• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How would you describe you own SUFC related manic depression?

• frequent episodes of abnormally elevated energy levels, cognition, and mood

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • episodes of abnormally elevated energy levels, cognition, and mood mixed with depressive episodes

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • episodes which can sometimes lead to such psychotic symptoms as delusions and hallucinations

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I have learnt over time to remain rational and balanced whatever SUFC throws at me

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

applelover

Coach
Going by these boards in the last few years i've come to the conclusion that being a fan of SUFC is either a symptom or cause of manic depression. I for one appear to be afflicted.

The wiki describes the symptoms of manic-depression as follows:

'Bipolar disorder or manic–depressive disorder, also referred to as bipolar affective disorder or manic depression, is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a category of mood disorders defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated energy levels, cognition, and mood with or without one or more depressive episodes. The elevated moods are clinically referred to as mania or, if milder, hypomania. Individuals who experience manic episodes also commonly experience depressive episodes, or symptoms, or a mixed state in which features of both mania and depression are present at the same time.[2] These events are usually separated by periods of "normal" mood; but, in some individuals, depression and mania may rapidly alternate, which is known as rapid cycling. Extreme manic episodes can sometimes lead to such psychotic symptoms as delusions and hallucinations.'

How would you describe your own southend united related mental illness? Feel free to vote.

On a serious note I do think that we need to get some perspective on the season so far. I've decided to get back to the tried a tested judge our progress after ten games approach.

Being a Southend fan has something to do with me living near Southend. As with most things in life, there are other people who like things you like, however those people may take things a little more seriously, be a little more passionate about it or just care less.

You may also find that their views differ to yours, they're not wrong, they're not right, unless it's an Oasis fan trying to explain reasons why "Be Here Now" is a good album, then they should be seriously wounded.

Being a Southend fan has something to do with me living near Southend. As with most things in life, there are other people who like things you like, however those people may take things a little more seriously, be a little more passionate about it or just care less.

You may also find that their views differ to yours, they're not wrong, they're not right, unless it's an Oasis fan trying to explain reasons why "Be Here Now" is a good album, then they should be seriously wounded.

I've definately been in the extreme excitement followed by post Burton extreme low category. I'm determined to get through it and keep the faith for the meantime.

when i was younger the blues results would basically set my mood for the week, id sink into despair after losses while being lifted by wins, dont get me wrong i still enjoy a blues victory but a defeat is met with a 'seen it all before shrug sort of thing' thats what makes our few seasons of success, such as the webby era, the freddy/tilly back to backs oh so special. My signature is born of nearly 30 years following the blues, not always good but never boring

when i was younger the blues results would basically set my mood for the week, id sink into despair after losses while being lifted by wins, dont get me wrong i still enjoy a blues victory but a defeat is met with a 'seen it all before shrug sort of thing' thats what makes our few seasons of success, such as the webby era, the freddy/tilly back to backs oh so special. My signature is born of nearly 30 years following the blues, not always good but never boring

Same. Until a few years ago would say my life revolved around SUFC and the thought of missing a game filled me with dread. Nowadays still enjoy going as much but don't really do the aways much as don't want to miss a full day with the kids and then be hung over all day Sunday.

I think it's great social, used to spent all day every saturday with my Dad as a kid which was great abd made us really close, was great for me as a kid for social development and it's great to feel part of something. The fact were pretty crap 90% of the time makes the 10% we are good so much sweeter. I pity Prem glory fans as they don't know what football is about.

When I'm at the ground and we score, I'm in 7th heaven. When we concede, utter despair takes over. I don't manage away games anymore, but if I'm listening on the radio and we score or concede, I still get the same feelings.

I missed Saturdays game due to having to attend a wedding and when someone said to me at the evening do that they reckoned I was gutted not to have gone, I really wasn't. I just said that they lost today and I was glad I wasn't there.

I find that supporting Southend means that you get a lot of sympathy from other fans who support Premier League teams. Nobody argues with you about football because they assume that as we only support Southend we don't know much about football. (Probably true with the current style of hoof ball we are playing).:'(

Back