• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ben Coker-My Journey

With some of the money we've ****ed away on some ****houses give this bloke what he wants. Having seen what else we seem to be able to attract in that position we're not getting someone better than Cokes

We don't know what division we'll be in so don't know what we can offer. And if we go down it sounds like he's off. fair enough, especially after his last 2 years with injuries

Strong emphasis on contract talks in this one. I do make the club right in stalling talks whilst we're in this mess, but we'd be hard pushed to find a better left back than Ben IMO. Would personally love him to stay but doesn't look like he's too keen on League 2! Having said that, neither am I
His attitude to playing in League 2 should be shared by all the other players in the squad, sadly I'm not sure that some of them are quite as bothered about it as he is..

Great player and we will miss him i'm sure , however where does he believe he will end up , LG1 isn't blessed with clubs close to he's home and at he's age is he going to get a nice 2/3 year deal as a first team regular in Lg1 or higher? somehow i doubt it
He'll end up at Gillingham i guess. seems both our clubs are always swapping each others stock.

Football is give and take in the lower leagues. He's made it clear he doesn't want to be with us if we drop into League 2. But if we stay in League 1, then from listening to him and his agent, it sounds like they want a better deal, with his agent rating him the best left back in League 1. But hold on a minute. This is a serious injury prone player, as great as he is. and I've already said he's the second best left back I have seen playing for Southend, behind Chris Powell. Also, he may or may not come back as good as he was. And every crunching challenge we would fear the worst. He can pull up with no player near him. So I hope Ben takes all that into consideration before demanding the earth.

I am sure he must of spent more time on the sidelines than actually playing for us..

I am sure he must of spent more time on the sidelines than actually playing for us..

Surely he understands that as good a player that he is, any club giving him a contract would be taking a huge risk. We've already been burnt this season with Kiernan costing the club a fortune without being able to play. Then all the other injured players on top, including Ben. A waste of wages and weakening the team. I started this thread and posted his videos because like most Southend supporters, I am willing him back on his very difficult journey. I understand he has to think of his future, getting married soon, and maybe starting a family, but he has to be realistic given his injury record.

Surely he understands that as good a player that he is, any club giving him a contract would be taking a huge risk. We've already been burnt this season with Kiernan costing the club a fortune without being able to play. Then all the other injured players on top, including Ben. A waste of wages and weakening the team. I started this thread and posted his videos because like most Southend supporters, I am willing him back on his very difficult journey. I understand he has to think of his future, getting married soon, and maybe starting a family, but he has to be realistic given his injury record.

Is it him or will it be his agent in his ear?

The irony is that were he not a Southend player he's the sort that the club would sign hoping he would re-discover his best form and fitness and we'd all be saying 'Really, are you sure Ron?'.

Is it him or will it be his agent in his ear?

Well, it would have been a joint decision not to sign the last contract offer. It's Ben saying he doesn't want to play in League 2. (That's fair enough). It's the agent saying he's the best left back in League 1.(That may well be, when he's playing).

I'm undecided whether all this publicity is now a good or bad thing for Ben.

On one hand it stops him from drifting off the radar because his not playing and documents, and legitimises his recovery. On the other, in each interview he says 'Yeah, it was a bad one', which highlights a possible risk for a club, especially in that interview where he also talks about his leg break as well.

Back