• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
Got to say love the lad to bits always up for banter and a true pro however I can now kinda understand why Sturrock wants somebody taller, I cant help thinking a taller keeper would have got to that yesterday!

Being a shorter keeper is not a problem IF your jumping can make up for that however I don't think Belford has enough jumping ability to make up for that and certianly not on this occasion and I feel sorry for the lad because that will always hold back his career in the game.

My first thoughts yesterday were "a taller keeper would have reached that".

Mr Smith is about 7 or 8 inches taller so hopefully height won't be a problem hopefully he can get down to the low shots as well.

Paul Smith is for mind just what we have lacked. Can't wait too see him play. He is a real class act and we are lucky to have him. Belford has done a decent job and will be a decent keeper but he has some obvious flaws. His handling is adequate but I think we have seen a few chinks opin his armour. His kicking under pressure also not great as we saw vs Crewe.

That said I have been glad to have him at times. I wish him all the best but I'm glad we have actually got a keeper like Smith at last.

Paul Smith is for mind just what we have lacked. Can't wait too see him play. He is a real class act and we are lucky to have him. Belford has done a decent job and will be a decent keeper but he has some obvious flaws. His handling is adequate but I think we have seen a few chinks opin his armour. His kicking under pressure also not great as we saw vs Crewe.

That said I have been glad to have him at times. I wish him all the best but I'm glad we have actually got a keeper like Smith at last.

Oxford away last season he was superb

Having just seen the "highlights" on the Football League Show it looked to me that he was unsighted.

In American Football they like their quarterbacks to be 6'3 or taller.

That's not usually for any particular physical advantage but for the decision making advantage of being able to see over the top of other players. I think this was one of the reasons Darryl got beaten by direct free-kicks so many times.

thought belford should have got to that header but what was the guy doing on the post ? he should of hacked that ball away as well as he was on that post when the header came in.

thought belford should have got to that header but what was the guy doing on the post ? he should of hacked that ball away as well as he was on that post when the header came in.

it was one of them moments time seemed to slow down watching it and you knew he aint getting to that - thats my view from in the north right behind it

think the guy on the line thought belford was gonna save it and got put off when he never, think it might have been tomlin on the post.

I like Belford but certainly agree that being five or six inches taller would make him a better keeper.
Felt he should have saved the goal yesterday as he went for the ball with his right hand across his body when it was going to his left hand side. He still only just failed to reach it so going with his left hand and probably without even diving and he may well have saved what was a looping rather than powerfull header.

Belford did get a hand to it but if Assombalonga hadn't come off the post he'd have had an easy clearance off the line.

Instead he was coming back towards the goal and was wrong footed, had he got anything on it, it would have been an OG.

I really rate Belford, but I'm looking forward to seeing Smith in action.

Have high hopes as basically PS has thrown the 1st two games waiting for him...

I disagree we need 2 senior goalkeepers! We currently have smith, Bentley and chambers on contract. Bentley and chambers still very inexperienced

I disagree we need 2 senior goalkeepers! We currently have smith, Bentley and chambers on contract. Bentley and chambers still very inexperienced

We don't have (or need) the budget for two senior keepers....we now have a number one keeper, bench duties can be performed by Bentley or Chambers and if there is a longer term injury we'll use the loan market. Seems crazy to waste the sort wages Belford would command on someone to sit on the bench.

Clubs at this level can't afford to have 2 senior keepers on the books.

I will say right now im not sure about belford. I thought i was last season and was gutted to see him go and happy to have him back but seeing that header i wouldve thought hed have got to it. im going to oxford tommorrow so maybe he'll prove e wrong or i'll get a good look at smith

Back