• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ben Coker - Episode 3

Ben has been a great servant for our club and in my opinion still has so much to offer. Would love to see him playing for us again next season.
In all honesty could we attract a better player?On his day the best full back in league 1.

Pretty good, shows Ben, our club and our fans in a great light! Would be great if he stays, as we know left back is a tough one to fill. If he isn't offered a deal I would be a bit surprised, but who knows - will depend on the new manager I expect.

Could we get Sam Hart back, who knows? Would Hendrie be okay- possibly, but did I see that he is out of contract as well? He is a good player, but plays a more defensive game!

Pretty good, shows Ben, our club and our fans in a great light! Would be great if he stays, as we know left back is a tough one to fill. If he isn't offered a deal I would be a bit surprised, but who knows - will depend on the new manager I expect.

Could we get Sam Hart back, who knows? Would Hendrie be okay- possibly, but did I see that he is out of contract as well? He is a good player, but plays a more defensive game!
Well all the players will know by now whether or not they will or not be released. 7 days is now up.

Well all the players will know by now whether or not they will or not be released. 7 days is now up.

Is that the rule then that all players have to be told whether they are being released or not within 7 days of the final game of the season?

Love following the 'Ben Coker' story, a real human interest tale, this is not a Premier League player, but an honest sportsman - who's livelihood is at stake. It is after all a short career and it amazes me those who have been abusive to Ben especially as I suspect they haven't ventured far into the world of working or indeed left home and have mortgage etc - rant over!

Season hasn’t finished yet. Last year it was 19 May when final lists were confirmed
The season certainly has for us. As far as I am aware and I will stand corrected if wong but we have 7 days after our last game to do this.

The season certainly has for us. As far as I am aware and I will stand corrected if wong but we have 7 days after our last game to do this.

I don't know if you're right or not Rob. However I remember Powell announcing he wanted to keep Timlin and Fortune at the end of last season, was it within 7 days that they were officially released? It seemed a lot longer to me :Unsure:

I would think that if anyone had already been told that they were released we would have heard.

I would think that if anyone had already been told that they were released we would have heard.

The Echo article confirming Timlin and Fortune were released was on 25th May last year. Admittedly it could have been Ron playing silly buggers.

Back on topic, I enjoyed the latest Coker vid. It's obvious he does care about the team. However, sentiment aside, I'd release him. He made it obvious he'd have been looking elsewhere if we got relegated. It's a huge risk to keep him on after such a bad injury, loyalty works both ways Ben.

Doesn’t really matter anyway. A player can be told he’ll be given a contract offer and then offered half his original wages.

Bentley and Payne for example weren’t released as they were given a contract offer but chose to turn it down and leave, we can make a derisory offer to Coker to stall if a new man is coming in or Ron isn’t convinced there’s much interest in him.

I have watched all 3 of the BBC videos, but in reverse order. It is clear from episode 3 how much he loves the club and the fans. Episode 1 showed the gut wrenching effect of such a serious injury and his determination to get back. How many of us have illnesses or injuries which stop our work in its tracks? Hopefully health and safety these days protect most of us from those career threatening moments.

I think we should view episode 2 in the light of several issues. It is part way through his recovery. A lot of hard work out done, but still a long way to go, nothing certain. And the team was in the doldrums too, to be honest most supporters probably thought we were in free fall to league 2 and Ben, committed player that he is, could not influence that, and also saw some fans turning on some players. Never good for morale. You only had to look at the response of the players to the crowds enthusiasm at the last two home games to see that encouragement CAN pay off (yes, eventually). Given uncertainty re which division we would be in, are we really surprised that there was little commitment to negotiations re contracts, in either side? BC is right, it is a cut throat business to a certain extent, and the fact that Timlin and Fortune were let go when initial signs were that they would stay on at the end of last season shows that there is often no room for sentiment. Probably the right decision in both cases as neither ripped up any trees at Stevenage or Chesterfield.

I would not hold a few sentences in a BBC documentary in the midst of trying uncertain times for both Ben and the club against him.

Should we offer a new contract to Ben? I would say yes, he is a class player, though it may be on terms related to fitness but then that is probably what he would likely get from other teams, and his agent will presumably be realistic about that. Perhaps try to get Hart back on loan for the season as he clearly enjoyed it and use him on the wing if Coker gets fit quickly.

I think keeping Coker is a no brainer. Probably missed no player other than Hopper more. Hart has been excellent but different players. Hart quicker to get balls in box. Coker always seems to twist and turn which gets us more players in box. Defensively neither amazing. Both would be great but unlikely.

I think keeping Coker is a no brainer. Probably missed no player other than Hopper more. Hart has been excellent but different players. Hart quicker to get balls in box. Coker always seems to twist and turn which gets us more players in box. Defensively neither amazing. Both would be great but unlikely.

Personally I prefer the Hart method of crossing. I always felt Coker could be a much better player if he delivered the ball quicker and more often. In fact the whole team failed so often at home this season to remotely test a defence in the first 25 minutes.

Elvis has been guilty of it but certainly made up for it when he dug that 87minute cross out v Sunderland. A classic case of you make your own luck in football.

Back