• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ben Toner as ref on Saturday

Ozzer

Coach⭐⭐
Ben Toner who has history of some questionable decisions against us is the ref at Grimsby. I’m sure Mick will have all the information on his involvement with us and his matches this season.

Don't know which I'm waiting for.... The refs report from mick or a report from a probation officer!
Chairman must have a discreet grin when this ref gets appointed to their games. Classic.
I believe on one of his previous matches , this ref had to be reappointed to a different game but can't recall much about it!
?

Last edited:
Don't know which I'm waiting for.... The refs report from mick or a report from a probation officer!
Chairman must have a discreet grin when this ref gets appointed to their games. Classic.
I believe on one of his previous matches , this ref had to be reappointed to a different game but can't recall much about it!
?

You might just have read about it here, a couple of months back - when we were still in the Cup:

As we look to maintain our proud 100% record against Boreham Wood, the referee is Ben Toner from Darwen near Blackburn. A sixth year referee, he is in his mid thirties and, by profession, a Science teacher at Fleetwood High School. He will be refereeing his fifth Southend match.

He first refereed Southend right at the beginning of his career when he looked completely out of his depth in the 1-1 draw at Gillingham in 2015/16. He cautioned Coker, Bolger, Leonard, McLaughlin, Deegan and Atkinson and just McGlashan for them.

He had over three years to establish himself before his next Southend match which was the 2018/19 shocking performance (us, not him) at Scunthorpe. A hefty 4-1 defeat and yellow for Demetriou and a couple of theirs. Very little was said about the refereeing, which is unusual for a defeat. He must have been okay.

Then came our last away match of that same season when Rochdale did the double over us for the first time in nearly 50 years. It was 1-0 to them in goals and also yellow cards.

Finally, just under a year ago he presided over our 3-2 defeat at Bolton with 2 yellows to them and none for us.

This will be his first ever Boreham Wood match.

He made the (minor) headlines last season when he was withdrawn from a scheduled match at Blackpool due to the fact that his name could sound rather like “bent owner”. I would have thought that would have made him an ideal choice.

His 10 matches thus far this season have produced a just slightly above average 34 yellows and 1 red.

Assisting will be Brummie Andrew Hendley and, making his Southend debut, Bradley Hall from Sutton Coldfield. Ryan Atkin from London stands by as Fourth Official.

Knew I'd seen it somewhere mick.
At least you and Napster have confirmed my memory is in working order?
Talking of refs, on a couple of occasions I was fortunate to chat to Paul alcock before our games. He was the referee observer and would wait sitting opposite me on the sofas in the little bar by the directors box. Lovely guy and good to talk to. Sadly passed away in 2018. My big problem was concentrating on what he was saying while having the constant urge to pretend to go to catch him as though he was falling over (ie..after a Dicanio push!!). Childish behaviour I know !!!
To be fair I thought he was an interesting bloke albeit quite reserved. I never asked him about that incident !!

Knew I'd seen it somewhere mick.
At least you and Napster have confirmed my memory is in working order?
Talking of refs, on a couple of occasions I was fortunate to chat to Paul Alcock before our games. He was the referee observer and would wait sitting opposite me on the sofas in the little bar by the directors box. Lovely guy and good to talk to. Sadly passed away in 2018. My big problem was concentrating on what he was saying while having the constant urge to pretend to go to catch him as though he was falling over (ie..after a Dicanio push!!). Childish behaviour I know !!!
To be fair I thought he was an interesting bloke albeit quite reserved. I never asked him about that incident !!

Yes, he was just 64 when he died.

In his last three League matches at Roots Hall he sent off the opposing goalkeeper in two of them and we won all three.

Yes, he was just 64 when he died.

In his last three League matches at Roots Hall he sent off the opposing goalkeeper in two of them and we won all three.
I saw him two or three times 'observing' - wonder if we won those! No way of knowing I'm guessing! One of the games was when Rons head was bandaged (I think!!- from memory). I remember him standing behind paul. Seems he was lucky for us

Back