• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ben Smith

Smudger

Manager
Just heard that Ben has a few offers from third division clubs (he's not off to Hornchurch) but would like a return to us if he could get it. Not an expensive option and he scored a lot of goals from midfield last year. If Maher goes then why not? His injury record over his career is not as bad as some suggest and only a serious mis-diagnosis by our old physio (forget his name) wrecked his season with us. He was great for Hereford last year and I know they will be gutted to lose him.

That would be great Mike - but tell Tilly not us!
wink.gif

If it was Robson and Wiggy that decided to ship him out maybe Tilly always rated him and would want to look into it...

Wasn't he injured for about the last 2 - 3 months of last season for Hereford...he certainly didn't play in the games I saw Hereford play live on Sky.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ May 24 2004,14:51)]Wasn't he injured for about the last 2 - 3 months of last season for Hereford...he certainly didn't play in the games I saw Hereford play live on Sky.
Yes he's been knackered again since Feberuary.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lordlumpington @ May 24 2004,14:54)]Yes he's been knackered again since Feberuary.

biggrin.gif
Therein lies the problem.

Yeovil fans I spoke to a few seasons ago thought he was brilliant. If Maher goes it will free up a lot of wages as he was one of the highest earners I believe so we might be able to extend our options.
Wouldn't mind Smithy here though as long as he's on a "games played" clause.

Where can i find some info about Smith as i don't really know much about him?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ May 24 2004,14:48)]If it was Robson and Wiggy that decided to ship him out maybe Tilly always rated him and would want to look into it...
No, it was Newman ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleet boy @ May 24 2004,15:58)]Where can i find some info about Smith as i don't really know much about him?  
rock.gif
Ben Smith

Born in Chelmsford in 1978. Trainee at Arsenal, joined Reading in the summer of 1996 and made one substitute appearance for the Royals before leaving to join Yeovil Town in March 1998. Made over 80 appearances, scoring 14 goals before moving to Southend United in June 2001, following former Yeovil manager David Webb to Roots Hall. He made one subsitute appearance for the Shrimpers but the patronage of ShrimperZone as shirt sponsor put the mockers (sp) on his career at Roots Hall and he suffered a training ground accident at the hands of Phil Whelan (and "suffered" a mis-diagnosis by physio John Gowans that could have ended his career) which put him out of action for the entire season; he was released by Newman in the summer of 2002. Joined Hereford United and has made over 50 appearances, scoring 18 goals. Alleged lover of Scriv ...

BTW - Gowans is physio at Hornchurch; no wonder Smith doesn't want to go there!

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 24 2004,17:43)]BTW - Gowans is physio at Hornchurch; no wonder Smith doesn't want to go there!
laugh.gif

After the rave reviews, and given how well Hereford have done this season, I'd be delighted to see him return - provided the money was right, of course!

Matt

Isn't he more of an attacking minded player though, compared to Maher having a more defensive style?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 24 2004,19:09)]Isn't he more of an attacking minded player though, compared to Maher having a more defensive style?
Yes; but then you could have him as competition for Jay Smith... or they could each play when the other is injured...

ghostface.gif

I see the "holding" role falling to either Bentley or Pettefer...

Matt

Sounds like a good signing. How much would he cost us though?
rock.gif

for those above that are making out BS could be a good replacement for maher - as far as I'm aware he hasn't gone and he bloody well better not be.

If the bloke read your posts he'd think he should be on his way as the player of the year isn't valued very highly by you lot!

by the way muppets - Jon Gowens was sacked by the Urchins a fortnight ago.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 24 2004,20:21)]for those above that are making out BS could be a good replacement for maher - as far as I'm aware he hasn't gone and he bloody well better not be.

If the bloke read your posts he'd think he should be on his way as the player of the year isn't valued very highly by you lot!

by the way muppets - Jon Gowens was sacked by the Urchins a fortnight ago.
Wasn't Gower player of the Season?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 24 2004,17:43)]BTW - Gowans is physio at Hornchurch; no wonder Smith doesn't want to go there!

WS
Not any more !

be good to see smith back if i remember correctly he wasnt such a bad player in the gmes that he played in before the injury but wont he cost southend money to pruchase him

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nattrazz Posted on May 25 2004,09:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
be good to see smith back if i remember correctly he wasnt such a bad player in the gmes that he played in before the injury but wont he cost southend money to pruchase him

He only played once as a sub,against halifax. At yeovil he was good yes,but at southend he was not as he wa always injured!

Personally i would not have him back, as we have enough injury prone players already.

Back