• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

duncan bulgaria

Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Woman
Guys

Has anyone heard a rumour of Liverpool coming in for Bentley and a potential contract being signed for him to stay here fo the remainder of the season then he will go to them ??

Just one of my pals was stating it as a done deal yesterday when chatting to him , one of these friend of a friend jobbies so not reading too much into it .

I don't know anything about this but having chatted to Dan some weeks back he said his main concern is Southend and would be happy to give it another full season here. However if a Bid too good to refuse comes in I don't think he'll have much option if the Club decide to sell. I said on Saturday or Sunday it wouldn't surprise me if the vultures start circling.

I hope not; I truly hate this culture of the Prem clubs stealing the best of youth and letting rot away in the reserves for years. Really proud to have a Southend youngster like Dan showing off his potential and our great youth system with a string of top draw performances. Would just be another piece ripped from the heart of our club when he goes, which is a sad indictment of the way our sport is going.

I think we will see big things from Dan and I am glad we got him signed up on a long contract. I wouldn't begrudge him a big move but I would to have him for another season after this one.

It is almost inevitable that he will go on to a top club. On the plus side though is the good chance that we could get him back on a season long loan, this often happens with goalkeepers to give them much needed match experience, a big fee would also be useful!!

I heard it's a four way battle between Liverpool, Valencia, Inter Milan and Havant & Waterlooville.

I think we will see big things from Dan and I am glad we got him signed up on a long contract. I wouldn't begrudge him a big move but I would to have him for another season after this one.

No sure what you meant matt but the long contract was to make sure theres enough time left on it to get in good money. As opposed to keeping him here for that length of time. I'm guessing that what you meant

Can a goalkeeper make the leap from League Two to Premiership more easily than an outfield player? I mentioned on another thread that I doubt we will be able to move up the divisions quickly enough to keep Bentley but the fact that he rose through the youth squad may endear himself a little bit more to us. I do reckon we will have to get promoted this season in order to have much chance of hanging on to him.
Perhaps a large leap forward may not necessarily be the best thing for his career. Jack Butland comes to mind, who's career looked gold-plated (perhaps it still will be) ..........but now seems to find it difficult to get a game for rock-bottom Barnsley in the Championship and at Stoke, now his mother club, I think I'm right in saying that he is their third choice keeper...............BEWARE DAN!

Cant see it myself. He has done well this season, but Liverpool, really ........

Can a goalkeeper make the leap from League Two to Premiership more easily than an outfield player? I mentioned on another thread that I doubt we will be able to move up the divisions quickly enough to keep Bentley but the fact that he rose through the youth squad may endear himself a little bit more to us. I do reckon we will have to get promoted this season in order to have much chance of hanging on to him.
Perhaps a large leap forward may not necessarily be the best thing for his career. Jack Butland comes to mind, who's career looked gold-plated (perhaps it still will be) ..........but now seems to find it difficult to get a game for rock-bottom Barnsley in the Championship and at Stoke, now his mother club, I think I'm right in saying that he is their third choice keeper...............BEWARE DAN!

Southampton signed Gazzaniga from Gillingham for a fair amount and IIRC he had a poor run in their first team while in the Premiership which meant Southampton signed Boruc.

Joe Hart did it with Shrewsbury, Man City sent him out on loan to Tramere, Blackpool and then Birmingham to build up his experience and helped him to develop. He has played 54 games for Shrewsbury but I think if they were to sign him he would be best staying here to see out the season then a loan to league one or champ next season.

I think he is going places and as much as I would love to keep him I wouldn't want to stop his career developing. We are also very lucky in the fact we also have Luke Chambers and recently u18s capped Teddy Smith waiting in the wings. Bentley signed a long term contract so if I were Ron Martin I would be seriously holding out for some big bucks and as Bentley has already stated he is a Southend lad he won't be in any rush to move.

Sell him for as much as possible and bring in Teddy Smith, crucial for any lower league club is the ability to produce young talent and sell them on.

Sell him for as much as possible and bring in Teddy Smith, crucial for any lower league club is the ability to produce young talent and sell them on.

Certainly is part of how it is for a club like ours works, but you also want to get some use out of them, and in a year he might be worth twice what he is now.

Seriously doubt there is any truth in this, but Bentley will no doubt gain interest at some point.

No chance of getting into a Liverpool side in the near future so if he was to go somewhere like that he wouldnt be playing first team football unless he went out on loan again.

Reckon he will be here at least another year.

My mate down the pub, whose sister slept with her husbands brother, who knows a guy who got a dog from a guy who knows Ron Martin, said that Ron Martin walked onto the pitch saturday to confront Bentley over a deal he'd received from the guy next to him for £6 and a pack of Haribo in return for his signature for Real Madrid

Heard it here first

My mate down the pub, whose sister slept with her husbands brother, who knows a guy who got a dog from a guy who knows Ron Martin, said that Ron Martin walked onto the pitch saturday to confront Bentley over a deal he'd received from the guy next to him for £6 and a pack of Haribo in return for his signature for Real Madrid

Heard it here first

No I didn't.

I think Bentley will move on to a big club. Not this season definitely or maybe even next! He comes across as a very grounded person who is close to his family so I doubt he would move to rot in the reserves. I think he would only move if it was the right one where there was a progressive path to the first team

Back