• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
Every season after a run of mediocre performances or defeats, some over excited journalist will question one of the big four's title crudentials and, quite rightly, they'll be chastised for doing so. This season, however, Liverpool's season really could be over by this time next weekend.

A dramatic and hard-fought win over the champions and deadly rivals last weekend glossed over what has been a disastrous period for Rafa Benitez's Liverpool, who now find themselves seven points behind second place and ten points off the lead... a huge deficit to chase considering we're only just entering November.

Arsenal's youngsters could have won by a much larger margin than they did in the Carling Cup, and they face a dogged Birmingham side next Monday, who have a funny knack of digging in their heels against the big guns in this league. Failure to pick up a result could see them out of the title race earlier than ever before. They also face a crunch Champions League fixture away to Lyon during the week, a match they simply must win to stand a chance of qualifying for the knock out stages and the increased revenue streams it brings. Benitez wasn't given much of a budget to work with this season, he'll be given next to nothing if they don't bring home the Uefa bacon.

Taking yesterdays result aside, the most startling factor was just how poor they played. Benitez is famed to be amongst the most tactically astute managers in the game, but in taking off his two most potent players, Torres and Benayoun, while they were still level against a well drilled Fulham outfit, he exposed himself and his team in one fell swoop. Almost as famous as his tactical nous is Ranting Rafa's hot streak. The story of him, in the wake of a miraculous recovery in Instanbul, souring the party mood with a lecture on their defensive shortfallings is now famous and the Old Trafford faithful take great delight in reminding him of "the facts". Good managers may have the knowledge, but great managers are leaders of men and Benitez has shown he simply cannot work with fringe players who think they're worthy of regular football. It's a telling image of Ryan Babel and Andriy Voronin, two players previously lambasted by Benitez, now being responsibly for leading the Liverpool cause.

The lack of strength in depth is astonishing. Torres aside, there is simply nobody within the ranks capable of producing something out of nothing and without Gerrard, the role of creative spark rests solely on the shoulders of Yossi Benayoun. Yes, Alberto Aquilani still has to return, but losing two of your starting eleven should not be underhanding the squad as much as it has Liverpool and, with Gerrard rumoured to be out until December, the season could be all over by the time he returns to lead his side.

Benitez cut a dejected figure as he stomped off the Craven Cottage turf yesterday afternoon after a fittingly frightful display for this time of year. It's not beyond the realms of the possibility that, by the time Gerrard returns, Sammy Lee could be the one trudging off the turf.

To spend so much money and only have one decent striker is criminal. He couldnt give Veronin away, has converted Kuyt into a wide player which leaves him with half a game Torres.

Look at the teams around Liverpool and see how their strikers are performing, particularly Owen, Crouch, Keane, and Bellamy. Correct me if Im wrong but didn't Benitez get rid of all this lot?

To spend so much money and only have one decent striker is criminal. He couldnt give Veronin away, has converted Kuyt into a wide player which leaves him with half a game Torres.

Look at the teams around Liverpool and see how their strikers are performing, particularly Owen, Crouch, Keane, and Bellamy. Correct me if Im wrong but didn't Benitez get rid of all this lot?

Couldn't score in a brothel this season.

You are obviously anti Keane. My point was Benitez has let a bunch of strikers go who could be doing a job for him. How about Annelka? Did Benitez allow him to leave as well?

I hear a lot of Liverpool fans blaming the board for a lack of money blah blah blah but they managed to splash 18 million on Johnson, which in my view is a bad buy when you are so thin on the ground in other areas.

You are obviously anti Keane. My point was Benitez has let a bunch of strikers go who could be doing a job for him. How about Annelka? Did Benitez allow him to leave as well?

I hear a lot of Liverpool fans blaming the board for a lack of money blah blah blah but they managed to splash 18 million on Johnson, which in my view is a bad buy when you are so thin on the ground in other areas.

IIRC he was on loan at the club when Houllier was manager and they decided against making his move a permanent in favour of signing El Hadji Diouf!

EDIT : Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicola...n.2C_loan_to_Liverpool.2C_and_Manchester_City

I'm not anti-Keane at all, the facts speak for themselves and he's having a bad season by his standards... He's looked anonymous and even disinterested at times, the Liverpool debacle has destroyed his spirit for the game and I doubt he'll get that back at this stage of his career.

The problem with Liverpool/Benitez is the way they play; with Gerrard behind Torres, whoever Benitez buys will have to be happy with playing second fiddle to the pair of them. That restricts them to the experienced professional on the downward spiral (Owen) or the Young Gun willing to learn from the bench. The Young Gun won't always produce, and N'gog is paying for his splintered playing time with inconsistent displays.

I'm not anti-Keane at all, the facts speak for themselves and he's having a bad season by his standards... He's looked anonymous and even disinterested at times, the Liverpool debacle has destroyed his spirit for the game and I doubt he'll get that back at this stage of his career.

The problem with Liverpool/Benitez is the way they play; with Gerrard behind Torres, whoever Benitez buys will have to be happy with playing second fiddle to the pair of them. That restricts them to the experienced professional on the downward spiral (Owen) or the Young Gun willing to learn from the bench. The Young Gun won't always produce, and N'gog is paying for his splintered playing time with inconsistent displays.

Agreed with all of that, N'gog looks very good at times very raw but he has got talent. Aside from him we have nothing else upfront Voronin should be put out of his misery, Babel's confidence looks shot and Kuyt very good hard working player he is can't really do the lone striker role.

Agreed with all of that, N'gog looks very good at times very raw but he has got talent. Aside from him we have nothing else upfront Voronin should be put out of his misery, Babel's confidence looks shot and Kuyt very good hard working player he is can't really do the lone striker role.

We are Southend! Although you're right we dont have much up top.

A barmy decision to play Voronin in the centre of an Attacking Midfield ahead of Babel... Voronin can barely play his natural position.

Voronin even looks like a donkey! He doesn't just play like 1!

******* Gerrard... I couldn't believe it when Ladbrokes had Birmingham at 10/1 to win tonight. Jerome sticks them 2-1 up and I'm dancing round the fricking living room. Then Gerrard comes on and scores a penalty. I didn't see it, but It definitely wasn't a penalty and one that cost me £100.

******* Gerrard... I couldn't believe it when Ladbrokes had Birmingham at 10/1 to win tonight. Jerome sticks them 2-1 up and I'm dancing round the fricking living room. Then Gerrard comes on and scores a penalty. I didn't see it, but It definitely wasn't a penalty and one that cost me £100.

That sucks, don't blame you on taking that bet. How was Benitez's goal?

Back