance in 2014/15's 0-0 home draw with Burton - a yellow for Prosser and three of theirs. This match came at the beginning of that dire run of 6 hours football without a goal from either team at Roots Hall.

This was followed by 2015/16 home match against Barnsley which we won 2-1. We also won the bookings 4-2 (Bentley, White, Wordsworth and Piggott) and he gave them a penalty.

Then comes his appearance, as a late and wholly inadequate replacement, at home to Crewe in the same season. This match we drew 1-1 and we smashed them on bookings 5-1 (Coker, Bolger, Wordsworth, Barnett and Worrall). He gave us not one but two penalties. Barnett missed his but Jack Payne put his away for a stoppage time equalizer.

A more recent Southend match was the comfortable 3-0 win at MK Dons early 2016/17 when his performance did not attract any adverse criticism (other than his again rather haphazard measuring of defensive wall distances!). A caution for Coker and three of theirs.

Next, in the same season, were the two attempts to get the Bolton match played. His performance in the eventual game was unimpressive with Ranger and a couple of theirs cautioned.

Then, in 2017/18, the 3-3 draw at Gillingham, plenty of goals but even more cards with our 4 going to Demetriou, Hendrie, Timlin and Robinson. They only managed 3.

Then in the same season he refereed our 2-0 win over Oldham to his usual unsatisfactory standard. Demetriou, McLaughlin and one of theirs picked up yellows.

Next, and still in 2017/18, the match at home to Walsall last March when the efforts to clear the pitch of snow were rewarded with an abject performance from the team and a 3-0 defeat, all goals to Oztumer. This was not a hard game to referee and his performance was probably the best I've seen from him - damned with faint praise maybe. A card apiece; ours to Yearwood.

An early match in 2018/19 followed - the 1-0 home victory over Fleetwood. Standard Breakspear fare – a red card (to them), plenty of yellows and a lot of baffling and inconsistent decisions. Our yellow went to Cox.

Then, a couple of months later, he refereed our 6-2 away victory over Crawley in a Cup replay. More goals than cards for once, our two yellows going to Bunn and Hyam. They got four.

Next was our home defeat against Accrington earlier this season which saw a red card for Ralph along with yellows for a couple of theirs.

Then one of our better results, the 2-2 home draw with League leaders Rotherham. Plenty of cards – Goodship for us and 5 for them.

Finally and most recently that 2-1 home victory over Lincoln back in February when a late, late Elvis goal gave us the points. Plenty of yellows: Demetriou, Milligan and Phillips for us and a couple for them including Cian Bolger.

I'm assuming the other officials are as per the original appointments.

Buy one, get one free.

A second refwatch due to the change from the original appointment.

I'm assuming the other officials are as per the original appointments.

They are.

Back