• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Benefit Society !

My beef is wealthy OAPs receiving the state pension which of course is a benefit.

I'm retired and currently receive a private pension. I'll qualify for the state pension when I reach 65 and at that time I will say thank you very much and spend it. I stumped up for it for 45 years and always worked so I've done my bit to deserve it.............and I vote at GEs.

True. I have read stories along those lines and tried to find something online about it, but little luck so far.

Thing is, it is not easy to means test in the way that (say) child benefit is. With child benefit, you get it, or not, dependent on your income which you have to declare. Bit trickier to means test the wealth of a pensioner I'd have thought.

The explosion of pensioners living into their 80s 90s or beyond is already building a viper nest for society as the burden on the taxpayer grows!

Within a few year's mean testing will become the norm as those pensioners with large nest eggs will ultimately receive nothing or very little.

Tongue in cheek comedy moment it was meant to be as many believe housewives have an easy life.

Indeed I was but sadly some failed to see the ironic slant I used.
Apologies then, it didn't quite come over in the way you intended it to be read - at least to me. It's a subject I'm very sensitive to.

On the topic in hand, it does sound as if there are multiple claims in this particular family, but if you have any concerns, as has already been said, then report the family which you can do anonymously.

The explosion of pensioners living into their 80s 90s or beyond is already building a viper nest for society as the burden on the taxpayer grows!

Within a few year's mean testing will become the norm as those pensioners with large nest eggs will ultimately receive nothing or very little.

I'll still be paying tax on my private pensions. I can tell you I won't be a burden on anyone.

Child benefits were introduced after the war to encourage people to have children because the population had been so decimated. We now have an overcrowded country with immigrants popping kids out left right and centre. They're outdated. Why should you be paid to have children? If you can't afford them don't have them. If they were scrapped there might not be so many broken families.

and if those pensioners have the misfortune of getting frail or having Alzheimer's and have to go in to care those large nest eggs will quickly become small nest eggs. Meanwhile those who have not saved will get it all for free. No one said life was fair as my old mum used to say.
The issue for me about benefits is that they should be sufficient to prevent hardship but not so generous that the person would be better off not working and not so generous that the person loses the ability to strive to improve their lot through education or sheer hard work which I guess is what a lot have people have chosen to do.

My children have really felt the pinch since their child benefit was withdrawn by the government and have had to make ends meet by performing odd jobs around the house and Garden.

not sure why they should be a beef about "wealthy" pensioners receiving their pensions. These people have paid more than enough in tax over the years. If successive governments have sqandered this money over the years it's hardly their fault.

Tax and NI are not personal savings schemes. The money should go to those who need it.

Oh I never mentioned the family in question also receive free taxi ride to take the oldest children to and from school !..I think this is because the adults cannot be arsed to do it.

How many families in this country receive exactly the same in handouts?,The overall cost must be colossal,How many tax paying adults are needed to fund this insanity.

Oh I never mentioned the family in question also receive free taxi ride to take the oldest children to and from school !..I think this is because the adults cannot be arsed to do it.

How many families in this country receive exactly the same in handouts?,The overall cost must be colossal,How many tax paying adults are needed to fund this insanity.

How many kids do they have?

How many kids do they have?

3 aged 10 8 and 4.

The sad part IMO is these children have terrible role models and will probably end up claiming during their adult lives thus the cycle will be infinite.

So you think people who dont go out to work deserve more than a council house? Should we be offering 5 bedroom luxury accomodations to those who dont work? Maybe we can hook them up with one of those Porsche 4x4s too? Send their 18 kids to private school and make sure we send them to the Bahamas twice a year at least!

I'll vote for a government where my taxes are tripled so that I can watch the work-shy live in the lap of luxury.

I'm a working man but jheez! the generalisation on this thread is a joke some of my Good freinds are on benefits for one reason or another and not all are out to take our tax money for luxuries nor all have "18 kids" this is what is causing such a divide in society and actually causing more trouble from people out of work being able to get back into work because people are too quick to judge, yes MrsBlue has given an example but this is an extreme example id say 90% of the time people on benefits actually want nothing more than to be able to stand up and be counted for its just a poor decision or the birth of a child or just damn right bad luck that forces people ou of work and into that rutt

Child benefits were introduced after the war to encourage people to have children because the population had been so decimated. We now have an overcrowded country with immigrants popping kids out left right and centre. They're outdated. Why should you be paid to have children? If you can't afford them don't have them. If they were scrapped there might not be so many broken families.

Agree totally with this, might dissuade so many teenage girls from getting pregnant as well to entitle them to free housing.

How many? Millions? Thousands?

2.9 per 100 15-19 year old girls in Britain have a child. Works out at around 50,000 babies born a year with a teenage (well, 15-19yo) mother.

Mrs Pubey currently goes to a baby group where a 12 year old mum has turned up.:stunned:

ps who cares what benefits people get? Is it jealousy? Those who can't or won't get jobs means more for the rest of us.

Very noble !

I look at my tax deductions which with NI amount to over 600 per month then I have to pay council tax ,fuel tax,vat,fag tax,road tax,flight tax,and any other tax I forgot,

Jealous definitely not,outraged probably.

Back