• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think it is always important to sometimes take a look at the third world to realise just how much you do have, yes. Indeed, despite what is deemed as third world, their attitude to hard work is first rate.

That said i would be interested for you to highlight to us the benefit perks of Spain (since you have a good knowledge of Spain), compared to that of the UK.

Unemployment benefit (which is capped) is extremely generous for two years (provided that you've made full contributions in the previous six years).After that you get practically nothing.There is an unemployment subsidy after that, if you have dependants, but it's a very small amount and certainly not equivalent to a living wage.
Regular ss/housing benefits don't exist at all here in the way they do in the UK. That's why the long term unemployed work on the black and use food banks.

Unemployment benefit (which is capped) is extremely generous for two years (provided that you've made full contributions in the previous six years).After that you get practically nothing.There is an unemployment subsidy after that, if you have dependants, but it's a very small amount and certainly not equivalent to a living wage.
Regular ss/housing benefits don't exist at all here in the way they do in the UK. That's why the long term unemployed work on the black and use food banks.

So you would say, on the whole, that the system supports those that have worked, and encourages people to find jobs, in the medium term at least?

Can I just point out, for the matter of clarity, I used Hitler as an example of when people lay the blame to specific groupings, I was not, and did not intend to make a comparison between Hitler, Thatcher or this Government and indeed attempted to word it such.

As much as I despise the latter two, I am more than aware that Hitler is pretty much incomparable to anyone else over the last 2000 years; and I'd never attempt to link his behaviour to any other person living or dead (and indeed I hope I never have to).

So you would say, on the whole, that the system supports those that have worked, and encourages people to find jobs, in the medium term at least?

Short to medium term,yes.Though it doesn't help people who are self-employed, for example, and can longer afford to make their monthly NI payments.

Can I just point out, for the matter of clarity, I used Hitler as an example of when people lay the blame to specific groupings, I was not, and did not intend to make a comparison between Hitler, Thatcher or this Government and indeed attempted to word it such.

As much as I despise the latter two, I am more than aware that Hitler is pretty much incomparable to anyone else over the last 2000 years; and I'd never attempt to link his behaviour to any other person living or dead (and indeed I hope I never have to).

So there is someone else comparable who lived approx 2000 years ago? Jesus Christ? :stunned:

Oh I don't know. Uncle Joe Stalin did a pretty good job of slaughtering millions. And Chairman Mao wasn't without his charm.

Oh I don't know. Uncle Joe Stalin did a pretty good job of slaughtering millions. And Chairman Mao wasn't without his charm.

Hang on Grouty, weren't those two Commies? Surely they wouldn't have done bad things.

Back