• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Belfast

Jai

President ⭐
Anyone been? Anything particularly on the list to see and do?

Off there for a short break with the missus at the weekend. As tempted as I am to waste £100 travelling to Bury to watch us lose I thought this was a better option.

If you're staying nice and central (and please tell me you are) then The Crown Bar on Great Victoria Street is a great place to stop for a pint or two

https://plus.google.com/105957621991890489621/about?gl=uk&hl=en

I've only ever been there for work so have never had much chance to take a walk around the touristy areas, but a quick (daytime) peak down the Falls Road to see some of the murals is fascinating. When popping in to our shops along there is very quick to play up my Irish Catholic heritage!

Isn't it quite common to do a 'taxi tour' so that you can see some of the murals and stuff without looking too much like a bit of a dick?

Isn't it quite common to do a 'taxi tour' so that you can see some of the murals and stuff without looking too much like a bit of a dick?

Very probably; that sounds like a good idea. As I said, I was with work so was driven around by an area manager. Ended up going to some of the roughest, yet busiest, shops I've seen in my 15 years in the industry.

It's striking how close all that stuff is to the city centre as well. The very heart of the centre has recently been done up and feels really modern, but it's only a few hundred yards before you're right in amongst it. Some of the police stations still look like Fort Knox as well!

The Crown is nice and a National Trust site but it is a tourist pub. the one next to it (name escapes me) is more of a proper Irish pub, very lively and has live music every night - the place was really jumping on a Wednesday night when I was there.
You can do what is known as the "Peace Tour" in a cab or there are tour firms that run coaches. Interesting, sad, and still quite scarey. Still not areas to walk around!
There is also a new Titanic museum down at the shipyard I understand, haven't been but I understand very interesting. You can also venture up to Cave Hill which has great views out over the City I believe, haven't been for years. Ditto the Botanic Gardens, lovely park and I think it has a museum it used to in the 70s cuz I remember seeing a real mummy for the first time.
you can also get coach tours up the Antrim coast road, which is spectacularly beautiful and I think go as far as the Giant's Causeway.
Have fun, great place but I am biased as I was born there. But don't get into any politics with anyone, most people are just normal decent folks but......

I was planning to walk a bit of the Shankill and Falls Road to see some of the murals. Apparently it's safe to do so during the day, but whether it will feel safe is another matter I suppose, especially with the missus in tow.

I was planning to walk a bit of the Shankill and Falls Road to see some of the murals. Apparently it's safe to do so during the day, but whether it will feel safe is another matter I suppose, especially with the missus in tow.

Take your cross of St George or a union flag wrap it round you with pride and if the Republicans don't like it **** them :finger2:

Last time I was there I was supposed to be going from Ballykelly to Aldergrove to pick up stores, but the Corporal I was with had friends on one of the estates. He pulled up on a grass square surrounded by deeply menacing (to me anyway) run down houses, passed me a Browning 9mm (which weapon I had never fired) and said "I'll be back soon". Most scary hour I think I've spent, though I doubt I was in any danger in retrospect.

The Titanic center is worth a visit, if you have a car you can up to the giants causeway in an hour or so - there will be loads of Americans there though

Back