• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nice article on Ben on page 28 of today's Metro which highlights his positive attitude to dealing with the injections required to deal with his diabetes (4 a day) well as the rejections he has had in football.

Last edited:
Ben is a great ambassador for diabetes, and often goes to speak to schools and such like. Top bloke.

Yes, a very pleasant surprise to see that feature in their football pullout. I've got my paper copy in my bag as I'm sure the children will want to read it tonight; happy to take photos of the interview and post them up on there if anyone wants.

Yes, a very pleasant surprise to see that feature in their football pullout. I've got my paper copy in my bag as I'm sure the children will want to read it tonight; happy to take photos of the interview and post them up on there if anyone wants.
Please Leo, I fell asleep before page 28 :(

Ben is a great ambassador for diabetes, and often goes to speak to schools and such like. Top bloke.

Never met him but he came across very well in the hanging up the boots Podcast. If you want to hear it it’s series 2 episode 8 and then episode 9 is Mark Gower.

For those with poor eyesight like me.

2z8leG.jpg

NcKZvV.jpg

fcCNoE.jpg

vasuef.jpg

Of the current squad Ben is my favourite player, and he's a nice bloke with it, have had a bit of banter with him on a few occasions.

Let's face it, if he wasn't a diabetic he wouldn't be in league one. He really is a top player and as others have stated a nice guy too. Coming from a family where diabetes is very much present, I can empathise with how difficult it can be to cope with. Therefore he can only be deemed a true inspiration. I really hope we keep him for as long as possible and do all we can to make him stay.

He really is a top, top bloke.....he was out there at the JB's Christmas Party mixing it with them in their training sessions - the kids loved it!

Great article, always baffles me how we have managed to keep hold of him. He would definitely do well in the Championship.

I think, Ricey, because of his injuries, The end of this season will be an interesting one.

Great article, always baffles me how we have managed to keep hold of him. He would definitely do well in the Championship.

Unfortunately for him, I honestly think it's because of his diabetes. It's such a complex thing to handle, especially as a sports person. Juggling sugar when exercising is extremely difficult. Factor in different weather conditions when you could burn more or less sugar too, makes it all the more complex.

Then you move on to injuries. A diabetic takes longer to recover. Adjusting insulin to match the level of inactivity you experience around said injury are common. Therefore balacing these factors showcases just how tough it is to cope with and also demonstrates why some clubs may be put off and not willing to take the risk.

All we can say is that Ben has seemingly battled adversity superbly and would probably state the above comments are not an issue and he copes fine. Which is what makes him such an amazing role model. However as I said, the above comments probably emphasise why higher clubs haven't gone 'all out' to sign him. When you look back over the years, there aren't many top level players that played with such severe diabetes. Gary Mabbutt being the most famous.

Back