• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

pickledseal

cowboy
An interesting read, especially considering some of our recent discussion and debates on here. I'm a firm believer in this idea, and thank you Mr Billy Bragg for writing about it in this morning's Telegraph.

-----------
A poll published this week suggested that the English were the least patriotic people in Europe. Only one in 10 of those asked would happily fly the cross of St George. The remaining nine blamed fear of being called racist, and "political correctness", for their reluctance to show any national pride.

Surely, however, these are just excuses. It's not "political correctness" or fear that inhibits our patriotism – it is the dark heart of English nationalism that makes us feel uneasy about flying the flag of St George, the same nationalism espoused by the British National Party.

The BNP has deep roots in the fascist tradition. The party's leader, Nick Griffin, has gone so far as to question the veracity of the Holocaust. May 8 marks the 65th anniversary of our victory over Nazism and I find it hard to believe that the British people would contemplate celebrating that hard-won victory by voting for a party led by a man who is willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Adolf Hitler.

Shortly after the July 7 bombings in 2005, the Telegraph conducted a poll asking people what values they felt best expressed this country. Top of the poll came the right to say what we think, second was our victory over Nazi Germany in 1945 and third was our sense of fairness and tolerance. While the right to free speech is rightly cherished, it can hardly be claimed as belonging to us alone. So the victory over Nazism and the respect for others – enshrined in our belief in fairness and tolerance – are much stronger pointers to why many English people feel unable to express their patriotism.

I can perfectly understand why a people who think that 1940 was our finest hour and believe wholeheartedly in fairness and tolerance should refuse, in the heated debate of an election, to display anything that might give the impression that they support parties of intolerance and fascism. This reluctance to fly the flag today should be taken as a protest against the BNP, not a failure to be patriotic.

In just a few weeks' time, the country will be awash with flags of St George, flown by people supporting an England team that genuinely reflects our multicultural society. Even then, it would probably only take one incident of belligerent nationalism from English football hooligans for those flags to come down again. The English have their pride and are not willing to see it tarnished by intolerance.

So on St George's Day, rather than bemoaning the lack of patriotism, let's instead ask ourselves: why have we been unable to stop our national identity being hijacked by the far-Right? Whither an English civic nationalism?

Part of the problem is undoubtedly a historic blurring of the line between our British and English identities. The Scots and Welsh have the benefit of there being a border between themselves and Westminster, but we English have nothing to help separate ourselves psychologically from our Britishness. We lack many of the attributes of a nation. For example, only one team at the World Cup finals in South Africa doesn't have its own national anthem. The Scots have Flower of Scotland, the Welsh Land of My Fathers, yet we're still using God Save the Queen. It's a lovely tune, but it doesn't mention the name of my country – surely, that's the least you should expect?

England will also be the only nation there that doesn't have its own parliament. This is the anomaly that has really hampered the development of a civic nationalism in this country.

Given the size of England, this issue is more complex than simply creating another assembly along the lines of Holyrood or Cardiff. For those of us living in west Dorset, would an English parliament elected by 50 million people be any more representative than a British parliament elected by 60 million?

Perhaps the answer to the West Dorset Question is to devolve power to regional assemblies. This idea has been rubbished since John Prescott failed to win support for a regional assembly in the North East. However, it was voted down not because people didn't want devolution, but because what they were being offered was just a jumped-up version of the quangos that already administer our regions. Offer people in the South West a regional assembly with the same powers as the Scottish Parliament and they would bite your hand off.

Powerful assemblies in the nine regions of England could address the imbalance between the South-East and the rest of the country, giving people genuine control over their communities. It would also give English politics a clear and distinctive flavour, separate from those of the British parliament in Westminster.

The national identities of our neighbours have flourished under devolution because civic nationalists in Scotland and Wales were able to marginalise the belligerent forces of nationalism in their countries, creating an inclusive sense of belonging that encompassed everyone living within their borders. Until like-minded people here are willing to step forward and reclaim our national pride, then I fear we cannot complain when our fellow citizens appear unwilling to celebrate this, our national day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...eing-patriotic-doesnt-make-you-a-fascist.html
-----
Happy St Georges Day! :D

So blame the BNP?

I blame the Labour government personally. But, that's a debate for the Election forum.

Nothing wrong with being patriotic, patriotism has go a raw deal of late, primarily due to "patriotism" being wheeled out as justification when there are accusations on bigotry

Patriotism is love and devotion to one's country. The word comes from the Greek patris, meaning fatherland.[1] Patriotism, however, has had different meanings over time, and its meaning is highly dependent upon context, geography, and philosophy.

Although patriotism is used in certain vernaculars as a synonym for nationalism, nationalism is not necessarily considered an inherent part of patriotism.[2][3] Among the ancient Greeks, patriotism consisted of notions concerning language, religious traditions, ethics, law, and devotion to the common good, rather than pure identification with a nation-state.[4][5] Scholar J. Peter Euben writes that for the Greek philosopher Socrates, "patriotism does not require one to agree with everything that his country does and would actually promote analytical questioning in a quest to make the country the best it possibly can be."[6]

In the Hindu epic Ramayana, Lord Rama tells Lakshmana Janani Janma Bhoomischa Swargadapi Gariyasi (Mother and Motherland are greater than heaven), which greatly lays the foundation for consciousness of patriotism for Hindus.[7]

During the 18th century Age of Enlightenment, the notion of patriotism continued to be separate from the notion of nationalism. Instead, patriotism was defined as devotion to humanity and beneficence.[2] For example, providing charity, criticizing slavery, and denouncing excessive penal laws were all considered patriotic.[2] In both ancient and modern visions of patriotism, individual responsibility to fellow citizens is an inherent component of patriotism.

Many contemporary notions of patriotism are influenced by 19th century ideas about nationalism. During the 19th century, "being patriotic" became increasingly conflated with nationalism and even jingoism.[2] However, some notions of contemporary patriotism reject nationalism in favour of a more classic version of the idea of patriotism which includes social responsibility.[8]

How about no

another lefty move to keep harping on that st George was not English why don't you go live in rewanda or somewhere as u spend most of your time there!

Steady Scott, we all know St George wasn't English, most Patron Saints are not the nationality of the country, hence their "patronage" to the country

I'm usually with the 'pro Englishness' views on this board, but unless I have completely misunderstood the article, isn't it in line with the view of a lot of 'pro english' on here..... That we should have a greater sense of national pride and identity, and that it is a shame that the St George Cross has been used for more sinister purposes preventing others from feeling comfortable displaying it......?

I'm usually with the 'pro Englishness' views on this board, but unless I have completely misunderstood the article, isn't it in line with the view of a lot of 'pro english' on here..... That we should have a greater sense of national pride and identity, and that it is a shame that the St George Cross has been used for more sinister purposes preventing others from feeling comfortable displaying it......?

Yup and as i think i raised the point th eother day the seperation between Britishness as the English we're the creators of the union and a seperate English indentity.

For a better example look at how Germany coped post war with the ideas of national pride and how they overcame thatand the intertwined horrorof the Nazi image.

So in essence, and mildly ironically, those that want to display their Englishness (and I completely agree that we should, to extent that Id make today a Public Holiday) have to battle (in the loosest sense of the word) to reclaim that right from the extreme right-wing elements that essentially prevent the middle of the road English from displaying patrioticism for fear of negative association......

How about no

another lefty move to keep harping on that st George was not English why don't you go live in rewanda or somewhere as u spend most of your time there!

Is there really any need Scott?

Why do you have make personal comments rather than have decent debate.

If you want to talk about the historical St George I'm willing to do that.

I thought this article was actually more up your street to be honest as it was arguing that we DO need a sense of identity and pride in it (I wonder if you actually read it or saw my name or Billy Braggs name and started getting abusive?!?) and some suggestions like our own individual parliament and national anthem to make us individual and properly English.

A shame this has turned out this way.

So in essence, and mildly ironically, those that want to display their Englishness (and I completely agree that we should, to extent that Id make today a Public Holiday) have to battle (in the loosest sense of the word) to reclaim that right from the extreme right-wing elements that essentially prevent the middle of the road English from displaying patrioticism for fear of negative association......

Sadly yes :( . Id make it a national holiday as well . Feel sorry for those Hindus and Buddishts that had to reclaim their symbol ;)

Is there really any need Scott?

Why do you have make personal comments rather than have decent debate.

If you want to talk about the historical St George I'm willing to do that.

I thought this article was actually more up your street to be honest as it was arguing that we DO need a sense of identity and pride in it (I wonder if you actually read it or saw my name or Billy Braggs name and started getting abusive?!?) and some suggestions like our own individual parliament and national anthem to make us individual and properly English.

A shame this has turned out this way.

I am messing with you mate - each to their own when it comes to politics when it comes to football we are all Southend :)

Glad to hear it mate :)

Indeed we are, Southend till we die!

I, and I suspect Andy, would go back to Ethiopia (not Rwanda) like a shot if the opportunity presented itself.

Luckily, as Andy has already pointed out, their patron saint is also St George, and the St George bottled beer stands comparison with most.

StGeorgesbeer.jpg

I, and I suspect Andy, would go back to Ethiopia (not Rwanda) like a shot if the opportunity presented itself.

Luckily, as Andy has already pointed out, their patron saint is also St George, and the St George bottled beer stands comparison with most.

StGeorgesbeer.jpg

Hopefully next summer....

St George was always a refreshing break from the hard work of the day!

Yup and as i think i raised the point th eother day the seperation between Britishness as the English we're the creators of the union and a seperate English indentity.

Really i thought we were the co-creators and that it needed agreement by the Scottish Parliment as well as the English one. to long the union has been protrayed as an English act. when in fact it was both sides who wanted the benefit such a Union would create.

After all we had out monarchy taken over by the Scottish King over a Century before the Act of the Union.

I have also surprisingly found that it was the Whigs(later to become the Liberals) that supported the Union whereas the Tories were against it.

It is strange that BNP and the NF use the Union Flag more than they do the St Georges flag but it is the latter that we feel is associated with racism.

Last edited:
I don't actually feel the St George Cross IS associated with racism. I'd say it's associated with our sporting teams more than anything else, a means of saying we are a different nation from the other parts of the UK. I don't fly the Union Flag because I consider myself English not British. I fly it at the time of World Cups etc because I'm proud to be a supporter of the team. In fact it's only ever in the sporting arena where we really are represented as England and not Great Britain.

If there's people that won't fly it then or turn their noses up when it's flown then that's just down to snobbery....because, shock horror they may be mistaken for a yobbo football fan. Well, **** 'em I say. I know my views and I'm comfortable I'm not a facist so will fly the flag with pride. If that means that upper and middle class ***** look down their nose at me then so be it.

I don't actually feel the St George Cross IS associated with racism.

But what if you were wearing a St George cross flag as a makeshift cape whilst throwing chairs through the window of a bar in France or smashing up a Volkswagen after Italia '90 or Euro '96?

Food for thought.

Last edited:
But what if you were wearing a St George cross flag as a makeshift cape whilst throwing chairs through the window of a bar in France or smashing up a Volkswagen after exiting Euro '96?

Food for thought.

As they were not fighting the French but the immigrant Algerians, Moroccans and Tunisians surely they should be considered Crusaders?

Back